MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Supermarket claims 'Helmets trap petrol fumes'

Supermarket claims 'Helmets trap petrol fumes' (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Supermarket claims 'Helmets trap petrol fumes' (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Supermarket claims 'Helmets trap petrol fumes'

Karey You are a genius !!!! A big rubber plunger that comes down and lifts your lid for you .. Dragons den .. Millionairs by xmas ))

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/09/2011 21:52  

tcat - I know some of us my neck of the woods put down our religion as 'biker' in the last census....

Update Reply
gixergal @ 02/09/2011 21:58  

Kat.. I'm emailing the Dragons as we type YID...I think you're mate's got the right idea.. it would be funny if we all did that on the next BM ride out. That would be funny.. 10-20 bikers all taking their time.. at a busy Morrisons at rush hour..

Update Reply
Karey @ 02/09/2011 21:59  

Airport x ray scanners is what they need . Safe than sorry .. Someone might steal a bundle of kindling .

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/09/2011 22:03  

Maybe we should rename our lids biker burkas...they might back off from that one!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/09/2011 22:50  

Nice one PB

Update Reply
gixergal @ 02/09/2011 22:51  

you're welcome GGal!

Whilst wee're on the subject - what about those chaps who turn up in an armour plated van, leap out with helmets on, walk in the store like they own the place - and back out again 5 minutes later with the days takings????

Noooooobody says anything to them, dooooo theyyyyyy!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/09/2011 22:56  

pmsl..yeh nice one PB

Update Reply
Karey @ 02/09/2011 22:57  

Finding Mark Todds email is easier said than done .... HELP

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/09/2011 23:00  

I also had trouble with morrisons back last year, i had started filling up the bike and the pump stopped working, i didnt know why and was just about to go into the shop to have a word with them, wen some1 came out and said that they had asked me over the loud speaker to take off me helmet, then carry on refilling. I couldnt hear them say this as i had me helmet on. I took it off, carried on filling up, but i wasnt happy. i asked to speak to the manager, saying that i often filled up there b4 this and had never been asked to take me helmet off. i also said there were no signs stating that i needed to do this and i also mentioned about people wearing the burkas with their face fully covered and were they asked to uncover their faces!! all they said was, its policy now......i said their policy stinks and i wouldnt be using them again!!

Update Reply
drobess @ 02/09/2011 23:57  

Ladies and Gents the Burkha is not a religous garment it is a garment of choice . I would advocate that we all wear a burka as opposed to a balaclava type garment under our helmet, then when asked to remove our helmet we stand there with our burkha's on, would this confuse them? what could they say? would they have the balls to say anything? mental overload and total confusion lol (think i will give it a go and see what happens)......

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/09/2011 02:39  

How about if we pasted a pic of ourselves on the back of our lids thus avoiding removal of the said object? ................Ooohh no sorry, maybe not - that would make us as two-faced as they are!!!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/09/2011 08:11  

Well all I know is petrol fumes are heaver than air so by removing your helmet and placing it on the ground thay are correct it will fill with petrol fumes thus making you ill then you can sue them under Heath and safety

Update Reply
JP @ 03/09/2011 08:34  

Best bet is to write and tell them that you're not going to use them while they have this policy, it doesn't matter if you do or don't use them, but bits of paper are all these deskbound pricks understand and if these bits of paper say they're losing customers and therefore profit, something will be done!

Update Reply
YID @ 03/09/2011 16:11  

Never been asked to remove lid in a petrol station, but then don't use morrisons, But if i was asked too i would take my hard earned elsewhere. But when i fill up i always remove my gloves and get off the bike, that way hopefully they realise i'm not going to fill and run...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/09/2011 20:25  

tesco express in Halifax , you have to remove your lid b4 they will switch the pump on , found that out out when they got my attention over the tannoy . now i always remove my lid b4 fueling up , saves the red face in a full forecourt , attendants always thank me for removing my lid too

Update Reply
fastjock @ 03/09/2011 22:02  

I dunno what the problem is with removing *full face helmets when filling bike up with fuel, I know it's a pain to have to get undressed/dressed again but just think how the staff feel. Especially if they've already had someone steal petrol, or raid the shop while they were on duty. * I see no need for folk to remove an open face helmet. Would you open your front door to someone that you don't know, if they were still wearing their helmet? I even take my helmet off if I'm only going to use their loo. If we get too awkward with petrol station staff they will soon get awkward with us, like making us pay to use their facilities, or not allowing bikers to use them at all, it will be a return to the 1970's where the 'NO BIKERS' sign was common place and we weren't welcome anywhere. Link to Karey's original post http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/Gene...rol-fumes/

Update Reply
Sandi @ 04/09/2011 01:01  

Petrol fumes in helmets could explain why I ride faster with a full talk than I do when on reserve. I'd convinced myself it was due to fuel consumption and wanting to make sure I didn't run out, but now I know, it's the fumes getting to my brain that make me go faster and nothing to do with economy.

Update Reply
Simon66 @ 04/09/2011 01:17  

The problem is
1. Practical, apart from messing about getting undressed, where are you going to put an easily damaged and expensive helmet on a garage fourcourt and who is responsible if it gets damaged or stolen
2. Freedom of choice, in the 20th century there were 2 global conflicts to protect freedom of choice.
3. Descrimination. Why just us and not others who can be easily recognised?

Basically the theft argument does not hold water, that is a matter for law enforcement, if there was a proper deterrent and meaningful detection there wouldn't be a problem, remember the older generations telling of the days when you could go out and leave your house unlocked?
If you do that today and get burgled the police will imply It's your fault, not theirs! WTF?

Update Reply
YID @ 04/09/2011 01:19  

where are you going to put an easily damaged and expensive helmet? I used to use the same petrol station, as much as I could, then they got used to me so I could fill up first then take my helmet off inside the shop door before I approached the staff, no need to put helmet on dirty forecourt. I wouldn't leave the helmet unattended. As a pillion if I stay by the bike I leave my lid on, only if I go inside the shop do I take it off. Your number 3, I agree, one rule should apply to ALL customers.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 04/09/2011 01:30  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email