MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

moto guzzi

moto guzzi - Forums [Biker Match] moto guzzi - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

moto guzzi

im toying wjth the idea of a moto guzzi dont know what model yet what goes wrong with them

Update Reply
havfun @ 12/06/2011 14:17  

Where to start with Guzzis; lol. Older models will constantly leak oil and the switch gear is crap. The oil itself is not a major issue as long as you remember to check it regularly. Most older models will have had the switchgear changed to something Japanese by the previous owners, particularly if they ride in the rain regularly as they will have constantly broken down; lol. There was a problem with the UJ's on the drive shaft at one time but think this was a factory issue which was rectified. Now they're owned by Aprilia they may be better with the newer models. If you look on the MGCGB website you will get loads of info from the forums there.

Update Reply
Simon66 @ 27/07/2011 01:09  

I owned a few moto guzzi's between 1982 and 2010 (the last one I owned for 21 years!)

Contradictory to all the generalisations about italian electrics, paintwork and maintenance, I never had any problems with any of them and I did a lot of miles - for 20 yrs, a bike was my only mode of transport.

I think the older classic bikes are more reliable than the new bikes because it's simple mechanics - ideal if you like doing your own servicing.

Take Simon's advice and join the MG forum online, do some research and make sure you have a test ride. Many riders don't like the V twin engine - lots of torque, not much top end.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/08/2011 22:55  

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/ There be a guzzi section in there..

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/08/2011 23:09  

Hey Pumpkin, did you ever go to the International or V Twin Rallies with the Guzzi Club?

Update Reply
Simon66 @ 03/08/2011 01:23  

Never had a problem with a good diet of Italian vibes and reliability but always found rice and high revs a little bit uncomfortable , as for tractors why buy a bike and throw half of it away ? I must be missing the point or is it the uniform you have to wear to ride [ pose ] on one [ Nice chaps ]

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/09/2011 14:47  

Guzzi's are good solid bike if as with all you maintain them properly
when I worked in a dealer ship they would come out of the crate with a list as long as your arm saying we've missed this and can you check that though lol
but there great bikes really

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 04/09/2011 15:47  

hmm, full of character is how I would describe mine.. I guess a marmite bike...luv or hate emm! Reliable..yes very,that said they do go wrong like ANY other mechanical thing..some failures I experienced have been major that shld never have happened at the mileages. My Calli is twenty plus yrs old, you tell me to get on it an ride to Itally..fine just pump the tyres,check the oil n lights,fill the tank and go!! no isues there! Utmost faith in it. An of course, it will keep going an going....solid dependable low tech bike., Lots of owners club/forum suport too, dealers hmm,the old established ones are the ones to go too...Twigggers, Corsa,Three Cross.. The recent Guzzis are as good as anything else out there..and look brill. If U wanna be different then look no further,

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 28/11/2011 12:50  

Brilliant bikes for the home mechanic. So simple to work on. Highly addictive, they have real character. I have a 1978 Spada and love it. Reliability is not an issue so long as you look after them. So different from the standard universal jap machines. Give one a try if you can and take it on a good long test ride to get used to it.

Update Reply
Guzziguy123 @ 22/12/2011 00:58  

round barrel guzzi's are worth more!

Update Reply
TonyG @ 29/12/2011 19:34  

But round barrel bikes are a collectors toy,,if u need a bike to use go for later bikes... If you want a ltd edition V11 come see me..

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 02/01/2012 22:24  

Not had/ ridden as many guzzis as some on here,
But had season on Californian
(pick a gear, any gear n torque all way from 20pmh to 120 ish)
And as fun as anything once you get your mindset
Changed.
Borrowed a griso too a few times, (late model) and brakes handing
Comfort tank range all quite good, shaft drive a joy (aquired!!)
And on my "future bike" list for sure.

Update Reply
oldyeti @ 03/01/2012 22:54  

Simon, who is Pumpkin? Norm, did you get a Guzzi?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 03/01/2012 23:50  

yee I agrree with way u can ride a Calli so lazily....who needs gears...even up steep windy hills at 25mph two up.....in top gear @1200rpm!

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 16/01/2012 15:22  

I had a few Cali's and a 1000s (like a Le Mans). I used to love my Guzzi's. You could load them up with camping gear for your holidays and didn't even notice. I never had much of a problem with mine as they were regularly maintained.
If you get an old one pre fuel injection you need to go to the gym to pump up your throttle arm. The later models with fuel injection are fine.
Handling was good and even the Cali was pretty quick. The linked brakes and shaft take a bit of getting used to. You can't get away with things as much as 4 cylinder bikes and need to rev down the box and get things sorted before cornering. The linked brakes I always liked, you have to educate yourself to use the foot pedal all the time and only use the 'hand' brake in emergencies (if you use the hand brake only, you won't stop).
The Guzzi club used to be great. Haven't been a member for years, but their rallies were well relaxed.
Wish I had a Cali still, but not practical for my commute...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/01/2012 19:08  

I agree Mersey Beat wiv all you say except the heavy throtle action, mine was heavy so removed cables and oiled emm, greased up twistgrip internals and link box under tank and now its fine...ok still not as light as a fuel inj bike but on a par with any carb engined twin....a tip is to fit one of those throttle assist thingies...not that I have.. A great old school motorbike fer sure, a classic..

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 01/02/2012 22:21  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email