MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Suzuki TL 1000 R Brakes

Suzuki TL 1000 R Brakes - Forums [Biker Match] Suzuki TL 1000 R Brakes - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Suzuki TL 1000 R Brakes

Hey all just a question to all those who have or have had a TL 1000 R, is it just mine or are the brakes crap?? there totally standard 6 pot just had new seals in them and pads checked, they only have a single line down from the lever to the calipers, will it help if i fit twin braided lines or someone sugested putting 4 pot bandit 1200 brakes on according to him this is what most people do? but i have 6 pot on my vfr 800 and that has amazing stopping power, any advice would be appriciated as i dont want to go throwing money at the wrong thing, cheers guys hope you can help. Regards Pete

Update Reply
Pete_GSX-R @ 03/09/2011 07:39  

Hi Pete, even though you have changed the seals, check that all the pistons are moving freely, after that the problem is nearly always in the bleeding, try bleeding from the banjo bolt at the master cylinder, if that fail go for pushing the brake fluid in from the bottom end with a big syringe.
It's a known problem with the 6 pots, some people change to the nissin 4 pots off other bikes so long as they have the 90 mm mounting holes all is good.
Hope it helps :-)

Update Reply
wheelbarrow @ 03/09/2011 10:29  

yeah thats a great help thanks im going to bleed them this week and if that fails i have a set of bandit 1200 4 pot calipers lined up for me so that should do the trick just wanted to keep the 6 pot as id payed the guy 90 quid to fit new seals but maybe he hasnt done it right. cheers

Update Reply
Pete_GSX-R @ 05/09/2011 07:37  

How much, you could have bought a complete set of refurbed ones for that price on eBay. Think I'll get into the caliper refurb business. It's not a difficult job. :-)

Update Reply
wheelbarrow @ 05/09/2011 21:51  

A set of SBS street compound pads will also help, Banditmania sell them.

Update Reply
marsey @ 06/09/2011 14:18  

the 6 pots are crap a la zx7r and zx9r had problems with mine from day 1. changed them on both bikes to 4 pots - miles better and if i remember rightly the gsxr k1 and k2 fit straight in - they are the same spacing as the zx7r zx9r and TL's - check the mount spacings before buy just to be sure. pair of calipers was 65 quid from ebay. i run sintered HH rated pads (cheap ones) in them - get them changed once a year! 13 quid a pair.

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 12/09/2011 17:25  

Out of curiosity what year was the TL registered as it seems the earlier 6 pots 1999< seem to be more affected by this problem, my own on the 9 get a good clean every year and always been good, an MOT guy commented on them that they were the best feel on 6 pots he had ever seen, oh mines a 2000 zx9.

Update Reply
wheelbarrow @ 13/09/2011 09:46  

my ྞ 9r was better than the 7r (which is 2003) - i could never get a decent brake on it with 6 pots. But you will notice the difference WB if you switched them and tried it!

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 13/09/2011 10:14  

If it ain't broke, I don't think I'll try, but if they started messing about then worth a shot. :-)

Update Reply
wheelbarrow @ 13/09/2011 12:32  

Hey Pete, I would start by bleeding the front brakes right through, and using some Dot 5.1 fluid (halfords sell it) it has a higher boiling point than standard Dot4, and it could just be that the fluid has leached water over time, as brake fluid is hydroscopic. If that doesn't help, the next cheapest solution is chaning the pads for some EBC HH sintered, these did more for my old 97 Blade than anything else i tried at the time. Also the lines could be getting past it, by now, might be worth putting race setup on (one line per caliper) cheap enough on fleebay. If all else fails to stop the bike, look at the master cylinder seals, if they are ok, then the only fix is replacing the stock master cylinder with a (19x20 bore) Brembo master cylinder, but we're talking £200 a pop + fitting, but that will stop you on a sixpence. Hope this was helpfull

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/09/2011 19:42  

tried a brembo master cylinder 19:20 (also an accossato) on the 7r with the 6 pots - didnt make a blind bit of difference. Its the 6 pot calipers that are shite nothing to do with seals, master cyclinders or brake lines (got hel braided) all of which i replaced before the caliper. Save your money just replace the caliper with a 4 pot!

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 21/09/2011 08:15  

Not that it's much help to you now but I've just sold a set of Nissin 4 pots. (90mm spacing which I think that's what the TL is?)

Bought them for my ZXR but was misinformed about bolt spacing. Apartently the ZXR spacing is one of a kind. (63mm I think)

Someone had not so kindly replaced the standard 4 pots with a set of Tokico 6's like yours and yes, I agree with everyone, utter shite. Can't get any feeling in the lever no matter how much you bleed. The seal kits cost a fortune (£65 a side I paid) they have to be stripped every year and cleaned and there just no stopping power.

The Nissin 4 pots are great. 1 finger stoppie's great. I sold them for £110 but they were mint.

Update Reply
S24_SDJ @ 25/09/2011 10:39  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email