MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Young Adults cant read maps

Young Adults cant read maps - Forums [Biker Match] Young Adults cant read maps - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Young Adults cant read maps

RESEARCH has revealed that 67% of under 25s don't know how to read a map and are more reliant on satellite navigation.

The survey polled 1,976 motorists under the age of 25 from across the UK, to understand young peoples' attitudes towards driving. Respondents were initially asked if they were able to read a road map, to which the answer from two thirds was 'no'.

The majority of the under 25s, 83%, said that they had a GPS in their car - whilst only 24% revealed that they had a map. When asked whether it was important to be able to read a map, 74% said that it wasn't.

Putting complete trust into the Sat Nav, 49% said they had gotten lost on a journey. To tackle this 51% said they would ring one of their parents and 32% would ask a passerby for directions. However, only 17% admitted that this made them learn how to read a map, just in case it happened again.

Motorcycle trips for some are mainly about forward-planning, directions taped to the tank or a map in the top of a tank bag. However, the silent invasion of GPS units into the two-wheeled world may have the same result. Do you still use a map or have you converted to directions from a small box?

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 20/07/2011 14:37  

I regularly get lost with a trusty paper map (read upside down of course) and i never believe the sat nav! So when someone finds me can you please return me home... Can't afford a bike sat nav so written directions on the tank for me.

Update Reply
feistygirl @ 20/07/2011 15:06  

I use maps or directions in tank bag.... dont own GPs or sat nav.... And I dont get lost, I have wee scenic detours and I enjoy them ..

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/07/2011 15:12  

Ladies just get an Old Un he knows everywhere without a map or GPS lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 20/07/2011 15:13  

Not quite everywhere. I use an upside down map like FG, I try and fit my directions on the back of a business card and stuff it under the edge of the console thingy on my harley tank - simplez

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/07/2011 16:13  

My SatNav lady told me:- "you can't get there from here" Anybody want a SatNav, 1 careful owner, very little used?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/07/2011 17:26  

I use the tape - but I STILL managed to get lost. and thats half the fun of it. Hope I dont ever get to the point of using Cat Nap on the bike (have to use it for work ofc in the car)

Update Reply
potnoodles @ 20/07/2011 17:53  

never had a sat nav work tryed to give us them for work till we told then that when we get stuck down lanes / dead ends / low bridges / weight limits thay will be paying the fines. Thay dont work if you think thay do its cus you dont know better

Update Reply
JP @ 20/07/2011 18:04  

always maps for me,,,then condense directions to piece of paper which is covered both sides in celotape to waterproof then taped to tank with elec/tape,,,,,also do same with return trip before i set off... Still mange to take in a few unscheduled scenic detours,,,,bikers never get lost !!!! and always carry maps.....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/07/2011 18:48  

I was planning the route to the iron ore rally in egremont in Cumbria using google earth directions... the most direct route from my house is straight over the hardknott pass....what a disaster that could be if you didn't know & followed that suggestion

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 20/07/2011 19:51  

Should be a piece of cake for you Min, after Sutton Bank...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/07/2011 20:19  

Maps defo, cant stand that bluumin wench squaking!!!!

Update Reply
wenders @ 20/07/2011 20:21  

Well stop talking then XK said that

Update Reply
JP @ 20/07/2011 20:23  

*slap*

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/07/2011 20:27  

I admit, I can't map read. I once travelled to Haywards Heath and ended up in Putney.....go figure!!!

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 20/07/2011 20:49  

Maps for me... don't own a sat-nav and after the things I've heard about them I doubt I ever will.

I think planning a route using a map is part of the fun in planning a trip. Scenic views are always nice, lol.

My son who's 23 can read maps and says he prefers them to sat-nav.

Update Reply
gixergal @ 20/07/2011 22:14  

Just to be awkward I use both,... I allways used photocopied (b/w) maps to find sites in the forestry, but on the bike I have the (car) Nav permanantly set to 'help', just tellin me where I am. That thing is stuffed into the map case, and I follow my route on the paper map underneath,.. I never program a route into it, cos it only works properly 50% of the time that way!!

Update Reply
Paj1369 @ 20/07/2011 22:30  

I think that's the crucial point. You can't plan a route with a sat nav, you can't choose a bit of road to include or miss( hardnott pass for instance). Can't include the sweeping section you enjoyed last time, or the stop off at the cafe someone told u about.......

Planning is half the fun. And getting a bit lost ain't a problwm

G.

Update Reply
GreyGra @ 20/07/2011 22:32  

Maps for me to get around the country car or bike [yes i do go the wrong way sometimes] but sat-navs are brilliant for finding an address in a town once you get there

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 20/07/2011 22:52  

Agree with Bikeabill, satnav is a good substitute for an A-Z street plan, but not a road atlas.
I've known plenty of adult adults who can't read a road map either, and this even before the age of the satnav My late father in law was one, and shall I say that the habit passed down the family?

Update Reply
Wills @ 20/07/2011 23:00  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email