MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Sunburn Through Clothes?

Sunburn Through Clothes? - Forums [Biker Match] Sunburn Through Clothes? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Sunburn Through Clothes?

Are there any scientist types on these forums? I was wondering if it's possible to get sunburnt through your clothes? The reason I ask is I've been out on my bike today with all my gear on and my shoulders are red raw. My jacket is textile with kevlar in it. I could feel the sun beating down on my back even at high speed. So is it possible?

Update Reply
Contradiction @ 26/06/2011 18:09  

cheese cloth ?

Update Reply
Jack Jones @ 26/06/2011 18:50  

unlikely if it's a tight woven material but not imposable. It would depend on exposure time. More likely you've got a heat rash.

Update Reply
Gloom @ 26/06/2011 19:00  

You obviously weren't going fast enough! You can burn through normal clothes, no idea if it's possible in heavier weight materials but it has been really hot today. Saw 31 on the gauge near York.

Update Reply
Roachy @ 26/06/2011 19:04  

I asked my sister who is a scientist and works at Cambridge University. She says, in short, yes, you can still get burnt by the sun through textiles unless it is that UVA and UVB factor 40 fabric which they make beach clothes out of. However, textile motorcycle clothing should not let the sun through to burn you so it is more than likely heat rash.

Hmm... even I've learned something new today, lol. Thanks sis

Update Reply
gixergal @ 26/06/2011 19:27  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email