MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Totally non biking and one for the girls

Totally non biking and one for the girls - Forums [Biker Match] Totally non biking and one for the girls - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Totally non biking and one for the girls

Yeah I know...not bike related - sorry! Guys, if there are any Gok Wan's out there, feel free to chime in. My Sister gets married in July and I'm chief bridesmaid jobbie. I'm wearing a full length dress in what I'd call a peacock blue. The maker calls it teal but it's never been teal. Anyway...I need to get it shortened and for that I need to decide on shoes. My thinking is I have 3 choices, dyed to match, black or silver. Whatever I find will have to have little or no heel as I don't do heels and my Sis being 5 foot nothing doesn't want everyone towering over her either. Think I'll need a full shoe as well rather than anything strappy. I went to a wedding on Sat where the maids wore pale green tea dresses with ivory shoes but I don't think they'd work with peacock blue?? Any ideas would be really helpful as I'm totally clueless at stuff like this.

Update Reply
Roachy @ 31/05/2011 12:48  

silver, defo silver darling

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 31/05/2011 14:17  

Definitely kitten heels dyed to match... Get yourself online and I'm sure you'll find something to match... Good luck tho-nothing worse than finding shoes to match a dress-my worst nightmare was trying to find a pair of gorgeous shoes to match my graduation ball dress- just ended up dressing a pair of black heels up with pearl earrings but looked gorgeous on the night lol

Update Reply
mizzi @ 31/05/2011 14:42  

hmmm, id go for sling back kitten heel courts in a neutral shade,, when you go shopping for them go first thing in the morning so you dont have swollen feet!!...there are a lot of satin and fabric typr evening shoes about if you look round but dont get frustrated looking, have a break and try the next day or youll end up mad lol,, PAVERS have some really nice evening shoes at the moment if theres a store near you,, x boo

Update Reply
Boodyblues @ 31/05/2011 15:19  

Lmao ... Wish I could offer help but I am a high heels gal all the way, and am struggleing myself on the style of shoe and fabric etc etc to go with my wedding dress, it's murder looking now, but at least I have 12 months to go .. Will keep an eye on this for ideas

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 31/05/2011 15:26  

Would love to help but dont think i have a girle bone in my body ............ gut feeling says go with black as it goes with everything :)

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 31/05/2011 16:09  

hahahh ... except your 'girly' chief bridesmaids dress BJ

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 31/05/2011 16:21  

Well....as a more mature (!!!) member...I'd choose shoes foremost for comfort...you'll have a lot of standing around to do and there's nowt worse than sore feet to ruin the fun!! Don't forget that you could always customise a pair to match using colour-matched ribbon,beads and glue!!!

Update Reply
Alice2 @ 31/05/2011 16:52  

Think I'd be tempted to go for a multi coloured shoe with a few blues/greens in them. As for the style, no idea, I'd just go for stylish comfort given you'll be wearing them all day!

Update Reply
Blackberry @ 31/05/2011 16:54  

Yeah agree about the comfort cos hurty tootsies shows on your face, and if you aren't used to wearing them they will probably get uncomfortable. I'm definitely a kitten-heel girl myself but it's always good to have a complimentary pair of mules or soft flexible court-type flatties stashed away in your bag....no one will notice once they've had a few bevvies and you can let your hair down a bit....and if you enjoy a bop lol Teal is my favourite colour

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 31/05/2011 17:12  

Id go for any of the colours in the dress, sorry Dik, i think silver shoes look tacky and cheap x

Update Reply
pinkstorm @ 31/05/2011 18:01  

How many teals does it take to make a full-length dress? Won't the RSPCB be up in arms?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 31/05/2011 18:29  

I dunno XK, what with Teals, Peacocks and even Kingfishers you could have a point! Thanks Ladies (and Gents) for your input. I'm still not really any the wiser on what to do. I might see if I can get them dyed grey, that might work quite nicely.

Update Reply
Roachy @ 31/05/2011 18:51  

When you say you're having the dress shortened... do you mean to above/just below the knee (hence the problem about what colour shoes?) Or is it still going to be full length (you just need it skimming the floor?)
If it's the former, and your shoes will be seen... why don't you opt for the 'ballet pump' style that's the latest thing right now? They come in loads of colours but if you're fretting about it, skin tone (light tan) will always win the day and have the effect of lengthening the leg! (always a bonus!) but make sure your stockings are as near to the colour of the shoe as poss! This option will also work for the latter, if the dress is full length. Whatever style of shoe you decide on, if they're comfy, you'll feel better throughout the day!

Update Reply
SuzieSuzuki @ 31/05/2011 19:06  

get yersel a nice pair o blue wellies n start a new trend , an if it pisses down on the day at least you'll have dry feet Farmer Gok

Update Reply
fastjock @ 31/05/2011 19:18  

Hi Suzie. Yes, the dress will be floor length but I need about 6 inches lopping off the bottom (depending on heel height). I am leaning towards a ballet pump style although part of me is thinking it won't be elegant enough but the other half thinks, who is gonna see the shoes anyway! Cheers Dugald for that suggestion. Not sure about wellies but I reckon a pair of docs could look quite smart.

Update Reply
Roachy @ 31/05/2011 20:11  

ay up roachy .... i would go for shoes dyed same colour as dress - i been bridesmaid twice for both my brothers and both times i had shoes same colour as dress... admittedly they had a heal and were more strappy suede style but really pretty.. i used to work for a place called Rainbow Club that actually will die satin shoes to the colour of a material swatch you send in to them..... not sure how expensive it is like but might be worht checking out if they still do it.. they had info in some shoe shops i think a slip on with a very tiny kitten heel in the teal colour would look lovely meself depending on the style of the dress aswell im sure you will look gorgeous which ever way you decide to go and good luck

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 31/05/2011 21:52  

I've been a bridesmaid three times and maid of honour once. The maid of honour I looked like Big Bird off Sesame Street - bright yellow flouncy dress and bright yellow shoes to match (which were lovely) - it was for my best mate but I still moan about the dress! I would always go with matching shoes for a bridesmaid's dress. Get it turned up and take the swatch of cloth with you when you shop because it has to match completely. I'd check out getting them dyed definitely

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 31/05/2011 23:18  

Hi lass what size are you as got some that might do for you then forking out plus you not far from me (Huddersfield),these Ive got are open toe shoes yet strap to your feet not too high also have gem stones as butterflies on them also nearley matching handbag,use once for wedding went to other year,im more a boots person then shoes TBH but did the girly thing for her so if any good then welcome Im a size 5/6 if that helps :)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/06/2011 13:13  

LOL @ FarmerJock. My former brother-in law's Mrs wore designer wellies when the photographer took photos of them, outside the reception room, in the garden. It was a posh 'do'. Very flash, probably why I wasn't invited I wouldn't go with GREY Rachel, I think they may look dirty. I'm with the others too, if you're not used to heels don't wear them. Ballet style shoes, no heels at all, can be just as uncomfortable if you're not used to flatties either. Can make your calfs hurt. Remember to put a photo on your profile, when you decide what to wear, so we can see you in all your splendour. Enjoy the day.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 02/06/2011 16:23  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email