MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

IAM re-test tomorrow

IAM re-test tomorrow (2) - Forums [Biker Match] IAM re-test tomorrow (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

IAM re-test tomorrow

Thanks Big Al. By the by, I watched the video. Good stuff.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/06/2011 11:47  

Thanks bandit lover

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/06/2011 11:48  

Cool. Well done mate. RoSPA now?

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 18/06/2011 14:39  

Thanks geoffb2005. I’ve heard of the RoSPA before but haven’t looked into it. I mentioned it to a colleague yesterday and as well as discussing other courses, he went on saying I’ll end up riding like the Police.
But I don’t think that’s a bad thing.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/06/2011 15:03  

Ha ha - well it is true Weepiobair that most RoSPA courses are run by coppers, many of whom are Police instructors and examiners. So in many ways you do end up riding like the Police.

But that certainly doesn't mean you can't have fun still, just hopefully that you'll stay alive a lot longer whilst doing so lol!!

Just don't think that their instruction is exactly the same as the instruction they give other coppers ... now we have to stick to the law under instruction!! It wasn't always like that mind! I can still remember hearing a little voice in my ear that regularly would say things like "What are we hanging around for, long straight road, no junctions, no traffic, excellent visibility, so let's get to the other end!" At which point I'd glance at my speedo to see that we're already doing a ton lol!!!

But their instruction is very good, is aimed at making progress safely (as is all advanced instruction of course), but they have the advantage of knowing exactly what causes motorcycle accidents and are able to tailor training accordingly.

So, although it is possible that it makes you ride like a copper in some ways, it doesn't in many others I am certain. They do encourage an individual to develop their own riding style which is good and along as it's safe, it doesn't have to be as the Police do. I hang off occasionally for example, something they never ever do! But the majority of my advanced training as an example, has been under the Police and so I am only too aware that this does affect your riding.

But no, I don't think that's a bad thing at all.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 18/06/2011 15:15  

…. the advantage of knowing exactly what causes motorcycle accidents and are able to tailor training accordingly. So, although it is possible that it makes you ride like a copper in some ways, it doesn't in many others… Good stuff. Just what I needed to read as I’ve a planned ride-out with mental mates tomorrow (that I've been avoiding for the last year lol)!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/06/2011 15:40  

big shnogs for ronnie,,lol,,, yay well done xx

Update Reply
Boodyblues @ 18/06/2011 16:15  

shnogs! lol. Thanks boody xx

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/06/2011 16:32  

Congrats & Well done

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 18/06/2011 16:43  

Thanks Holmfirthgirl

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/06/2011 16:50  

Congrats on the pass Ronnie, I'm not sure that mental mates will be a help in keeping you alive while riding lol, safe journeys.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 19/06/2011 09:53  

Thanks Sandi. Actually I was out today as planned at the bike show at Wells-next-to-Sea. Even in the rain with mental overtakes I had no worries (for how long I don’t know lol). Safe journeys, Ronnie

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/06/2011 21:34  

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 21/06/2011 18:36  

Weepio, they are good vids, very instructional. ROSPA or IAM? I considered both after doing a bikesafe course. Hear some less than glowing things about ROSPA so chose IAM. No regrets, like you, was tested by a Class 1 Police Motorcyclist and passed the standard. ROSPA is no different other than they grade a test and you take it every 3 years. Why? Bad habits forming etc...well if you keep in with the IAM crowd (observer training, group rides etc) then this is unlikely. So for me, IAM is the better option.

Update Reply
Big Al.. @ 21/06/2011 20:42  

I like the fact you have to retake (and pass) your test every 3 years with RoSPA. I agree with what you are saying though about keeping in with crowd (be that RoSPA or IAM) and retaining your skills. What I don't think is right with the IAM though is being able to pass your test and as long as you pay your fee every year you are entitled to officially call yourself an advanced rider/driver (motorist) and avail yourself of the insurance discounts. Even though it was 57 years ago when you passed your test and now you're a menace on the roads!

Update Reply
Roachy @ 21/06/2011 21:03  

Hi Roachy, why do you like the fact that you have to retake (and pass) your test every three years with ROSPA? IMHO, a test is a certificate of competence (of sorts) - it is realistic to expect that eventhough we age and get a bit muddled, if we are trained correctly we will improve with experience i.e. become more fluent, smoother, anticipate etc (that's my experience in every aspect of life); we may get a few bad habits, so what. A test is fairly academic until the time comes when we are dangerous. As a biker I hope we know when that day comes...sliding arse bumping along the A5 with an artic coming the opposite direction..and not knowing why we are sliding etc I don't believe IAM bikers sit on their machine, pay the annual fee of £29.xx and do so to obtain the discounts (because those discounts don't exist - there is always cheaper). Passing your test is the start not the end

Update Reply
Big Al.. @ 21/06/2011 23:20  

You don't need to pass any test to do the training and actually be an advanced rider though do you?
At the end of the day it's only a label but if it's a label you wish to offically have then I prefer the RoSPA way as it ensures the standard is maintained.

Update Reply
Roachy @ 21/06/2011 23:37  

To do advanced training you need to become an associate (unless you do it privately). You can take as long as you like to prepare for the test. Good luck with RoSPA.

Update Reply
Big Al.. @ 21/06/2011 23:45  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email