MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Looking for a weekend away with great roads and all the other trimmings of views, walks etc etc

Looking for a weekend away with great roads and all the other trimmings of views, walks etc etc - Forums [Biker Match] Looking for a weekend away with great roads and all the other trimmings of views, walks etc etc - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Looking for a weekend away with great roads and all the other trimmings of views, walks etc etc

Wonder if anyone can help . I'm going away for the weekend next week, weather permiting i will going on my bike. I live in Louth in Lincs and only really want to travel around 100-120 miles to my destination, so Peak district, Yorkshire and Norfolk are my choices. At the moment I am toying with Scarborough, Whitby,Matlock,Ashbourne or Cromer. Has anyone got any other ideas for what i'm looking for please. Thanks in advance

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/09/2011 16:24  

Dave,
If you end up going north to whitby, try to stop near "whistle stop cafe"
It's in centre near river, biggest bike meet cafe around, lots
Friendly folk.
ALL the roads out either west to "hole of horcom" Pickering helmsley thirsk.
Or north to "staithes" saltbur Redcar via coast n back over moors
Via stokesly guisbourgh are some of the county's best bike roads.
Shh!!! Don't tell anybody!

Update Reply
oldyeti @ 25/09/2011 17:10  

Whitby !!! Great walking too :>> Not sure when you were last at whistle stop, yeti, but no longer a biker stop as such...have to fight for space with the cars and pay :<< but there are still a couple of free spots just outside the cafe and it's still a biker-friendly stop.

Robinhood Bay always my favourite but need to park outside the village and walk in:>

Update Reply
Alice2 @ 25/09/2011 17:56  

@ alice, always during day during week! (well very ocasionally sat afternoon) but know waht you mean though i never pay? (aaahem)

Update Reply
oldyeti @ 25/09/2011 20:45  

theres a good pub near ipswich ,quiet and free camping , ,

Update Reply
Jack Jones @ 25/09/2011 21:43  

lol @ alice. . .Robin hood bay. . . You need to walk in. What she omitted to say is you need to walk down. . . Then walk up again lol. It's lovely but don't forget your oxygen cylinder! if you fancy the peak district you could head to leek / ashbourne area then join up with the bm lot doing the roaches weekend and do the ride out and in climbing around on the roaches rock formation

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 25/09/2011 21:44  

Save Cromer for the ride-out from the Autumn camp at Friskney, 14 - 16 Oct - see Events.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/09/2011 22:11  

Sounds like a nice ride your proposing Dave, up to Whitby than Scarborough, Matlock, Asbourne and Cromer than back home. Do able in a day but think you ought to call in at Squires as well

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 26/09/2011 00:21  

Thanks all, I think it's going to be whitby, which i was secretly hoping for. Especially thanks to Bill who thinks i'm superman by travelling to all those places in one day on a blade...my bloody shoulders are aching thinking about it, but thanks anyway

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/09/2011 09:20  

Dave that's all in a days riding for Bill and he'd probably find another couple of stops on his way home We were in Whitby a few weekends ago and yes it's a great place to visit and the ride across the moors is awesome We called in Squires for breakfast and called back later for dinner as it's about halfway for us coming from Derbyshire Have a safe ride ....HB

Update Reply
honda baby @ 26/09/2011 17:37  

your right H B would also take in Hutton- le-Hole on the way there, Seaways on the way to Squires and could do with a biker cafe between Ashbourne and Cromer, then Willingham Woods on the way back. Easy Pesy nice ride on a Fireblade

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 26/09/2011 18:19  

I suppose that's why we are called southern shandy drinkers!, I'm a mockney from watford

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/09/2011 18:34  

well with you saying Louth i thought you were nearly a northerner LOL, if your out that way you could also look in at Helmsley market place which is a popular bike stop and dont forget Squires at Sherburn in Elmet just of the A63 on the B1222 near Leeds its the biggest and best biker stop in Britain

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 26/09/2011 19:05  

Thanks Bill, I've had a look at squires and may get a visit, depends what the wife wants. Well i know what she wants but i won't go into that. Thanks for your suggestions

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/09/2011 19:11  

Cromer's lovely and if your going to do any walking, FLAT lol We also have some of the best coast roads around, this would give the Mrs some lovely scenery to look at as your pilly.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/09/2011 19:25  

Bill do you get commission (cornish pasty & milky coffee) every time you mention squires???

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 26/09/2011 22:30  

i'v been sused Min how did you know, shall have to see Jason about this

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 26/09/2011 23:56  

Just read the above comments and know why i moved to Ireland. All those places are old haunts of mine but was hacked off with more and more cameras and cops. Wherever you end up let us know how many times you were pulled over by traffic...... You thought about ireland? Actually if you're thinking of Peak district Bakewell has some nice places to stay and visit and some good roads around. Get a map and stay off the regular bike routes like the A6!

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 27/09/2011 08:19  

Thanks for the heads up on that kwak, I live out in the sticks and working cameras and police are non existent, so i'm sure i would have been caught out somewhere oop north. Your ref about Ireland, as much as i like Ireland i thought the road surfaces were worse than here, I did travel up from east to the west coast, not sure if all roads are bad , but the one i went on was terrible

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/09/2011 09:25  

Thanks to all who suggested Whitby as a weekend away, have to say it was bloody brilliant, I will be going back. Thanks again

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/10/2011 14:45  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email