MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Traffic lights not changing to green for bikes

Traffic lights not changing to green for bikes - Forums [Biker Match] Traffic lights not changing to green for bikes - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Traffic lights not changing to green for bikes

Read an article in MCN about traffic light sensor not picking up motorbikes and leaving the rider standing their on a red light until larger vehicle turns up and is picked up by the sensor. This was on a slip road northbound exit junction one of the M18 and riders could face prosecution if jump the light. Was wondering if anyone knew of any other problems at lights around the country as im sure I've been stuck at lights with no traffic and lights not changing mainly in Manchester area (Won't tell you what I did but you can guess) Would it be legal if you turned bike off and pushed it through ??

Update Reply
Rooster roo @ 13/07/2011 21:01  

you can buy a device which makes bikes visible to traffic lights, will sort it out and post on here

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 13/07/2011 21:06  

Could try flashing your headlight...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 13/07/2011 21:07  

My thoughts are the same dont see how you could be prosicuted for pushing your though the lights with the engine tuned off

Update Reply
JP @ 13/07/2011 21:07  

I've had exactly the same thing where the lights are pressure pad controlled and simply not sensitive enough. If you sit on the pad, even heavier vehicles coming up behind you don't trigger the lights as they can't get close enough to the pad with the bike there. You have no option but the pull out, if only to allow the heavier vehicle to pull forward to the sensor. Madness! Little wonder push-bikes get so hammered for jumping lights. What chance have they?

Update Reply
desres @ 13/07/2011 21:55  

this thing about flashing your lights ? it dont work the lights are on a timer a ground sensitive loop or a movment sensor mounted above the lights. But remember even 44,000 kg trucks dont always trip ground sensors I often have to back up and try again at stupid o,clock

Update Reply
JP @ 13/07/2011 22:08  

I have problems with quite a few lights in Sheffield that are not sensitive enough for me - like the men

Update Reply
6ypsy @ 13/07/2011 23:35  

There's quite a few like that in Liverpool. I got so mad over one particular set that used to delay my journey home by several minutes, in the days when i worked nights and commuted by bike, that i rang the council with steam coming out of my ears.
Felt a bit deflated when i got through to a highways engineer who was also a biker who said 'no problem, mate, it's just a matter of adjusting the sensitivity and we'll get on to it, thanks for telling us'.
I mean, someone on the council who's actually helpful!! Shouldn't be allowed!

Update Reply
Wills @ 13/07/2011 23:48  

IF YOU SEE A LITTLE BOX POINTING TOWARDS YOU ON TOP OF THE LIGHTS FLASH YOUR HEADLIGHT IT STARTS THE CHAINGE OVER TRICK IS TO FIND THE RIGHT PATERN FOR THE FLASHES LIKE MORCE CODE THE ONES IN THE SUTTON COLDFIELD IS WELL 3 3 1

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/07/2011 00:04  

found on ebay, Traffic light sensor, 11.25 including post

item num. 180695266193

just put the number in the search box at the top on ebay

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 14/07/2011 04:55  

We got stuck at a set of lights when we went up to Quat the other day. Was one of those with the pressure sensers. The lights kept changing for the cars turning left, but we were the only ones turning right & they just would not go green for us! ended up turning left then doing a u turn.

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 14/07/2011 07:55  

I have no problem i just wag my fat arse it them lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 14/07/2011 09:50  

There was a set like that in Rawtenstall. The ZZR would trigger them, but the CG wouldn't.

I spoke to the LCC highways department and they said that it was already at the maximum sensitivity, but as I had reported it, as long as I took care, then I could cross the red light as it was an issue they were aware of and I could use it as a defence if I was ever stopped. But then again, when have you ever seen a small town copper at 4.45am

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 14/07/2011 11:25  

the highway code was recently changed to allow for traffic lights not working properly. In the past, technically you had to turn round and find another route, without passing through a red light- " If the traffic lights are not working, treat the situation as you would an unmarked junction and proceed with care "

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/07/2011 16:18  

I have the same problem with traffic bsrriers - have to get off bike and dance around for a bit and then they work - mad eh ??

Update Reply
kazninja @ 14/07/2011 17:53  

Some traffic lights are actually designed specifically not to allow motorcycles through if they are at the front of the queue. It is to try and discourage filtering.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 14/07/2011 18:53  

That dont make sence Geoff how would the lights know if you were filtering ?

Update Reply
JP @ 14/07/2011 18:57  

there is a set on the way home from the piper by me if i gointo the outside of the lane and put me headlight on full they work but sometimes i forget and end up pushing the bike back and forward till i get em to change lol all good fun

Update Reply
earthwind @ 14/07/2011 20:04  

Being late for work triggers them to red, I know that much.

Update Reply
Contradiction @ 14/07/2011 20:17  

lmao sometimes makes u colour blind :)

Update Reply
earthwind @ 14/07/2011 20:21  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email