MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Supermarket claims 'Helmets trap petrol fumes'

Supermarket claims 'Helmets trap petrol fumes' - Forums [Biker Match] Supermarket claims 'Helmets trap petrol fumes' - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Supermarket claims 'Helmets trap petrol fumes'

Morrisons............. Get Real!!! http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/General-news/2011/September/sep0211-morrisons-helmets-trap-petrol-fumes/

Update Reply
Karey @ 02/09/2011 17:54  

Ha!
Tesco's have a sign at the door of my local store asking motorbikers to remove helmets before they enter the store so that 'they can serve us better'!!!!
Rubbish - it's just so's they can get your face on camera in case you commit a dastardly deed!!!
Pity they never catch all those without helmets who DO steal in store - as I saw some doing only last week.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/09/2011 18:08  

Totally agree, purplebetty
I was challenged at a Tescos and when I complained, they said they had to make sure I was over 16!! I have a flip helmet and anyone that knows me will tell you I certainly don't look like no 16 year old.. nor would I want to ! lol I also asked them how they would deal with a muslim in full jeehad ( where only the eyes can be seen through a slit in the material ) and they didn't answer me........ wonder why??

Update Reply
Karey @ 02/09/2011 18:17  

Jobsworthys - Don't ya just loathe 'em!!!

Give 'em an 'I'm in charge badge' and they're power crazed, but challenge 'em like you did Karey and they haven't a leg to stand on!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/09/2011 18:26  

So if Morrisons think that fumes from petrol will make you sick and potentially lose conciousness by wearing a helmet, ..... does that mean I have to have all the car windows open when I fill up as lingering vapours could cause me to pass out after refuelling.

Morrisons try to justify the removal of helmets by stating:

"We are required by law to validate the minimum age for dispensing fuel and that can be done adequately if riders keep their helmets on"

Well we all know that to have a driving licence in the first place, we will be of the age to legally purchase fuel.....muppets.

Update Reply
gixergal @ 02/09/2011 18:34  

i never take my helmet off when getting petrol unless i am asked to

Update Reply
UKHarleyRider @ 02/09/2011 18:37  

One of the comments under the original article-:
"it takes 10 seconds to take your helmet off and makes the whole process a lot easier - just suck it up and chill out a bit"

Yep, in summer it does (though your earplugs will probably pop out onto the diesel soaked forecourt), but in winter with a balaclava tucked deep into my jacket (all of which would need removing to ascertain my age) it would be a major PITA & has made me boycott Morrisons who are bizarrely the only company to announce a blanket rule like this... full credit to Tesco, ASDA, Sainsbury's, ESSO, Shell & many others for not following suit... an ill thought out rule probably decided in a meeting where no-one present rode a motorcycle... & why should they care about our custom?

Interestingly I had an email conversation with the person who implemented this rule last year... I asked if he'd pay for my £500 helmet if it was damaged (considering they don't give you anywhere to put it) or stolen... he declined to answer this & many of my other concerns.

Email Petrol Director Mark Todd if you wish to voice your opinion.
Well said!

Update Reply
Karey @ 02/09/2011 18:48  

Some petrol stations even insist that you get off your bike whilst refuelling. Their reasons for this is just incase the fuel ignites.... Now I sit on my bike as that way I ensure the tank is full. Good job I keep my helmet on as it could stop my eyebrows getting singed

Update Reply
gixergal @ 02/09/2011 19:05  

surley if you dont drink petrol then it wont get trapted in your crash helmet wouldnt they be better off saying dont drink the fuel ?

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 02/09/2011 20:43  

I think the best comment was from someone that mentioned about Muslims wearing the burkha and did they have to unveil themselves first, i trow not!! My local garage has just erected a sign demanding the removal of baseball hat's hoodies and crash helmet's before turning the pump's on . I disagree with this discrimination against motorcycles and told the owner so I asked him why he has introduced this new ruling and was told it was for his staff to feel safer and it gives a clearer image for the cctv cameras. I asked him why he has not included anyone who was wearing a veil or burkha or even a flat cap as worn by many pensioners , to which he had no explanation. ...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/09/2011 20:48  

I shall be emailing Mr Mark Todd voicing my concerns . perhaps more than once ..perhaps I will get marked as SPAM the badge of office for annoying emailers .

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/09/2011 20:52  

Yea i think you would be BM's best Rep for that kind of thing Katty, cheers mate, you have found your niche!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/09/2011 20:55  

I use flip-front lids,. but often wear a neck/tube thing, safety shades thick armoured gloves and a flouro jacket with armour in. Now to get my lid off, first the jacket has to come off, and if a flouro jacket gets dropped onto the grimey forecourt I'm never gonna get it clean again!! Next my velcro/multiple zip gloves, and then (I'm by now probably roasting) I can finally get the buckle undone on my lid. Hmm,... well *&#% that for a game of soldiers!!! I put the bike on the main, lift my chin piece up, put the juice in, then march to the mini-Hitlers kiosk scowling slightly, but, and I think this helps, carry the payment in me hand, in sight to them but not some little get in a hoodie nearby. If they still want the lid to come off I explain that I'll have to undress at the front of the queue upsetting everyone else waiting to pay for their stuff,.. ohh, and with a slightly raised voice too. If they are ok, I sometimes ask where the camera is and smile at it, just to shut em up a bit,... but after been rodgered for the price of the fuel in the first place, smiling isn't something that I often do in a petrol shop,.... and I bet I'm not alone on that!

Update Reply
Paj1369 @ 02/09/2011 21:04  

Your right On with that quote Markie .. Flat cap pensioners being forced to removed them angrys up my blood . And what about wigs ??

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/09/2011 21:11  

Lol you are funny Kat, but i didn't write the comment posted, nor was i advocating anything to do with flat caps, pensioners or wigs, it just so happened to be in the article.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/09/2011 21:17  

hahah well said @ Paj

Update Reply
Karey @ 02/09/2011 21:26  

I prefer the pay at the pump system . Its seem non discrimatory so far ..But What happens when the machine also becomes bigoted and obnoxious ?? This is madness that we are spiraling into .

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/09/2011 21:41  

A mate of mine has had a few run ins with Morrison's over this, as well as many mailings to the upper echelons he now had a well practiced routine that lasts around 10-15 mins of removing and checking his gear then readjusting it all again, best used at busy times, reckons we all should do it, that'll pies em off!

Only been asked once myself, don't go to that garage anymore, not even in the car!

Update Reply
YID @ 02/09/2011 21:46  

you know - we missed this oppurtunity to put our religion down at the last census as "Zen Motorcyclist" or something like that - then we could have made the "wearing of crash helemts when partaking in the fueling of our machines - in octane we rust etc" Strange though that MAG fought for years against compulsopm so we didn't have to wear a helmet, but then when we do - people don't like taking them off lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/09/2011 21:47  

Yeh.. you've got a point there Kat I bet it's not long before they have an automatic helmet remover !

Update Reply
Karey @ 02/09/2011 21:48  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email