MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Loading up a sportsbike for camping..

Loading up a sportsbike for camping.. (4) - Forums [Biker Match] Loading up a sportsbike for camping.. (4) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Loading up a sportsbike for camping..

Just remember that overloading a bike can be just as dangerous as having badly deflated tyres. Many think loading up the pillion seat is safe as it's no worse than having a pillion, but if it isn't totally secure then it is due to acting as a dead weight rather than a weight that holds itself up.

Experienced pillions don't tend to suddenly shift position or fall off and wrap themselves around the back wheel. (don't tend ... I didn't say never lol) - unless they're dead of course!

Also, the lighter and more quickly steering a bike is, the more unstable it's going to be when loaded. I could tell when I had the laptop and accessories in a bag on the pillion seat of the 'blade due to it moving about in corners and under braking and acceleration. Whereas you could probably stick a fridge on the back of an Electra Glide and not notice!!!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 31/05/2011 11:57  

Could well be taping a sheet all the way around the tail, will just see how strapping to the seat goes on friday. Yeah, fingers crossed none of it tries kamikazi wheel diving, will be making plenty sure it's stable before i go anywhere near any motorways.
Getting close now, yowser!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/06/2011 00:50  

kwak if u need an airbed that will fit in ur inside pocket pm me... its an ultra slim one but will literally fit in ur pocket...and i hav a super tiny snuggly pillow as well that'll fit under ur jacket :-)

Update Reply
mizzi @ 01/06/2011 01:18  

Intriguing lol! It's like a magic trick for travelling bikers! I got my first one and it's gonna get blown up, bounced on and the life squeezed out of it afterwards. And if it doesn't fit back in the bag afterwards - binned lol!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/06/2011 01:25  

pmsl...been there done that! try carrying shitloads the 2 mile trek from parking to camping at v fest... my bro has it sussed thank god so i just give him all my gear these days but my airbed and pillow have served me well...snaffled them in my bike jacket and they're the only things i need besides ear plugs on a camping trip lol.... wear as much as u dare (saves u packing and doesnt get crumpled) and buy what u can when u get there...if it doesnt fit in a rucksack dont take it :-) but most of all bloody enjoy it x

Update Reply
mizzi @ 01/06/2011 01:35  

Ive had a few giggles at reading some of the replies to this post..

How about getting someone to shrink wrap you and your luggage to the bike...lol...

But to be serious, I do wonder how Im going to fit everything on mine.. hmmmm... Need to make a list of what I need first

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/06/2011 02:38  

Tesco have a 'micro' sleeping bag for sale at £11 reduced from £22. I picked one up the other day. Not got it out the bag yet and it probably won't be good quality of course! Thought it may be handy for Summer camps when it's warm at night. No good when it gets chilly at night but have got my winter bag for then (that takes up more room!) They also have small fleece blankets half price at £4

Update Reply
Rattay @ 01/06/2011 08:29  

Mizzi - am intrigued at the ultra tiny airbed that fits in ya pocket...what make is it & how comfy is it? - welcome to BM by the way

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 01/06/2011 08:42  

Here's one! http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/fast-...ir/product Go on, treat yourself! Takes about 30 odd breaths only, to inflate.

Update Reply
Rattay @ 01/06/2011 09:03  

Naughty one, just buy a touring bike lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 01/06/2011 09:57  

thanks Rat - found a Uk website for em - expensive! But are they any good?

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 01/06/2011 11:08  

Yes, very good and only about 50mm thick. It doesn't bottom out even with my weight on it! They stay warm as the bottom silver material insulates against cold. I used mine in Barmouth for the weekend. So, I cannot give a long term view yet but am using it in Spain for a month in July. Up until now I recommend.

Update Reply
Rattay @ 01/06/2011 11:33  

Lol, BJ, good, but can i get my knee down at donington on one .

It is tempting now that you lot have lured me away from my 'same route every sunday morning' run, and i'm having a blast!!
But i love my zx too much at the mo.
Still, if anyone's donating either a zzr1400 or a blackbird then i won't kick a gift horse in the mouth lol!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/06/2011 19:35  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email