MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

What s a biker?

What s a biker? (5) - Forums [Biker Match] What s a biker? (5) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

What s a biker?

So, what makes a 'gentleman' biker? I've been referred to one as a light-hearted dig and last weekend during a conversation about riding in filthy weather, as in 'we don't do freezing fog, we're gentleman bikers'. What? I just don't get it!?

Update Reply
pistonbroke72 @ 07/09/2011 19:30  

If you ride a bike and motorcycling was banned tomorrow and it didn't feel like you've had your heart ripped out and you just went on to do something else to occupy your mind you ain't no biker.

Update Reply
harry worth @ 07/09/2011 21:28  

surely a true biker is a greasy unshaven long haired yob with dirty fingernails and very big feet who goes round on his scruffy big bike always wearing his oily originals, taking the piss out of the speed limits and rules of the road. if you upset him he'll stick one on you without thinking.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/09/2011 02:03  

how do you stop this bludee thing repeating itself

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/09/2011 02:03  

maybe individuality epitomised the original meaning of "biker", but appreciation of that doesnt appear to exist any more - who would have thought a "biker" site could remove members for light hearted quips and freedom of expression????

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/09/2011 07:43  

Whether its a biker site or not surely has nothing to do with it? Unless you are saying that 'bikers' tolerance of profanity and sexually explicit terms on public forums ought to be higher than anyone elses in civilisation?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/09/2011 07:59  

If thy eyes offend ye pluck them out, seems a bit over the top to me like,bikers are very articulate, not mindless thugs,very able to argue the point and put their views forward.Ive always found that, whether arguing about a motorcycle marque or why a certain tyre is their choice.Intelligent articulate resiliant people that choose to follow...to their own limits.. a particular lifestyle or pastime.Although over the years the 'biker' thing has diminished,bros on the road etc. which to me means tolerance of other people has diminished,what they ride what colour leathers they wear etc. So what is a biker?I consider myself a biker,long time standing and not someone who for whatever reason has a sunday run everynow and then, but then thats their choice or circumstance and I respect their choice and still wave/nod/salute them on the road and...... am ignored

Update Reply
fxr swas @ 08/09/2011 10:09  

Then surely that is the answer to the question, if they don't nod at others they aren't bikers, they are either Sundy pleasure seekers or commuters that choose to use Motorcycles as their method of transport. But then that definiton might eliminate some Harley riders and others that do consider themselves as bikers in the truest sense of the word from being so

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/09/2011 11:18  

As a long time Harley owner I saw the change in attitudes amongst Harley riders who,if you do not own a 'new' Harley'which was only a couple years after I bought mine with the 'new' style dyna/twin cam came out and aint in HOG cant possibly be worthy,which is why I stopped going to Harley 'festivals'.That attitude crept into dare I say' mainstream' biking now it seems derision and snobbery rule.Its bullshit but everything changes sometimes not for the better,its all my humble opinion of course,if thats what it is-thats what it is then.I will ride my bike and respect others for doing the same and celebrate the fact new riders are still emerging however difficult they make it for them.Perhaps they are the real bikers who have the determination to carry on to fulfill their dream before others more experienced or even the marketing people wade in to persuade them the nicest people have a honda or whatever and you should have this or need that.

Update Reply
fxr swas @ 08/09/2011 11:38  

Oi i have a Honda... The nicest people DO have Honda's.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/09/2011 11:48  

And i'm sure you made your own informed choice,so should be respected for that choice,not be ignored/ derided for your choice of marque or point of view. Enjoy the Honda.

Update Reply
fxr swas @ 08/09/2011 11:56  

am I a biker because I drive a Van ? der nope ! what a stupid thread as for the possers who ride bikes just to look good aint nothing new about that its just become more obviouse due to bikes becoming more of a lesure persuit as appossed to a form of transport but theres allways been the people who have the money to buy bigger flasher faster than" you sonny Jim " who gives a st

a bike rider is a biker doesnt matter what size engine it has coz thats just snobbery !

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 08/09/2011 13:26  

I have been a "biker" 37 yrs to me its not about what you ride or standing there in the latest " label" clothing once a week at local bike meets with bikes that never see rain or winter
its about getting out there and just enjoying yourself
maybe its just me but i think there is too much poser in biking these days

Update Reply
redzed11 @ 08/09/2011 15:41  

Yea but wheelynealy if you were to ask most guys that use bikes simply to commute if they were bikers i can absolutely guarantee you they would adamantly say No! So a biker is someone that defines themselves as such and not what we define them as right?I think we all ought to blame pots, he started all this.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/09/2011 16:59  

being a biker is a state of mind, doesn't matter what you ride,

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/09/2011 19:27  

What he said. It's something that's in your system and can't be taken away.

Update Reply
pistonbroke72 @ 08/09/2011 19:32  

to me it's a simple answer: a biker is some one with a love of biking, it doesn't matter what you ride or how you ride it as long as it's your passion.

Update Reply
IanT1966 @ 08/09/2011 22:05  

Personally i'm not to sure you can put it into words

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/09/2011 21:29  

The more and more I’ve got into riding the more just I love it. The lyrics below from the Doobie Brothers “Dangerous” seem to sum it up for me what it is to be a biker.... Come on over baby got nothin’ to loseWell you never get enough o’ thoseHighway bluesJust another road to freedom and you know thatIt ain’t no crimeCan’t you hear it babyLike thunder I knowLike the magic and the passionOf rock and rollIt’s like a harley motorcycle baby raging out of controlDanger up ahead of youComin’ up behind you tooTurn it to the leftTurn it to the rightNow you twist the throttle upWith all your mightDangerous, that’s why you love itWell you like to drive fast babySlide up right beside me watch theBroken lines fly’cause there’s no one who can catch usJust let anybody give it a tryCan’t you hear it baby like thunder I knowLike the magic and the passion of rock ’n’ rollYou’re a rebel and you know itAnd you’re not afraid to throw it away Dangerous, that’s why you love it

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/09/2011 09:24  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email