MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Motorway Speed limit rising to 80 mph

Motorway Speed limit rising to 80 mph (3) - Forums [Biker Match] Motorway Speed limit rising to 80 mph (3) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Motorway Speed limit rising to 80 mph

Just back from Italy and i can definately say they take no notice of ANY road signs, speed limits, lanes, even direction on 1 way systems lol

My big bug bear on motorways are folk who hog the middle lane at 55mph whether there is anything in the inside lane or not. Which means that you have to pull over 2 lanes just to pass them !!!

Do think its time we changed with the times, i mean we have altered the inner city speed limit to adjust to more pedestrians, so why not the motorway limit for more cars.

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 05/10/2011 16:53  

I first started biking abroad in 1979 back then everyone except the eyeties drove really well, about 10 years ago I noticed that most countrys drivers were adopting the uk mentality even the must do it by the rule book Germans, the French have always been the best at letting a bike pass on national roads, sometimes you might not want to pass but have to or get peppered by the crap thrown up from the verges when they pull right over.

Update Reply
harry worth @ 05/10/2011 17:46  

Be intresting to see if they'll enforce the law more on the motorways i.e more speed cameras, traps etc if they increase the limit to 80mph as they can say you've got no excuse we've just increased the limit for you or they won't bother and it just encourages more folk to drive over the ton (when the traffics actually moving that is) .....

Update Reply
Rooster roo @ 05/10/2011 18:21  

most people dont seem to know how to join a motorway. they just tootle along at 60. if theres a lorry or car in the inside lane they wont accelerate and pull in front of it, the'll put the brakes on and slow down to 50 to drop in behind it. (tough luck for any poor sod behind them) or they just barge onto the motorway into any poor sod in the inside lane. this ones a womans favourite.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/10/2011 02:06  

I might be being a bit sceptical here, but !! Wasn't there a fall in petrols sales at Tescos announced this week, so i guess its just the fatcats trying to recoup some money by letting us lot ride/drive faster it'll boost petrol sales... I was watching an old episode of Top Gear on Dave t'other week and the petrol price was 94.9 bugger me that was only a few years ago, now look at it; in another 5 years it'll be almost double again Yep lane disipline is shi*e in the UK, you have morons sitting in the 2 outside lanes doing 40-50mph, i undertook one last week and i got all the flashing headlamps and mad tooting, i was tempted to stop and say "well then move over you fkwitt" The reason lane disipline is so much better in France, etc, is they will get an on the spot fine if caught sitting in the outsides lanes, where as in this country the cops are too busy chasing speeders doing 31 in a 30.... makes me mad

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/10/2011 15:37  

XK... If you want trucks out of the middle lane and to stay in the near side lane, then you would never get on or off the motorway because it would just be one long line of slow trucks... My last truck was limited to 53mph.. No matter how much I complained nothing was done about it... Some foreign drivers only do 50mph over here, esp if they are in no rush.

Your idea is a no brainer...

I drove trucks for 18 years, the same ones that JP drives... Its not an easy job as it seems...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/10/2011 04:50  

No worries Debs, jp has promised to educate me at the Autumn Camp next week. I'm looking forward to both. ps - how's yr foot?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/10/2011 11:20  

XK... Its still attached to my leg and getting better thank you...

just fed up that I cant go out on my bike... grrrr ..

Have a great time at the camp..

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/10/2011 15:13  

off topic a bit, but the main thing which annoys me about trucks (actually any driver, but trucks have a lot more inertia) are the ones who seem to think its a good idea to sit right up your back end - so all you can see is their radiator grill in the mirror- whether on a motorway or an A road - and especially if the speed is being dictated by traffic infront. I give trucks plenty of room when I am around them no matter what I'm riding or driving, and it pees me off when they don't grant me the same. "yeah little car, I don't really car if your kids are in the back seat, and we're going past a school at hometime - I'm still going try an push you along because I can. and even with a full wagon I still mistakenly believe I can stop in a shorter distance than you . . ." Well if they raise the speed limit to 80 I wonder if they will be stricter with breaking the limit or still give the 10% leeway?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/10/2011 16:00  

tc... We will always get the good and bad drivers whatever they drive.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/10/2011 16:46  

oh yeah Deb - this I know

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/10/2011 16:59  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email