MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Ferry travel with motorbike

Ferry travel with motorbike - Forums [Biker Match] Ferry travel with motorbike - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Ferry travel with motorbike

Can someone give me advice for traveling on the ferry with a bike? Do i need to take anything special? Any best-practice advice? Sailing at lunch tomorrow

Update Reply
Matt @ 07/09/2011 14:21  

Hey Matt, me & Spesh have just got back from Spain (via ferry). The ferry ops take care of your bike - strap it down etc. All you have to do is ride it on. Although I do believe it's best practice to leave it in gear whilst on the ferry & if you have an alarm DON'T arm it. Hope that helps

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 07/09/2011 14:25  

thanks, good advice.

Update Reply
Matt @ 07/09/2011 14:29  

They usually strap the bike down just with the side stand down. Use a strap or similar to 'tie' the bottom of the sidestand to the front wheel so the bike cannot fall forward and off the side stand.

Update Reply
Rattay @ 07/09/2011 14:40  

oooh another good idea. I'll get some string or something then

Update Reply
Matt @ 07/09/2011 14:50  

Increase air pressure in tyres to 125 psi
just in case the boat sinks at least your bike may float lol

Update Reply
JP @ 07/09/2011 16:02  

actually the pressure wont affect boyancy lol But I'll try exploding my tyres to 125 when they're ready to be changed, that'll be fun.

Update Reply
Matt @ 07/09/2011 16:09  

Even though they strap it down for you, stay and watch to make sure the strap padding IS actually under the strap. Also take the strap off yourself when arriving, otherwise you could still be stood there like a lemon waiting to have your bike 'released' while all the cars get off and form a horrible queue in front of you to leave the terminal!! and if that sounds like the voice of experience . . . . . . I had plenty of time on my hands!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/09/2011 16:23  

Alarm off, in gear, strap round front brake lever, strap on stand and strap it down yourself if you can with ratchet straps. On North sea Ferries you have to strap it youself

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 07/09/2011 16:29  

ok all sounds good. I've got string and duct tape with me now

Update Reply
Matt @ 07/09/2011 17:14  

If you strap it yourself you may not be covered by carriers insurance policy should anything happen. I stay and watch tying down till I"m satisfied, I usually carry a large oil filter "O" ring to put on front brake if its going on sidestand.

Update Reply
harry worth @ 07/09/2011 18:33  

Don't assume that they are going to strap your bike down. The last time I went from Hull to Rotterdam, I left my bike for them to strap down. When I came back to it, it was just as I had left it. Fortunately it was a calm crossing.

Update Reply
timhall @ 07/09/2011 23:15  

Thats right Tim on Northsea they supply ropes for you to tie them down yourself but if you have ratchet straps you can use them otherwise learn how to tie knots

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 07/09/2011 23:26  

double post, dont forget in gear brake on stand locked

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 07/09/2011 23:26  

Putting an old towel between the strap and the seat will save your seat a bit of grief, those straps get pulled pretty tight.

Update Reply
Amor @ 08/09/2011 00:30  

As Bill says - North Sea don't strap it down. You have to do it yourself. Ropes are ok, but cam buckle straps don't take up a lot of room in your luggage and are easier to use. Ratchet straps are better but take up a lot of room.

If you don't have time or room to sort some cam buckle straps then google the Trucker's Hitch knot and get practising. The issue with using rope is getting the tension when you tie off. Invariably as you tie a knot the tension in the rope is lost. However, the Trucker's Hitch is designed to avoid this.

As others have said, use something to hold the front brake on. I use a 1 inch length of old mountain bike inner tube. This sits quite unobtrusively on the bar end weight and is just tight enough to stay put. Then when I need to, move it up onto the throttle twistgrip and hook over the brake lever.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 08/09/2011 13:01  

http://www.animatedknots.com/truckers/index.php

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 08/09/2011 13:05  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email