MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

IAM re-test tomorrow

IAM re-test tomorrow - Forums [Biker Match] IAM re-test tomorrow - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

IAM re-test tomorrow

It was 5 months ago I’d taken my advanced test. The examiner had said in amongst the pre-test brief, he was looking for accuracy more than anything else. Cutting a long story short, I failed it by two points lol. What he failed me on, was the road position on right-handers. I was cutting the apex and venturing into the middle of the road. 5 months on I think I’ve nailed it. So much so I think I’m beginning to scare car drivers as I can see in my mirrors they back right off, as maybe they’re thinking I’m going to ditch it lol! Saying all that though, I’m still looking at the line of the bend and not entirely the exit. Anybody any thoughts on the exit line would be much appreciated. Cheers, Ronnie P.s. I’ve taken today off from work to prepare my mind. I’m not nervous I’m just sg bricks!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/06/2011 16:10  

Best of luck hon, will keep all my fingers crossed for you x

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 16/06/2011 16:19  

Thanks Shell x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/06/2011 16:21  

good luck ronnie

Update Reply
Boodyblues @ 16/06/2011 16:26  

thanks boody

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/06/2011 16:33  

Look as far ahead as you can then when you see the corner opening up that's the time to come into the bend and start getting on the power. You probably already know that and it takes a while to get usd to it.

Update Reply
wheelbarrow @ 16/06/2011 16:38  

Like you say wheelbarrow, it takes a while to get used to it.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/06/2011 16:56  

As Wheelbarrow says, stay wide until you can see the exit and then peel in towards your exit point, getting on the throttle as you do.

Remember though to always be willing to sacrifice position for safety, so on left handers, move away from the white line when there is oncoming traffic and on right handers try to avoid the channel because that's where rubbish collects and you could get punctures and keep away from the channel altogether where the side of the road is damaged and sunken.

Regarding throttle, I've always liked the technique of using the vanishing point as a throttle guide. So if the VP is moving towards you, close the throttle to slow the bike thereby keeping away from the VP. Conversely, when the VP starts to move away from you, open the throttle and chase it!

But don't just think about the VP, think about hedgerows, trees, fence lines etc as these can all offer a clue as to where the road is going.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 16/06/2011 17:34  

Thanks geoffb2005 lots of good points there. You’re hammering home points I’ve already had said from Observers and reading. Similar to, always sacrifice position for safety. Your vanishing point is what I know as the Limit Point of Vision (LPOV). And lastly think about hedgerows, trees, fence lines etc as these can all offer a clue as to where the road is going is probably one of the last things I learnt to do. Thanks again.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/06/2011 17:53  

Good Luck Ronnie xx

Update Reply
pinkstorm @ 16/06/2011 18:51  

Thanks pinkstorm xx

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/06/2011 19:01  

good luck weepiobair " just remeber to open your eyes and go around the cornes mate you'll be fine im sure

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 16/06/2011 19:50  

Thanks WheelyNealy.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/06/2011 07:43  

Good luck Weepiobair, second try around you're bound to nail it - I passed mine in Nov 10. slow in fast out at the correct gear safety over position Maximise view if safe to do so - i.e. keep kerbside for the right hander Chase the exit / limit point with your view, as this will keep you on track maintain a positive throttle for stability as soon as you have your view you should straighten up and prepare for the next hazard, so thinking several moves ahead makes you look smooth as a general comment for all - if you haven't read road craft then that's better than the IAM manual also, I found these videos good preparation for the test.
http://www.youtube.com/user/advancedbiker

Update Reply
Big Al.. @ 17/06/2011 14:11  

One thing I didn't say Weepio is big thumbs up from me for the whole post test training thing. It's always good to hear people taking advanced training seriously.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 17/06/2011 16:39  

PASSED. And it was a good pass too. Many thanks ALL, for your support. Ronnie P.s. I’ve been dieing to get on this screen all day!! But it was straight to work after the test and I.T. wouldn’t let me get here. So I’m not long home from work and just celebrated with a Kebab and chips!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/06/2011 01:24  

Congrats Ronnie Please dont mention chips - i could really eat some now

Update Reply
pinkstorm @ 18/06/2011 01:37  

Thanks pinkstorm. My local kabab shop closed at 1am. But I think KFC doesn't close until 3. So you should be ok lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/06/2011 01:46  

well done

Update Reply
Big Al.. @ 18/06/2011 11:40  

Well done Ronnie

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 18/06/2011 11:44  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email