MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Bone Marrow Register - You could help save a life

Bone Marrow Register - You could help save a life (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Bone Marrow Register - You could help save a life (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Bone Marrow Register - You could help save a life

i have had a look at the site, never knew i could join!! i have given blood for years and im still in the age range!!! i will be giving again on 30th sept so will register with them then fingers crossed he gets a match soon

Update Reply
46kittykatt46 @ 16/09/2011 10:21  

Just re-shared the Facebook post, and Bone Marrow register link onto my profile on FB. xx

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/09/2011 12:52  

giving blood again on the 7th Oct so will register to donate bone marrow whilst I am there. sending Ben lots of positive healing engery and hugs Mandi x

Update Reply
hilda123 @ 16/09/2011 13:29  

Thanks everyone for your replies fingers crossed we find a match soon.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/09/2011 13:40  

Been giving blood for some years now & they can have my bits when I'm gone, unfortunately too old for the Bone marrow register...Best wishes and a prayer for you Ben & the family Spider...

Update Reply
old red @ 16/09/2011 13:55  

they can have my bits when I'm gone As if they would want that pile of old junk!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/09/2011 15:04  

Too old to register too. Used to give blood years ago, will look into doing that again for sure. Heres hoping you find a match, Ben. My best wishes to you, your dad and sister.

Update Reply
clarkee @ 16/09/2011 15:21  

Afraid i'm also too old ( only just !) but my good wishes go to you and your family I shall however continue to give blood though with neg a2 that's not always the most needed .........HB x

Update Reply
honda baby @ 16/09/2011 19:18  

hi, i have registered with the blood doner service and will wait for them to contact me now as i have to be registered with them first before i can go on the bone marrow doner list... sending a hug : )

Update Reply
lilley @ 16/09/2011 19:28  

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts actions and Prayers :)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/09/2011 20:08  

Just bringing this back to everybodies attention :)

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 19/09/2011 10:00  

Why is there an age limit on the bone marrow

Update Reply
UKHarleyRider @ 19/09/2011 15:22  

is the best answer i can find My Liege ...........

The age limit is not meant to discriminate. The NMDP requires volunteer bone marrow donors to be between the ages of 18 and 60, which is standard medical practice. An individual must be 18 to donate because marrow donation is a surgical procedure and the person undergoing the procedure must legally be able to give informed consent. A guardian or parent cannot sign a release or give consent because unrelated bone marrow donation is a voluntary procedure and is not beneficial or life-saving to the donor. The NMDP must use chronological age to determine eligibility to protest the safety of the donor and provide the best possible treatment for the patient. With age comes a small increase in the risk of side effects from anesthesia.

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 19/09/2011 16:36  

Dont forget to register folks , all for a good cause :)

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 20/09/2011 16:49  

Thanks Jackie, i just had a letter from the bone marrow register saying thanks for registering now i registered before my 50th birthday i can stay on the bone marrow register untill im 60 :) they also say only 1 in 12 blood donors are on the bone marrow register so there is a great deal of scope for improvement :(

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/09/2011 15:24  

I put BM donor notice on my works electronic noticeboard for all employees of our local authority, and its partners ... thousands of workers. I was contacted by an employee saying they're looking at organising a recruitment day in which people can come and put their names forward to be donors

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/09/2011 21:54  

I have sent a mass email to all admin workers at Birmingham University regarding registering, with my Boss's ok of course lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 22/09/2011 09:28  

Thank you Sherry that sounds like a fab idea :)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 23/09/2011 15:36  

Thanks Jackie, good job well done :)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 23/09/2011 15:37  

Just to keep you all updated, Ben has been in Hospital since Monday, after going in for Routine Blood top ups his temperature spiked and he's caught an infection, they are going to pump him with intravienous Anti-Biotics tonight in the hope of fighting the infection :(

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/09/2011 15:24  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email