MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Do you nod?

Do you nod? (5) - Forums [Biker Match] Do you nod? (5) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Do you nod?

one of the young lads on my forum, asked why he didn't get any nods back, I told him on bikes there are two distinct breeds of rider, the biker and the motorcyclist, and they are poles apart. Because a biker might not nod first, but he will nod back, by the fact you have levelled with him.
a twat on a Harley is still a twat, bloody right I don't nod at every bike I see. Screws ride bikes, the police ride bikes, neither are on my christmas card list .............................. if I do it, it is instinctively, the way I would in a pub or any social arena. Sorry, buying a bike just don't cut it, with getting pally with me. No-one can testify to being a 100% nodder, if they do, they don't ride enough, try despatching in a city and nodding at every bike you see, you will end up in the morgue.

Update Reply
cruiser mic @ 29/06/2011 17:35  

I like to nod and be nodded at but sometimes if you passing a load of bikes its not normal to keep nodding. At meets you might nod at one or tow on th run in and run out but cant nod at everyone. If i am really happy i might give a wave like they do in scotland other times i just look or get on withn my riding. Yes dispatch i can fuly undertstand not nodding on here i nod if i like a bike or a profile same as on the road really. If i think they wont nod sometimes i make the effort to give a big nod just to p..... em off lol but thats the devil in me

Like noddy im too old to be bothered lol :)

Update Reply
earthwind @ 29/06/2011 20:29  

hi, im a nodder

Update Reply
dicko-exup @ 30/06/2011 11:17  

@ geoff & to earthwind's

altogether now... "I like nodding, I like nodding
I like nodding & I like to nod"

... except to those I consider are doing a disservice to other bikers ... they just get a shake of my head (but I do like geoff's idea )

I reckon many learners don't nod cos no one's told them about it? Not sure what excuse career scooter-ists have tho' maybe their brains really are stuck in the 60's!

A wave of the hand best covers a group of "biker-ists" & a for car drivers who make room (probably bikers anyway)

Update Reply
mikelebike @ 30/06/2011 11:51  

lol its all good fun especially when people dont nod and then nod at the last minute and as on the egg run its waving all the way ......................................lol

Update Reply
earthwind @ 30/06/2011 11:55  

"And if that doesn't work then I'll simply hold them down and punch them repeatedly in the face until the screams of anguish turn into random bloody gargling and bubble blowing."

That is being a bit lenient Geoff

Update Reply
marsey @ 30/06/2011 12:47  

lol good grief

Update Reply
earthwind @ 01/07/2011 02:44  

always giv a fellow biker a nod and 99% of the time get 1 bak

Update Reply
andyl250 @ 02/07/2011 21:05  

On another note How many people give the thumbs up when they see another biker on the side of the road? I usually do cause you never know when some needs an assist.

Update Reply
potnoodles @ 03/07/2011 19:44  

Well on the pilly ride today we passed 100s of bikes and I nodded or rased my hand to all but only about 10% returned

Update Reply
JP @ 03/07/2011 20:32  

well even a scooter is two wheels and i regularly ride in a tshirt and combat trousers ITS MY CHOICE if you want to wear full leathers and look like a cumberland sosage thats your choice i do nod to all bikes yes even quads why not it dont hurt to

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/07/2011 22:24  

Yes Potnoodles....i give the thumbs up sign if a biker is by the side of the road.

Unfortunately though i recently stopped and tried to help a fellow biker, a learner .....i couldn't really help him as he was having a mechanical problem and as my knowledge in that field is non-existent !!! Got to say i felt like a bit of an idiot but it was my instinct to stop

Update Reply
loving it @ 03/07/2011 22:51  

I always nod, always have done cos i feel it's a mutual respect thing between fellow bikers.....not sure about the scooters, although if they do nod then i will cos i do know a few mates who use a scooter for to an from work instead of using the bikes.

Update Reply
stretchmark @ 04/07/2011 14:59  

scooter well i have been seen riding a honda c 90 it was for a whole year toooooo

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/07/2011 01:49  

ahhhhhh yessss (said in a Churchill styleee voice)

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 05/07/2011 15:26  

i regularly ride in a tshirt and combat trousers ITS MY CHOICE Fair enuff - but only if u hav private medical insurance, to cover your extra injuries.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/07/2011 15:31  

Nod or hand up...well... apart from those wee men on scooter things,although proper scooter riders are usually ok,dont get one back all the time tho its a bit crap really, Aint what it used to be thats for sure.
Doesnt matter what you ride as long as your happy with it, take your time with whatever you run, nowt like experience to carry you on.

Update Reply
fxr swas @ 13/08/2011 23:27  

I always nod, it varies depending on my speed or concentration, from a slight dip to a full head wag!!!!!!! I find get a buzz from being nodded at, makes me feel part of the biking community and yes I am also one of those who finds themself nodding when in the car!!!!! doh!!!! I also will stop and ask another rider if theyre ok.....not because I can help mechanically but I know id appreciate it if it were me, and seeing a cheerful face when you are at the side of the road makes a differnence......................I hope!!!!!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/08/2011 02:02  

I usually nod, however if I don't, it's because I'm concentrating. Since coming off last year and smashing my wrist in several places, I tend to pay more attention to what I'm doing

Update Reply
jeanzqueen @ 14/08/2011 10:54  

I am not sure where this nodding came from or when it started. I only nod in situations where another biker or car has given way for me. If you nodded at every bike you see riding through London rush hour your head would fall of. Don't see a problem with riding 125, it's all you really need when riding mainly in a city. What are you going to do with all those extra nags. The question I ask is, by nodding are you showing respect for the other rider or their bike?????? I rode 250 for many years (failed test in 66) then 125 until last year. I must suffer from the woman thing, frightened of faiilure. As I had always kicked myself for not getting the licence I decided it's never too late and what the f"*ck if I fail, they are not going to shoot me. As I had done my 47 year apprentiship on a bike. I took the plunge and past. Not bad for a 63 year old git. I admit I took the test on a 125 so I have to wait a little longer for the full unrestricted licence. However I am now riding the bike I want, 1958 BMW R50, 500cc and only 26 nags, but its great fun.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 14/08/2011 12:58  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email