MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Gel Seat Pads

Gel Seat Pads - Forums [Biker Match] Gel Seat Pads - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Gel Seat Pads

I have just bought one of these to see if I can stop getting a numb bum on long trips.

Take a look and maybe it is what you need..

http://www.danmedicasouth.co.uk/shop/motorcycle-gel-seat-pad/

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/07/2011 00:46  

i find as long as i keep moving about it's not a problem

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 06/07/2011 02:03  

I had one inserted when i had my seat lowered.....wasn't as painfull as it sounds

Seems to do the trick.

Update Reply
loving it @ 06/07/2011 07:56  

do they give you anesthetic when they do that Love

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 06/07/2011 08:45  

Yes......the full dose

Update Reply
loving it @ 06/07/2011 08:53  

lol @ Loving It & Bill

You'll have to let us all know how you get on with it Deb. I'm a bit like Bill and have never really had a problem as long as I keep shifting about a little on those longer rides (started to get a little sore at around the 600 mile mark on my way back from Germany, but that was a long way!).

However, Roachy may be interested.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 07/07/2011 12:08  

I've heard good things about the AirHawk seat
http://www.airhawk.co.uk/

A lot of people swear by just a piece of sheepskin!

The idea is to relieve the pressure points by allowing air to circulate and heat to dissipate. That's why moving about and stopping regulaly helps but it's not a long term solution if you have a seat problem.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/08/2011 23:05  

Just checked out link for the gel seat,,,,its cheaper than the airhawk so might give it a try,,,airhawk has a good write up but i was thinking about getting gel insert in my seat anyway and this option of one with a cover that can be transferred to other bikes sounds good,,,will give it a try when i go to scottish highlands later this month... cheers for info

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/08/2011 23:43  

How did it work Deb on your recent long trip? Just looked at the link, looks good but I'm a little concerned (as with the Airhawk) of increased seat height as I'm already unable to reach the floor as much as I'd like. Has anyone seen the motorcycle wooded beaded seat cover! Not sure I'd fancy that one on anything but a crusier or a dedicated tourer with an armchair for a seat.

Update Reply
Roachy @ 03/08/2011 07:09  

Thanks Deb will get one of those soon.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/08/2011 13:20  

My friend had a gel seat on the back of her fella's Harley and lost it on a motorway.
They have now got a sheepskin that covers the whole front and rear seat. It cost them £6 from a cheapo shop that had a pet section and it was bought as a pet bed! They both swear by it as better than the previous gel seat. I will have to invest in something soon as sometimes I can go a couple of hundred miles but othertimes I get a sore bum at 50 odd miles.

Update Reply
Rattay @ 04/08/2011 10:08  

Mine have just arrived, so off to fit them now. I'll let you know what difference it made when we get back from Cornwall this weekend. A 450 mile round trip should be a good test. Last time we did the M5 from Plymouth, it was 153 miles and we had to stop 3 times!! Mind you, that was the last leg home after 4 days riding in France, so we were already a little saddle sore!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/08/2011 12:29  

Thankfully i'm getting the ferry to Portsmouth from Santander a little closer to the Midlands than Plymouth, still about 135 miles to Cov though. However I have about 370 miles to travel to Santander from North Portugal. Thinking of staying for a night in Leon Spain, to split the journey. Definitely will be doing a fair bit of repositioning on the bike seat!

Update Reply
Rattay @ 04/08/2011 13:18  

don't seem to have a numb bum problem - maybe they can do gel pads for my palms as I keep getting numb fingers with all the 30 and 40 limits around here

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/08/2011 16:54  

The jury's still out on this one. They will take a bit of getting used to i suppose, but first impressions are that the extra inch (or just a tad under) of height means you lean slightly more onto the bars which may cause other discomforts. The 'wobble factor' moves you a round rather that being stuck to the seat. It's a bit disconcerting to move slightly backwards on the pad when accelerating, and side to side when cornering. Not enough movement to make it dangerous as long as you take it steady at first to get used to it, but still something to be aware of. So there're two possible down sides. I've still to test them out on a long ride, so looking forward to Dorset in 10 days. We usually stop twice on the 155 mile trip, so if its comfy enough to do it in one, or even only a single stop the numb bum thing has been reduced, if not beaten!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/08/2011 15:41  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email