MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Suzuki Intruder 125 VL Classic

Suzuki Intruder 125 VL Classic - Forums [Biker Match] Suzuki Intruder 125 VL Classic - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Suzuki Intruder 125 VL Classic

Hope someone can help. My starter Motor is dead.... cant even be reconditioned so am looking for one.

Does anyone know where I could get a re-condition one as it would be cheaper than new obviously.???

Hope someone can help.

Many thanks

Pombix

Update Reply
Pombix @ 28/09/2011 20:51  

omg omg omg I'm so sorry to hear this This happened to mine in July and I was broken hearted I searched high and low for 5 weeks. Put searches in with part finder, find a part and other databases of spares finders. had an alert set up on ebay, put an add on gumtree, put cards up at the biker cafes in the local area, rang or emailed loads of places After 5 weeks I gave up and coughed up for a new one from Robinsons foundry I hope you are sitting down....£384 + Vat...best part of £450 I really wish you better luck than I had finding a second hand one

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 28/09/2011 21:43  

Hi Pombix
Are you sure it is the starter motor that's dead. Have you checked the fuses and starter motor relay, it can even be your battery.

Update Reply
PaulXXX @ 28/09/2011 21:48  

Hey Minnie

Thanks for the reply. OUCH!!!! Oh dear.... looks like am not going out for a ride out soon..... will need to save up a bit....

Looking on Ebay at mo.

do you have a number for Robinsons ???

Cant seem to find a Starter Motor, so will I have to buy a whole new engine????

Have found one on Ebay for 150 EUROS + VAT . Is that any good?

Cheers

Update Reply
Pombix @ 28/09/2011 21:51  

a starter was sold on ebay just before mine broke. It was from a bike beingsold for bits and it went for £151! So 150 euros sounds good to me but check the starter is included! Robinsons Foundry no: 01227 454366 but they will probably charge p&p to add insult to injury. You will be able to get your local bike repair shop to order it. Do you know anyone who can do machining / lathe type jiggery pokery who would help you out??? Cos if you do apparently a starter from a suzuki GN 125 can be adapted, and you can pick those up second hand for £45. Mine was too badly burned out to try this ( I suspect yours is too if you've investigated getting it reconditioned & it can't be) http://www.suzukiownersclub.co.uk/showthread.php/40738-...rter-Motor

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 28/09/2011 22:14  

Hi Paul, Yes I called the RAC and the guy tested everything.... ( I think), took it out and I took the starter Motor to a place he recommended to have it re-conditioned, they then rang me back the next morning and said the magnets were broken inside and could not be repaired. so a new one was needed.

I cant afford 300 for a new one at the moment. so any suggestions would be appreciated. since am a new rider.

Minnie, thanks for the suggestion. will try and find a GN125 online on Ebay.

The RAC guy offered to come back once I have a new one and put it back for me, which is very kind of him.

so far I have looked at various threads on here , so I followed them and rang several places but no luck....

the sun is shining but am not.... since its probably the last few days of sun we are going to get in the UK for some time...... ARRRRGGGGHHHHH.....

thank you all for the help. I will find one soon.... I hope.

Cheers

Pombix

Update Reply
Pombix @ 29/09/2011 10:35  

Hi Pombix Try www.partfinderuk.co.uk over 200 motorbike breakers goodluck hope you find one

Update Reply
peter27 @ 29/09/2011 14:27  

Thanks Peter, have already been onto them. no Luck! still looking. Have got the original Starter Motor with me to compare, apparently the magnets have gone.... whatever that means. so it looks like I will have to find a new one.

Any ideas about the "far east Market"???? any links available would be a help.

Thanks for the help guys.

Minnie if you are ever down this neck of the woods..... drop me a line as I am always looking for riding buddies. Being single I get hit on by men a lot and dont like it very much so I prefer riding with Lady riders.....

Preparing to do my Theory test soon....

Cheers

Pombix

Update Reply
Pombix @ 29/09/2011 15:31  

Hey Pombix I took my burned out starter to be rewound but it couldn't be fixed...BUT the magnets are intact I never got round to organising to get the starter back from the workshop in Sheffield it went to. I could ring him to see if he still has it and if the guy hasn't got rid of it, you are welcome to it....maybe the firm you got to look at reconditioning can cannibalise & make a good starter out of two knackered ones??? We were also convinced that some enterprising Chinese bike company must have copied this model of bike....well I never came across any reference. And think about it...would any self respecting chinese manufacturer copy such a dotty design??? 125 V-twin with dodgy starter motor...clearly decided not to touch it with a barge pole lol It will be worth it when you get it sorted hunny....I'm so glad I got mine going again.

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 29/09/2011 20:29  

Complete engine on the 'bay with less than 3.5k miles for £400.

Got yourself a spare engine then too.

Update Reply
S24_SDJ @ 29/09/2011 20:57  

Thanks S24 will go look. Have spent hours online for last 2 days with no luck.... how frustrating.

Thanks

Update Reply
Pombix @ 29/09/2011 21:06  

Hi Pombix,
Found 2 links on MCN forum about Suzuki 125VL Intruder starter motor, hope this is helpful to you.
www.westcountrywindings.co.uk
and
http://www.londonessexautoelectrics.co.uk/

Update Reply
PaulXXX @ 29/09/2011 22:15  

message below that I got from steve at londonessexautolectrics: Hi Margaret im afraid we do not keep the VL125 starter in stock. The starter can be rebuilt only if the magnets inside have not broken up. You can send it to us to asses a cost to recondition it for you. Kind regards Steve 01992-523660

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 29/09/2011 22:41  

@Paul, thanks for the links, had already found those and checked it out...... Like Minnie did, have been all over the Net, so far no luck.

@ Minnie will PM u .

Thanks everyone for looking and helping. I really appreciate it.

Astrid xxxx

Update Reply
Pombix @ 30/09/2011 09:35  

Did you have any luck with finding a starter?
Any updates?

steve

Update Reply
Junction47 @ 14/10/2011 22:07  

hopefully we got a dead starter to Pombix that she can take the magnets from Junction - just watching this space for any updates to see whether the old one can be resurrected.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/10/2011 22:59  

Me watching too tcat....it's a bit like giving consent for organ donation when a deceased loved one passes...I know it's just an inanimate object (very inaminate lol) but so want some good to come out of the passing of my poor little starter motor
Cheers for your services to ladies on 125s, you're a

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 14/10/2011 23:34  

keeping fingers crossed then

Update Reply
Junction47 @ 14/10/2011 23:52  

pinkies & tootsies crossed lol Hey our karma should be going up!...mine's gone down lol

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 15/10/2011 00:03  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email