MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Harley Davidson - Treasure or Tractor which is it for you?

Harley Davidson - Treasure or Tractor which is it for you? - Forums [Biker Match] Harley Davidson - Treasure or Tractor which is it for you? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Harley Davidson - Treasure or Tractor which is it for you?

I ride a Harley Davidson Road King called MacBeastie. I love every bit of him (even the bits that have fallen off ). I have heard probably every joke there is about them but am genuinely interested in how many people that slag them off have actually ridden one? I truly do not take offence to the ribbing I get constantly for riding a Harley, however, have noticed that HD riders rarely slag off other types of bikes. I admire anyone who rides any bike and this is not a dig at anyone, I am honestly interested in everyone's opinion - this is not a thread that will turn into a bun fight I promise. So I'm braced and ready - bring on your thoughts, thank you

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 23/06/2011 09:25  

if its bigger than mine , and its in good nik , i`ll swap (any make or model )

Update Reply
Jack Jones @ 23/06/2011 09:28  

As I ride one aswell I know that we do get stick all the time but if we dare to talk about other makes we get the world against us

Update Reply
JP @ 23/06/2011 10:17  

I dont own one and nor do I want to have one of my own, but I have ridden one, 10 day tour up the california coast line, the bike was an electra glide with what seemed like a sofa on the back for the wife to sit comfortably on. I enjoyed riding it and it could shift when it wanted to, and I was quite cocomfy after a while with the footboards scraping when you go round corners. The bike was excellent for the job it had to do, we rode about 300 to 350 miles a day and never once were we tired when we got off.
The reason I wouldnt have one myself is that it doesnt suit the type of riding I do in this country, big open roads yes but twisties are a bit different.
Nothing against them though.

Update Reply
wheelbarrow @ 23/06/2011 10:54  

i love harleys !!!!!!,, been on a few and they kick ass!!!

<<, for bobkat xx

Update Reply
Boodyblues @ 23/06/2011 10:59  

Well I for one love Harleys but everyone I know doesn't like them but to be fair they all love their sports bikes, so it's each to their own. I'd love to own one but a bit pricey for me. Most people who slag them off tell me they're unreliable, don't know how true that is?? Only been on a street bob and that was fantastic but it didn't corner that well but that engine oh...potato potato lol..sends shivers down me spine

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 23/06/2011 11:28  

JP. All the crap that seems to be aimed in your direction i dont think the insults are ment for your bike, its just that you happen to own one. Just an observation dear boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update Reply
Timeout @ 23/06/2011 16:41  

You're only jealous Bob, found room for mine yet?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 23/06/2011 16:42  

I dig my HOG Iron, always wanted one from when I was young, but never took the leap until recently. I've had a number of Sporty's (CBR, GSXR, R6 & briefly R1 trackbike). Loved every minute of riding them all but decided it was time to slow things down and enjoy my riding and whats around me, instead of the blur. I can honestly say the Iron has rekindled my passion for riding. Big 's for all HOG lovers

Update Reply
bomb doctor @ 23/06/2011 16:57  

You just cannot beat that sound! As I have posted before, have thought about selling mine but then I start it up, and just can't go through with it. Maybe just get a different one lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 23/06/2011 17:08  

I agree with most, that most people who hate them have proberly never even ridden a Harley. I've been lucky that in the past I've had the chance to sample a few, (don't ask me the model's cus I've no clue). i've always said though that if I was to buy a Harley it'd be the street rod/v rod variety. Such power from that big water cooled v twin.

Those big air cooled v twins might be a little on the crude side, but god what fun though.

ooh and I did own a Buell XB for a few years and that was real fun aswell

Update Reply
SPESH @ 23/06/2011 17:12  

i have owned Yams, suzis, kwaks and all other manner of bikes in my time, but have always loved my Harley wont part with it, its part of my being!! and it annoys the hell out of the neighbours as well!!loud n proud on me harley!! Shaggy

Update Reply
shaggy101 @ 23/06/2011 18:30  

Pig Iron or plastic pocket rocket is all good ! id be happy with either

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 23/06/2011 18:39  

there just a bike, nothing special

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 23/06/2011 18:49  

Having ridden a friends Electra Glide I can say it looked lovely and rode dreadfully! Not for me thanks..... If we all liked the same bikes the world would be a boring place!

Update Reply
Sprint900 @ 23/06/2011 20:46  

*rubs hands*

Harleys ..... where's greasy Tony?

Ridden a couple, brakes are wooden, no ground clearance, no performance, uncomfortable and they vibrated like hell!!

I was going to give them an open mind, but all they did was confirm everything I'd heard about them.

And most of the pillions I spoken to hated them until the seat was changed.

I was also told that I probably needed to change the bars to get me comfortable .... errr why??? I expect with the price they are, to be able to adjust the standard bars to suit.

Take the amazing HOG lot, people with attitude, as in up your arse attitude ride them ...... road captains

Oh and how come with those loud pipes no one seems to complain, they are louder than sports bikes cans. That's just not fair !!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 23/06/2011 20:48  

lol @ SF!!

Harleys ... I've absolutely nothing against those who want to ride them and if they enjoy it, cool.

But for me, I prefer something that accelerates, stops, goes around corners and is comfortable lol!!

Sorry .... couldn't resist. As SF says, where's GT lol?

(Although I think I know what he'll say ... something along the lines of Harleys are rubbish, modded Harleys are ace. Let's see if I'm right!)

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 23/06/2011 21:21  

I was told the only thing fast forward on a Harley was on the cassette player? (applies to Goldwings too)

Update Reply
Sprint900 @ 23/06/2011 21:49  

Some of the Harleys you see are absolute works of art and brilliant to look at ....but to me, that's about it. And to get there takes massive amounts of time and money. From what i can see, since the japs started building cruisers, the poor quality and overpricing of standard Harleys just got highlighted, the company had to sort themselves out big style, but they have a massive fan base of die hard owners and people who grow up wanting a Harley ('cos it's a Harley) to keep them going. It would be nice to know how many people have made the switch from Harley to Jap cruiser, or the other way round, and if they've actually gone back again...and why. For me, i would echo Wheelbarrow, i bet they're great fun in the states, (but so would a goldwing). HD-- Nice place to visit, but i wouldn't want to live there Lol.

Update Reply
Weirdoraptor @ 23/06/2011 22:01  

streetfighters or hayabusas all day long for me

Update Reply
picko @ 23/06/2011 22:11  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email