MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Harley Davidson - Treasure or Tractor which is it for you?

Harley Davidson - Treasure or Tractor which is it for you? (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Harley Davidson - Treasure or Tractor which is it for you? (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Harley Davidson - Treasure or Tractor which is it for you?

No good in england .. Brakes are rubbish and doesn`t go round corners Made for the states where the roads are so straight you could fall asleep .. but you couldn`t on a harley as the vibrations are there to remind you you`re on a bike Sounds like a beach boys song .. Good vibrations .. lol

Update Reply
nitro70 @ 23/06/2011 22:50  

I've pillied on my friends old Harley. It was a nice ride apart from the dreadful seat. His new one has a really comfy looking seat with a sissy bar but I've not had a go on that one. I wouldn't want one though or doubt I could ride one. That goes for any crusier type bike though.

Update Reply
Roachy @ 23/06/2011 23:33  

yep got one ,,comfy , goes off the clock , never broke down, and as ive been told i ride it like my sports bike ,,lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 23/06/2011 23:59  

Funnily enough I was asked today by someone who's never ridden a bike "Why do some people only ever want to ride and own HD's - What's the big deal?" Could only give him my own opinion, I prefer sports bikes to cruisers and choppers but that I thought the look, history and legend of HD's across the years probably meant much more to the people who own one, rather than to the people who aspire to one (some of whom, in my experience, have never ridden a bike!). That said, if I got given one for free, I wouldn't turn my nose up at it!

Update Reply
SuzieSuzuki @ 24/06/2011 00:14  

To buy them you need a lotto win They are a nickable item (more than my BMW anyway) All that polishing BUT I still keep going to the shop looking, I walk away convinced my three paniers, you cant be bettered for stuffing everything in when going away. Would you beleive it Wednesday there was one with all the gear, three big leather paniers, screen, nice paint job, looked the biz and the sound . Change of thought IT WOULD GET NICKED OUTSIDE MY PLACE!!!! (sorry Boss Mom) One day!! One day!!!! I dare not take one for a test ride. There is something about them though????????????

Update Reply
Timeout @ 24/06/2011 17:48  

I love the vibration

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 24/06/2011 17:52  

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

Personally, they don't do it for me, but that's not to say they're not good or bad. Each to their own, just as it should be. As far as I'm concerned, a bike's a bike.....get out there and ride it....be proud of it, whatever you own....You're a biker

Update Reply
Sharky92 @ 24/06/2011 17:56  

But, but Sharky.....the vibration!!!! x

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 24/06/2011 17:59  

Very true sharky Al we will have to meet you at the shop one day but LEAVE you wallet at home

Update Reply
JP @ 24/06/2011 18:00  

Hehe I thought that's why women loved washing machines....but that's another thread entirely

Update Reply
Sharky92 @ 24/06/2011 18:03  

Harleys are the new washing machine Why do you think Bobkat is always smiling. (Sorry Bob, you know I love you)

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 24/06/2011 18:06  

BTW, welcome back to the dark side Sharky xx

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 24/06/2011 18:07  

I got a couple of em and have owned quite a few, so I don’t mind em at all……………… I have owned Japppers and enjoyed them that I had, but it was when I borrowed a mates Harley on a run years ago I realized I LIKED them Harley’s. Yup, Like a few of ya’s I wasn’t impressed by the brakes, the suspension or the acceleration. Case of thinking these don’t go, they don’t stop an dont handle, but feck me, there is summat about them. A few of ya’s have mentioned the odd failing they may have : - - - - - - Shad .. Ridden a couple, brakes are wooden, no ground clearance, no performance, uncomfortable and they vibrated like hell!! Can ya be more specific mate ie what models an age were they? Ground clearance can be an issue, especially when people lower them, as the rage was a few years back, feck that, I wanna be able to go round a bend or a roundabout without grinding me exhausts or me primary case. Vibration varies greatly from model to model, some have rubber mounted motors some now have balance shafts. Bottom line .. .. if you only ever rode one that was say 8 – 10 years old or more .. .. take a ride on a newer one I would suggest you may be pleasantly surprised. Take the amazing HOG lot, people with attitude, as in up your arse attitude ...... road captains !!!!! Brilliant !! an so true Oh and how come with those loud pipes no one seems to complain, they are louder than sports bikes cans. That's just not fair !! Ah, ya see plod expects em to sound louder haha. And its our way of getting back at you’s lot that slag us dahn LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES Although back in the days of Triumphs, it was, Loud tappets save lives !! Geoff .. But for me, I prefer something that accelerates, stops, goes around corners and is comfortable You dont say if you have actually rode one. sooooooo have ya? Or is it just what you’ve heard? As to acceleration .. .. mine does 0 – 120 in 11 seconds .. .. give or take couple of MPH or a couple of tenths!! is that any good for ya? where's GT lol? (Although I think I know what he'll say ... something along the lines of Harleys are rubbish, modded Harleys are ace. Let's see if I'm right!) Aha, trying to second guess me Geoff tut tut !! - - - Close, but no cigar. .. .. .. In reality, they are a good bike if bought an used for the purpose they were and are designed. I know people who have kept their bike bog stock an believe me, they are so reliable in that form as most components are well over engineered If you wanna bike to go scratching on .. don’t get one They are cruisers !! operative word there boys n girls. BUT, you can modify them whatever level you want, .. all it takes is shed load of dough an someone who can do PROPERLY. They have also evolved tremendously over the years .. . .before HD took back control from AMF, quality was a big issue ie it didn’t exist!!!! Brakes, as Shad has said, were wooden right up to around year 2000, But even that varied a huge amount, you could get on one an it’d have crap brakes, jump on another an they’d be great, Ok maybe not great but far far better than anothers lol !! although these bloody heavy bikes still only have a single front disc on all Softail models, most Dyna models and most Sportsters. IMO any bike that weighs as much as they do should have a twin disc set up on the front !!! Those that have a 21” front wheel cant have twin disc as the braking forces will snap the spokes on the skittish, narrow, tall wheels, so again The reason that you buy a Harley should be taken into consideration. Suspension has got better in last 5 years or so and comfort .. .. Again far better with later models I Spose Im saying if you only rode one more that a few years back, Try em again. Another reason I like em, is I make a living repairing, servicing an making the odd 12 or 20 go A LOT quicker than the factory ever intended. Anyhow, Im sure you all heard the expression .. .. “If I have to explain, you wouldn’t understand” An You don’t need a lotto win to own one, they start around 6K, ok, they go up to around 30K, but thats for a Screamin’ Eagle CVO top of range Touring model. One major thing a Harley has is its resale value .. .. they hold their money better than anything else…. Buy a 15K Softail now an in 10 years time you’ll still 8k – 10k for it. Trish .. .. haha Dirty girl .. .. I know what ya mean tho’ – hang on, not ME ya understand .. A couple of pilly’s have mentioned “I LIKE going on your bike Tony “.. .. for the very reason you are referring to. Ok, now we done that …. What about Balls out sports bikes .. . I hate em … I don’t like having me head down near the front wheel an me arse looking like Im offering it up to Elton John an the likes. BUT do I spend me life slaggin em orf ?? nope !! I respect whatever any body likes to ride … (two strokes an pizza bike scooter thingy wotsits excepted haha)

Update Reply
GreasyTony @ 24/06/2011 20:04  

Nah I don't do out and out sports bikes either, I've had a few in the past, but not as extreme as they seem to be now, always feel as if my hands are down by the front wheel spindle and as for getting behind the screen!! what screen!!!

It was quite a while ago when I rode those harleys, one was definitely a sportster, it was definitely pre 2000, cos I rode it in 2000 and it was at least 10 years old. That was the one with shit brakes and no performance, you changed gear and all it did was make more noise, it didn't go any quicker.

The other one wasn't as old I don't think but it was really uncomfortable, couldn't get settled on it at all. I had the lend of a 750 virago for a while, now comfortwise that was good, and was fine for a while until the novelty worn off

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/06/2011 21:25  

GT....bring on the good vibrations

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 24/06/2011 21:43  

Never rode a Harley but i have rode a Buell and it was a absolute HOOT

The Road Captain comment, that is brilliant, that WILL be used in anger on my Harley riding mates PMSL

Update Reply
marsey @ 24/06/2011 21:58  

"Although back in the days of Triumphs, it was, Loud tappets save lives" !!

still do mate loads of Bandits on the road lol

I know it's off topic but could not resist it

Update Reply
marsey @ 24/06/2011 22:07  

half the fun in owning a harley is not knowing if it's gonna get you there!! (or is that just mine!) but i don't mind that, it might not go/steer/stop as modern bikes do, but i just ride within the limits of the bike

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/06/2011 22:46  

jdhog i have had 80`s jap bikes like that mate , love takin the piss out of Harleys, cos i can, all two wheels have their pros and cons

Update Reply
marsey @ 24/06/2011 23:17  

jdhog I know exactly what you mean lol, was at Alba West rally, got home today and had that very converation with someone. I know all the negative stuff but as soon as I see my MacBeastie and hear him start up - I have a massive smile

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 26/06/2011 23:10  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email