MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Loading up a sportsbike for camping..

Loading up a sportsbike for camping.. (3) - Forums [Biker Match] Loading up a sportsbike for camping.. (3) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Loading up a sportsbike for camping..

I have to agree with you on that one, personally I don't like the seating position, feels so out of control, lol but hey we are all different (thank heavens)

Hopefully we have sorted all Graham's problems ... Till he sets off heheheh

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 30/05/2011 15:47  

Big tank bag with bulky but not too heavy items in. Rucksack with bulky 'soft' items in, eg. doss bag, air bed, clothing. You want rucksack to 'sit' on top of tent or whatever on pillion seat if you have to carry it on your shoulders. I usually avoid carrying the rucksack on the shoulders as it hurts my back and have previously bungeed the rucksack on top of luggage on the pillion seat. I have a sports tourer so there's a few more attachment points!

Update Reply
Rattay @ 30/05/2011 15:50  

Just got back from Builth wells on a CBF 600 with renntec rack. I have had a lot more than 2.5kg on mine. I have a 90litre cargo bag from Go Outdoorrs. Cooker, sleeping bag, Mat/airbed, clothes, towel, fleece blanket, kettle, pansand sometimes the tent all go in there. The bag has a strap wich you can clip onto the rack and then its bungees and tie down straps.
I have two mates who I go to rallies with, a lot, they are masters at loading bikes and I have seen one of them load a 1250 Bandit like a haycart!.
As long as you make sure its secure and evenly balanced, you should be ok.
Just dont try to do no-hands, cos the bike will shake its head like a wet spaniel.
Sometimes put the tent in a black bin bag, strapped to cargo bag and use Oxford soft panniers for clothes if travellin two up.
Those renntecs are capable of a lot.

Update Reply
clarkee @ 30/05/2011 17:36  

don't throw old veg at me but you could buy a Road King, I can get loads on the back & the hard panniers hold 17 litres each.

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 30/05/2011 17:54  

17 litres od vodka !!!!, i am looking forward to loading the versys up and see what i can get on it , but some good tips on this thread

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/05/2011 17:57  

That's the answer to my packing problem then and my ability to travel light. I need 17 litres !!

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 30/05/2011 18:16  

Boody and Bobkat! Shame on you! Thought i said no suggestions at getting a different bike lol!
Would be easy option !
Might well wear my camelback from mountain biking, fill that with vodka, should relieve the stress on the way down

As said though, my main problem with this bike is that there's no luggage hooks at all! Still, we thinks we've sorted it now.
And if not, it's tough whatsit because i've been out on the zephyr this aft and it feels like it's about to die lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/05/2011 18:25  

Previously, I've always used soft panniers and a renntec rack, but when I got the ZZR, the tapered tail made it hard to secure everything how I'd like. I finally stumped up and bought Givi hard panniers and a topbox.
Not my idea of stylish on a sports bike, but it does the job, and the mountings rails and plate make good extra securing points for bungeeing tons of crap to the back seat. You'd be amazed what you can fit on a bike if you try hard enough.
Worth a look if you intend to keep the bike a while, do a lot of bike camping and not too image-conscious

Update Reply
Sharky92 @ 30/05/2011 18:51  

Guilty as charged guvner - sorry didn't read that bit oops

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 30/05/2011 19:15  

Sharky - what, buying a zzr1400? Yes please!!
Bobkat - will let you off, just this once next time ve drink all your vodka yah!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/05/2011 19:19  

The 2.5 kilo quoted by rentec is their safety get out clause, they do take far more, I have snapped the side rails and welded solid bar into the tubing. That solved that problem then the 8mm hi/tensile bolts would go, got some specials [kind regards to british rail]. But I suppose something has to give with a regular 30kilo on it.LOL

Update Reply
harry worth @ 30/05/2011 19:40  

Yeah, i don't for a minute think that the rack itself is only capable of carrying 2.5 kgs, the concern i mainly had was the piddly little bolts holding the rear end, and the fact the back end is actually sat on the tail plastics.
Still, what will be will be! Gotta work somehow, either that or post all my gear the week before!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/05/2011 20:49  

Let's be honest here, how much stuff do you actually need on a rally weekend?
Tent ok
Sleeping bag obviously
Air mattress ? Does it matter when you have sunk a good few cans?
Food.:.do a shopping run when you get there.
Beer.....as above.
Cooking kit...are you really going to prep a Gordon bleu mal when there's a burger van or a greggs party available?

Be ruthless, pack light, ride fast...
Graham

Update Reply
GreyGra @ 30/05/2011 22:25  

)Simple as this, you can ruff it or be comfortable....i will be comfortable, VFR with hard panniers and top box then the rest just stacks up on the seat infront of the box add a tank bag and your good for long touring same kit as a weekend rally...minus some clothes and a passport...

But really attach your kit to to any solid point you can find use rags or matting to stop the rubbing, bungees or bungee netting is a versitile bit of kit, it will hold anything on...just lay out your kit neatly look at what you don't really need and get rid, waist of space and fuel.

Pack the bike the day before and test it for a few miles to see if it moves, if it redistribute- more bungees - reposition or all of the above....do not leave until the day of the trip then start pissing about you will be later than late thing...

Prior preparation prevents piss poor performance... nuf said... lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/05/2011 22:44  

i've uploaded a couple of pics on my profile of my bike fully loaded when travelling 2up . suggestion for lack of fixing points , wrap webbing completely round tail unit fix in place with gaffa tape , hook bungees together under tail unit , as long as their tight enough they shouldnt move

Update Reply
fastjock @ 30/05/2011 22:44  

hey, this is a whole week namesake lol! Never used an airbed before, but these old bones aren't getting any younger so thought i'd give it a whiz!
Not taking any food bar a packet of cous cous, no beer, buy when there.
Mmm, stove yep, coden bleu, nooo, but i like my toast in a morning, plus i'm skint lol!
And i don't want people thinking i'm a total scutter wearing the same clothes all week

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/05/2011 22:45  

I cannot sleep on the floor anymore - body won't take it! That is apart from 3 weeks in Spain/Portugal last year where my air bed mysteriously deflated every night. After that I invested in a very expensive micro airbed which is fantastic and takes up no room but it was at a price. You definitely require a bit more comfort in later years, minimalist will no longer suffice i'm afraid, so luggage needs to be carried. There's some great small equipment out there, taking up less room, but as it gets smaller the price gets bigger!

Update Reply
Rattay @ 31/05/2011 09:17  

I understand the problem, my sv is just as bad. Unfortunately the options are carry less or biy a new bike. Use the tips here to get your stuff on and secure but you ain't going to fit a quart in a pint pot.

I've tried!!!!

Graham.

Update Reply
GreyGra @ 31/05/2011 10:56  

Welcome grey :-)

I have to disagree with the SV comment lol , that's what I have n while I agree the lack of fixing points is an issue, it's easily loaded if you know how ;-)

Oxford sports panniers a must, as they really do double in size when on, and get yourself a top box fitment that sits where the pilly seat should be, they are about £30 I think, then you can attach a dry sack to it across the bike with tent, chair etc in it or put a top box on if you want

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 31/05/2011 11:32  

Well he managed to get that post past me, probably due to my general disillusionment with reading stuff on here this weekend. That comment will definitely come back to bite you old man.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 31/05/2011 11:43  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email