MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle Events & Rides Out

Weekend on a canal barge - do you fancy it?

Weekend on a canal barge - do you fancy it? (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Weekend on a canal barge - do you fancy it? (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle Events & Rides Out /

Weekend on a canal barge - do you fancy it?

didn't know there were any canals in brum....
Lol, seriously though, it'll be an ace weekend that, so jealous i won't be able to do it as rarely can get a friday off due to family commitments, kiss was a big exception! I hired one once just for the day and it was most excellent!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/09/2011 22:15  

the usual time/money constraints apply but I'd be interested

Update Reply
HippyRockChick @ 20/09/2011 22:20  

Great idea - I'm def interested if room for one more? Sounds great and with all mod cons

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/09/2011 22:47  

I think we're up for this, depending upon location/schedule. Having hired one, like Graham, for the day and realising how long it takes to get anywhere though, is a long weekend going to be enough? Hopefully there'll be a suitable weekend route with one of the companies that will suit everyone.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/09/2011 00:06  

a would need a life jackety thingy a cant swim..........but it sounds like a madhat adventure sooooooo yup am in

Update Reply
madhat @ 21/09/2011 00:14  

id love to do it ........ used to do the canals alot with mum and dad when i was a bit only a bit younger lmao .,,,,,,,,,, so much fun

Update Reply
poshbird @ 21/09/2011 00:52  

realising how long it takes to get anywhere though I can't see us making it any further than the 1st pub

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/09/2011 09:03  

Good to see ome interest i shall keep checking costings for different dates then work out what looks best :)

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 21/09/2011 09:48  

Personally I would like to have a destination for the trip as all canals have pubs every few miles

Update Reply
JP @ 21/09/2011 10:32  

Had a week on Llangollen canal last year.great fun........sounds like it could be cosy..........could be up for it :)

Update Reply
6bikerkev9 @ 21/09/2011 10:41  

Am looking at different start points and costings, which seem to vary greatly on were you start off from.

And just for that touch of useless information did you all know that Birmingham has more miles of canals than Venice lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 21/09/2011 10:54  

Short breaks usually mean getting as far as you can in a couple of days then turning round (jolly good fun in a 10 berth boat!) and coming back again How far you get depends on the time of year & hours of daylight...you want to be moored up at the last pub of the day by nightfall lol Max cruising speed 4 mph, couple of pub stops every day, 8-10 (?) hours cruising per day, Locks to negotiate...so you aren't going to get very far in a couple of days....but it really doesn't matter cos the pace of everything is different on the cut. It's the most amazing chill out while being active experience For max fun potential find a canal with flights of locks or staircases or just loads of locks...will give the crew summat to do other than getting bladdered all day, and will be easy with that many hands on board As well as loads of pubs, kingfishers, otters, herons, water voles, ducks...and really nice people Don't discard canals that go through towns & cities cos that can be just as fascinating...and loads of unexpected wildlife too even in the middle of Manc or Brum ...I really hope you can pull this together....it's a fab experience

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 21/09/2011 11:00  

A small narrow boat packed with people belching and farting,,,,would even be worse if the men joined in as well ouch

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/09/2011 11:08  

pmsl @craig I'm thinking about the snoring....sleeping arrangements are very (ahem) cosy Then there's the issue of the on-board waste tank...and how quickly it gets filled up.......

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 21/09/2011 11:17  

I'm just going to stand at the front and shout 'I'm flying Jack'

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 21/09/2011 12:12  

thought you were "brummie jackie",,,not flying jack

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/09/2011 12:15  

remind em to slap you when i see you lumpy bumpy man lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 21/09/2011 12:17  

just slap XK instead Jackie,,,,he's used to it by now,,,and probably enjoys it

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/09/2011 12:23  

... okay I won't forget xtra ear plugs ... oh & i'll take me own bucket guys ...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/09/2011 12:28  

Up for it count me in

Update Reply
sumodwarf @ 21/09/2011 18:42  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email