MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Weather permitting ???????

Weather permitting ??????? - Forums [Biker Match] Weather permitting ??????? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Weather permitting ???????

Ive seen this phrase on quite a few posts recently ! Is it just me that thinks its pointless & confusing ? what does it mean ? my idea of riding weather is ..... "bike works ...i'll go out" ! other peoples idea may be " i'm in brum & it rained in suffolk last wednesday so stuff it" All the phrase seems to do to me is make it unsure if anyone will turn up at an event or not Eg what is permissable weather ? light rain ? 40 degrees in the shade ? For the record there is no weather i wont & dont ride in if i want to go somewhere but dont feel if its worth the effort if i'm the only one to turn up "cos it was wet" ! Discuss

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/05/2011 23:32  

not everyone is comfortable riding in bad conditions scoob, i think each to there own applies here, i have said the weather permitting comment for the ride out on monday, as i have a brand new bike with only 9 miles on, so i wouldnt think its gonna be a good idea to try and scrub the tyres in in the rain, hence weather permitting !!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/05/2011 23:36  

I'm guilty of using it!
Simply because, if i've got fast blast type of ride out, if it's wet, i'll give it a miss, yep, that might make me a fair weather biker in a way. I see it more as saving myself for a better day! I have ridden 365 days a year in the past, so no newbie to riding in the wet, or ice and snow.
If it's meet up and ride out like whitby last weekend, no problem, still went, and it was peeing down when i left home.
If however, i was out purely to get leant over and through corners as fast as possible, then i'd save it for another day if it was wet.
Just my own personal preferences
So does it have a standard definition for me? Nope! Lol, depends on the situation and type of riding planned

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/05/2011 23:42  

Understood on a brand new unfamiliar bike ian In most cases it seems to imply that the event is only happening in blazing sunshine, how do i know wether to make the effort or not ? do i get mildly moist & be the only one there or miss out if i dont go & people turn up in a little rain ?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/05/2011 23:43  

Be great if that was the case! Dry roads, sticky tyres, no deer lol!
Maybe in the next life pmsl!
Just a case of keeping in touch with whoever's s'posed to be going and seeing how everyone else feels regarding turning up whateva the wevva!
Would be surprised if the hardcore on here were scared of being a little soggy!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/05/2011 23:53  

I ride 365 days a year,cant see the point in paying all that insurance and road tax for the thing to be stuck in the garage for six months.

Update Reply
pondlife @ 27/05/2011 04:39  

Which is why i bought my zephyr to got out on when it's orrible!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/05/2011 07:25  

its ok to go out everyday in all weathers fair play, BUT some of us have responsilbilties like kids etc, its not easy, plus i will be honest after a day of opening a safe all day , come home, its PI**ing down, the last thing i am gonna do is think oooh lets get out on the bike, i would rather save it for a better day, plus i cant afford the money to fuel my bike to go out most days in all weather, hence i would rather save my money for a god day and enjoy the day 100 %

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/05/2011 08:00  

My sentiments exactly Ian. Funds sadly aren't unending, i've been out days in pouring rain and wondered to myself why am i wasting 20 quids worth of fuel not enjoying myself. Should have saved it and gone out another time when it was better conditions. At the end of the day, each to their own!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/05/2011 10:20  

My version of weather permitting, is if its lashing down forget it, if its spitting then go for it, risk of showers go for it, mega wind forget it lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 27/05/2011 10:31  

Well I don't mind getting wet and have riden all weathers in the past 365. Thing is now being a single parent, as Ian says, put's a different perspective on things.

Also if I have a pilly then I take their wishes into consideration too! I have no problem riding when wet and just adjust my riding to the conditions but my off last year was due to diesel and 'moist' roads. Nothing to do with my riding or anyone else and it certainly makes you more cautious in these conditions.

As long as there is a hot cup of tea at the end of it, I don't really mind!!

Update Reply
RobL @ 27/05/2011 11:12  

I think you all got the wrong idea of what i was asking i dont care what weather you will ride in if i'm honest

The point was should anyone bother turning up to a meet if theres a chance of rain etc ? .... why put weather permitting in a post or thread ? to my mind either you are going somewhere or you aint !

Putting problems like a spot of rain in the way of having a laugh is just pointless imho !

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/05/2011 13:35  

can only speak for myself, but if its something i am organising then i check weather day before and post final decision then, which gives folk chance to decide for themselves, if we turn up and the weather man got it wrong then its a case of hey ho ......... were gonna get wet lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 27/05/2011 13:38  

No such thing as bad weather, only the wrong choice of clothing.

Update Reply
Slowthing @ 27/05/2011 13:56  

well i dont mind being called a fair weather rider, but i have done my miles on a 125 in october from wilmslow to leicester when i was 17, to see the mrs, and back home the next day, but now if it hammering it down why would i wanna go out , we have these things called mobile phones to communicate these days !!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/05/2011 14:21  

I used to ride to work 30 miles each way, all year round. Gloves would go in the crew room microwave to help dry them out.

I would lie awake at night thinking up different ways to try and keep warm and dry during the Winter. Then I had a eureka moment and passed my car test.

Update Reply
Slowthing @ 27/05/2011 14:26  

Went out with the RoSPA lot a few weeks ago and it absolutely belted it down!! Still had a good ride though.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 27/05/2011 15:05  

Short of snow and ice all weather is good biking weather in this country and come to think of it now I'm on 3 wheels snow and ice is OK :)

Update Reply
Gloom @ 27/05/2011 15:19  

I suppose its just the fair weather riders that post, weather permitting. Or they don't want to get there bike dirty.
I don't mind the rain, get a bit of heat in the tyres, it doesn't slow me down much. Its just a different challenge

Update Reply
acrazybiker @ 27/05/2011 21:34  

isnt biking all about what we ride, when we ride etc, like i said on a previous post, if i have been working all day, come home and its throwing it down, then NO i dont wanna go out, if thats a fair weather rider then yes thats me !!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/05/2011 21:38  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email