MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

'Pay it Forward'

'Pay it Forward' - Forums [Biker Match] 'Pay it Forward' - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

'Pay it Forward'

"Pay It Forward" How to Pay It Forward The world can seem like an unfriendly, threatening place, yet we all want safety, health, and happiness for ourselves and our loved ones. How can one ordinary person -- you or me -- make a positive difference in this world? One way is the practice "paying it forward." While the steps might be simple, the outcome could change the world. Steps Be attentive wherever you are for opportunities to help someone. You can change people's attitudes about the world through your unobtrusive acts of kindness. Do something nice for someone you don't know (or don't know very well). It should be something significant, and not for a person from whom you expect a good deed -- or anything at all, for that matter -- in return. Spread the word. If the person thanks you and wants to "repay" you (that is, pay it "back"), let them know that what you'd really like is for them to pay it "forward" -- you'd like them to do something nice for three people they don't know, and ask those three people to do something nice for three more people. The idea is to consciously increase the goodness of the world. Pay it forward. When you notice that somebody has done something nice for you, make a note in your mind to practice three acts of kindness towards other people. Even small acts count. If it makes the world a friendlier place, you succeeded! Practicing the "pay it forward" principle will make you alert to unexpected kindness from strangers toward you, and you may find yourself becoming more grateful for everyday kindness and consideration from people you don't even know. Warnings Most nice things done for strangers will be one-time efforts, so use your head and don't give out your name or phone number; if someone seems to expect you to provide ongoing help but you don't want to go that far, smile and tell the person that you prefer to remain anonymous. It can feel risky to help strangers, but don't be afraid to go out on a limb if you believe your actions can help the person. Some people will not act grateful, but the benefits may still come around when you are not there to see it. Let your beneficial action be enough in itself and don't expect profuse thanks, or even any thanks at all. Do take care of yourself. If you have excess then share with those in need, but don't give away your last pound. The stronger you are the more good you can do for others. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p> <o:p></o:p> <o:p></o:p> <o:p></o:p> <o:p></o:p> <o:p></o:p> <o:p></o:p> <o:p></o:p> <o:p></o:p> <o:p></o:p> <o:p></o:p> <o:p></o:p> <o:p></o:p> <o:p></o:p>

Update Reply
Sandi @ 14/06/2007 11:32  

How to Practice Random Acts of Kindness People with the best intentions sometimes get overwhelmed by the idea of charity. They think they need a great deal of time or money or courage to make a real difference in the world. But you don't have to be a philanthropist to help. Anne Herbert said, "Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty;” by doing this, you can help every day with small but important acts of encouragement and generosity. 1. Write a letter to a stranger. It only takes a few minutes to write, but a letter can make someone else's day, or even their week. Think of all the people who are lonely, isolated or just in need of cheering up: soldiers fighting overseas, kids in juvenile detention centers or elderly people in nursing homes. Do a simple search online and you'll find services that will provide you with list of people who'd love to hear from you. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> 2. Put someone else first. If you get to the check-out line at the same time as someone else, you can decide to smile and wave them through first. Or, when you're stuck in traffic and the last thing you want to do is let a car get in front of you, just remember that somebody else had to let you in, and repay the favour to the next person! 3. Say thank you. Think of all the people in your life whose faces and names you'll never know but who serve and protect you day after day. Send some treats to your local police or fire department with a card letting them know how much you appreciate their service to the community. 4. Compliment someone. There's usually an awkward silence when you're stuck in an elevator with a stranger. Instead of staring at the floor, find something you like about the other person and compliment her on it. Not only will it make her feel good, it just might kick off a conversation with a new friend. <o:p></o:p> </o:p>

Update Reply
Sandi @ 14/06/2007 11:36  

HERE HERE Kwak ! What a nice way to be.

Update Reply
Kate5930 @ 14/06/2007 11:39  

That was my random act of kindness kwak! Changed the white writing to black to stop everyone squinting to read the above post

Update Reply
Di @ 14/06/2007 11:40  

Thanks Di, its doin me head in, I keep pasting the rest of the text in and it keeps coming up website not available. I aint finsihed it yet!! I posted some of it just in case it wasn't accepting it cos it was too long. Grrr lol

Update Reply
Sandi @ 14/06/2007 11:42  

Grrr I've just tried to PM Di to post the rest of it for me and I keep getting a page unavailable error there too. This 'play it forward' is proving too fuggin hard to achieve lol

Update Reply
Sandi @ 14/06/2007 11:48  

Give it up Kwak!

Update Reply
Di @ 14/06/2007 11:50  

No Way Jose!! I aint beaten yet lol Alley-peepin-loo-ya!! Finally my message to Di got sent. I'm kn...tired now after all that

Update Reply
Sandi @ 14/06/2007 12:39  

awwww kwak well ya tried ya best an it was good reading on the bits ya cud post

Update Reply
storm @ 14/06/2007 12:40  

5 offer helping hands. Do you ever see homeless people and feel overwhelmed by your inabillity to make a difference?Even if you can't save them all you can do a lot with one small act. 6 leave a smile From refuse collectors to your postal workers, there are people who come to your home every day who could use a smile. If you want to make their daya little brighter leave a friendly message. 7. Clean Up The next time you see someone littering, don't just shake your head, pick up the litter and throw it away. 8.Send a message. Write down your favourite poem or jot down something nice, then leave it somewhere for a stranger to find.If you do pay it forward, or receive an act of kindness, let us know about it here.

Update Reply
Di @ 14/06/2007 12:42  

Oh dear oops lol I meant add it within the other post..1 to 4 Thanks Di, your random act of kindness is appreciated. Will you require a lie down now too?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 14/06/2007 12:44  

Tried that, BT t**ting around down the road so was easiest to do it this way cos the line is like a piggin yo yo

Update Reply
Di @ 14/06/2007 12:48  

I dunno about 'pay it forward' can I 'pLay it back'? Ya ever had ONE of THOSE days? This one is mine, it's lasted a week now lol typical isn't it, the only things to linger are the ones I could do without

Update Reply
Sandi @ 14/06/2007 12:48  

Di, RE: BT, Any bets the weather gets the blame, rain on the line

Update Reply
Sandi @ 14/06/2007 12:50  

Thanks storm, I think I'll try and resist the urge to post long uns again tho

Update Reply
Sandi @ 14/06/2007 12:55  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email