MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle Events & Rides Out

Ride Out - May 30th Bank Holiday Monday

Ride Out - May 30th Bank Holiday Monday - Forums [Biker Match] Ride Out - May 30th Bank Holiday Monday - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle Events & Rides Out /

Ride Out - May 30th Bank Holiday Monday

Five Counties in one day Please note that this ride out is not for the faint hearted. It is a long, fast, hard days ride out, but well worth all the aches the next day! <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p> I did this ride out last year – okay so we got lost a couple of times but it added to the fun. <o:p> </o:p> Mileage is 320+ <o:p> </o:p> This is a trip across <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">England</st1:place></st1:country-region>’s shoulders, a rollercoaster ride over old Pennine drover’s tracks and a genuinely wild countryside. Four counties can be visited in just over an hour by motorcycle on this route; <st1:country-region w:st="on">Cumbria</st1:country-region>, <st1:country-region w:st="on">Northumbria</st1:country-region>, <st1:City w:st="on">Durham</st1:City> and <st1:place w:st="on">Yorkshire</st1:place>… <o:p> </o:p> The RouteWe start from the outskirts of Preston (PR5 my house) <st1:place w:st="on">Lancashire</st1:place>, heading onto the A59, taking a left on to the back roads to Sawley on to Rathmell. We cut across the A65 to Settle for a quick fuel stop/comfort break/meeting point, before heading on to Hawes. From Hawes, heading towards Brough passing through Kirkby Stephen (B6259 onto A685). At Brough onto the B6276 – open roads and very scenic, passing Selset and Grassholme Resevoirs to Middleton in Teesdale. From there going back along the High Street taking the left fork onto the B6277, which is signed for Alston. The road rises gradually, tree lined at first, then onto open moors once more. Stunning scenery surrounds you during the last 10 miles or so to Alston - this route really is a tour across some of <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">England</st1:place></st1:country-region>’s wild open spaces. From Alston we now do a loop-de-loop – taking the A686/B6305, the terrain gets more undulating, tree-lined much of the way, to Hexham, then the B6306 to Blanchland, moving upwards on the B6278, switchbacking onto the moors - watch for some hairpins - and eventually catching a glimpse of the Derwent Reservoir on the left. It’s a narrow road in places, and there’s the odd wandering sheep to contend with. The road drops down into the small <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:PlaceType w:st="on">village</st1:PlaceType> of <st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Stanhope</st1:PlaceName></st1:place>. From Stanhope, we can either do the B6277 again or take the A689 back to Alston, stopping at Hartside Café. Then we head home – A686 towards Penrith, picking up the A6 to Kendal via Shap. The A6 southbound is one of my favourite roads – fast with long sweeping corners and not many cars. From Kendal we take the A65 to Kirkby Lonsdale stopping for a comfort break at Devils Bridge. From there it’s the A65 back to Rathmell, Sawley, A59 back to <st1:place w:st="on">Preston</st1:place>. <o:p> </o:p> PitstopsHartside Cafe is a known haunt the (at 2,000 feet above sea level) attracting many bikers on a sunny Sunday. Great food, very fair prices and absolutely amazing views all the way across the Solway to <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Scotland</st1:place></st1:country-region>. We’ll probably stop in Middleton as we’ve found a biker friendly café. <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Devils</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Bridge</st1:PlaceType></st1:place> for a brew and to stretch legs. As and when for photo shoots. <o:p> </o:p> <o:p>If you're interested, hands up please . . .any questions, please pm me </o:p> <o:p> </o:p>

Update Reply
DaftUn @ 15/05/2011 22:26  

Typical, more expense temptation before my cornwall trip lol!
Sounds like my sorta trip though, especially if it's a faster than bimble out lol.
Could well be up for this, finances permitting. Either meet you at yours or devils bridge.
Failing that - fuel on credit card lol, life's for living after all

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/05/2011 22:32  

Please Miss can i come (waving hand in air enthusiastically)
Though seeing as you will be on my pillion seat i suppose i better had come along lol.
Am i going blind, i can't see the words, or is it just me?

Update Reply
acrazybiker @ 15/05/2011 22:32  

@kwak - yep - life is for living! go for it! :) and yes, this will not be a 'bimble'. Get that credit card flashed . . . I'll provide cake to save on pennies. @ACB - I've edited the post - hopefully you can see it now Good to see an instant interest . . .

Update Reply
DaftUn @ 15/05/2011 22:42  

Tentative.

Sounds like a blast.

Update Reply
StaticNoir @ 15/05/2011 23:09  

might be up for this

Update Reply
firebladejohn @ 15/05/2011 23:38  

Weather permitting i'll deffo be doing it, especially as there's cake! Cheers

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/05/2011 07:14  

I might be up for this too knee sliders at the ready if its a fast run then

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/05/2011 08:54  

Sounds like a good run, hope you all have a great time, sorry we won't be able to make this one

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 16/05/2011 09:22  

might b up for this 1 too looks like the bandit will have to make do wi 6mth tax . what time you planning to set off ?

Update Reply
fastjock @ 16/05/2011 19:23  

@ Fastjock - I need to sit down and work the timings out - will get back to you, but would imagine leaving mine 10am ish. Would be good to see you again - we could meet you in Hawes?

Update Reply
DaftUn @ 16/05/2011 20:52  

May be able to meet you in Settle depending on timings. I like big days out :)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/05/2011 21:51  

Hawes will b good meet point - Penny Garth ? need to b steady riding round Hawes area , plod will no doubt b out in force , specially between Settle/Hawes n Leyburn/Hawes

Update Reply
fastjock @ 16/05/2011 21:52  

@Fastjock - here's a rough guide to where and when . . .
set off from mine at 10am - Leave Hawes for say 11.15am Hartside Cafe for coffee/comfort break, 12.30pm I think it'll take about 2.5 hours then to do the 'loop' back to Hartside Cafe. Then it's 2.5 hours home plus a break at Devils Bridge

Update Reply
DaftUn @ 16/05/2011 21:55  

Bump... Contenders so far: DaftUn Acrazybiker Kwakarider StaticNoir Firebladejohn Clinton Fastjock Pumpkin Anyone else?

Update Reply
DaftUn @ 21/05/2011 08:01  

i better get my tyre warmers ready for this one

Update Reply
firebladejohn @ 21/05/2011 20:29  

and my go faster leathers

Update Reply
firebladejohn @ 22/05/2011 00:52  

maybe up for this just got 2 leave enough pennies for the tt the following week and some beer tokens lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/05/2011 17:50  

may of considered this but new bike will be being ran in, which restricts me to aroung 60-70mph tops, so best leave it, sounds great though

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/05/2011 18:00  

i might be free for this one too

Update Reply
Pilly tart @ 22/05/2011 18:22  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email