MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

troublesome tiger

troublesome tiger - Forums [Biker Match] troublesome tiger - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

troublesome tiger

hi all , well the saga of the tiger goes on .... this time it will not start ????? it goes like this . turn on ignition , it does the needle sweep thing , when i hit the start button it spins the motor for about two seconds , then nothing ? if i try again the starter solenoid clicks once then i dont get anything when i push the starter ? , battery is fully charged as indicated by the optimate ? so where do i start .... lol thats apt ???????? help ??????
cheers
kev

Update Reply
mickyd @ 05/10/2011 19:23  

Bad/ loose connection on battery or solenoid or starter, goosed battery, fooked solenoid or starter!
Take your pick, have fun!

http://www.bikersoracle.com/tiger/forum/index.php

May be worth poking yer nose in here!

Update Reply
YID @ 05/10/2011 20:26  

I think YID is right about goosed battery. Had this same trouble with my bike the battery indicated fully charged on meter but when i pressed starter button turn over for couple of seconds then clicking from solenoid. The battery had two dead cells in fact you could see a slight bulge on one side of the battery.

Update Reply
PaulXXX @ 05/10/2011 22:04  

hi guys , thanks for the info i will have a look at the battery tomorrow ?? at least if its still the same we move forward to the hard stuff ..... cheers so far

Update Reply
mickyd @ 05/10/2011 22:18  

bad earth

Update Reply
steven4004 @ 06/10/2011 20:35  

1. Check the connnections, if the starter relay is clicking then power is going to it.

PS, put a screw driver acros the connections to check to see if the motor will turn over

2. If the connections are ok, check the battery with a voltmeter, not running it show about 12.5, 14.5 when running.

3. If all the above are ok then check the starter motor, take it off and try it on a car battery with some jump leads.

4. If that is ok, start to suspect the starter clutch, if I remember rightly the sprag clutch on the triumphs is suspect, has it been replaced already?

Update Reply
kaycat @ 08/10/2011 17:55  

Hi guys , changed the battery today and low and behold the thing fired up .... so i guess i can rule out most of the mentioned parts but just for good measure i have put a meter across the battery to see if its getting a charge .... now here lies the trouble .... 12.4 volts at tick over ... and according to the manual should be 14.5 at 2000 rpm ... what have i got ???? ye you guessed ... 12.4 so should i set fire to it now ????????

Update Reply
mickyd @ 08/10/2011 21:43  

Hi mickyd sorry did not get back to you over battery type i use. But noticed your last posting and remembered a web site on Triumphs i thought you may find interesting.

http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/104504-charging-system-diagnostics-rectifier-regulator-upgrade.html

Hope this helps

Update Reply
PaulXXX @ 09/10/2011 09:50  

I had similar problems on my 94 Trident. (poor starting and not much more than 12.5v output when running) It was the main power feed cable not holding the charge primarily, as well as other wiring breakdowns assisting the problems! An electrician mate changed a lot of wiring on the bike as he said the looms were only built to last 7 years or so, he reckoned mine had done well to last as long. It took him two full days to solve most of the electrical problems as he modified and repaired rather than done a full loom replacement. Apparently a lot of the original connections were furred up and not the best type to use even when they were new. Keeping costs down seemed to be Triumph's way for the unseen parts! Solenoid problems can be fixed by putting in an old superdream solenoid from a 'scrappy'. They are supposedly bulletproof but will need a bit of fiddling to fit in the space available.

Update Reply
Rattay @ 09/10/2011 10:12  

Just edited this post as it sent previous post twice! Ratty

Update Reply
Rattay @ 09/10/2011 10:12  

Another good forum is Tiger1050.com with good tech bit, might be worth a look put "charging fault" in the seach field and it lists a few links that might point you in the right direction.

Update Reply
nozz @ 09/10/2011 11:14  

Hi , just a quick update on this problem .... it was the generator windings burnt out and the reg/rec ...... so hence no charge !!!!!! all sorted now ,thanks to everyone for there help and advice , regards kev

Update Reply
mickyd @ 02/01/2012 11:57  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email