MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

TomTom battery connection

TomTom battery connection (2) - Forums [Biker Match] TomTom battery connection (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

TomTom battery connection

I've got a ciggi socket in my "dash" for the iPhone which doubles as a satnav
- this is on a relay that is switched by an ignition live so that I can leave things plugged in without running the battery down.

For connecting the optimate I have another ciggi socket under the seat that goes (through an inline fuse) straight to the battery.

The newer tom tom's (and nearly all portable gadgets with a USB port these days) charge over at 5volts because that's the standard USB voltage.

while it would be a neat solution to wire the tom tom straight to the battery, you'd have to make a voltage regulator that could reduce the 12-14 volts of a fully charged bike battery down to a steady 5.

Much easier to wire a ciggi socket in! just remember to use an inline fuse.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/09/2011 22:23  

Did you hard wire it , or fit a lighter socket ? ... this wouldn't be the cause of the electrical issue on your Bird, would it ..?

Update Reply
chris.sheridan @ 03/11/2011 22:46  

good point that.....perhaps the length of smelly burnt looking wiring loom is the issue!!

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 04/11/2011 17:40  

No Chris, I just hard wired a ciggy lighter and that worked, can't see that being the problem really but it's in expert hands anyway, trouble is the experts are baffled too! I don't think so Andy as that may be easily identifiable, we'll see eh.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/11/2011 15:23  

U got it sorted mate??

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 09/11/2011 13:39  

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterproof-Cigarette-Lighter-So...mp;sr=8-12 this is what I used on for my satnav on the bike

Update Reply
321johno @ 09/11/2011 20:47  

H.
I Just read your post have a look on ebay can't remember who but they make a wiring kit for the tom tom for bikes with a built in reducer and its a hard wired to the head stock then the tom tom plugs in from there, got one on my Harley its ace. as it plug in at head stock it can be removed from there to stop you having it nicked. Have a look and if you cant find it I'll check my ebay account and try and find it that way. try Tom Tom hard wire kit? Regards. Gary.

Update Reply
bontonroulea @ 23/11/2011 19:18  

Just checked Ebay type in Hardwire kits for Tom Tom, there is a English company doing it for about £12 but the yank sites about twenty pounds. Gary

Update Reply
bontonroulea @ 23/11/2011 19:26  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email