MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

touring

touring (3) - Forums [Biker Match] touring (3) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

touring

Cheers for the blackbird info all, tis definitely a 'one day' bike.
Unless of course i come into some cash, then the spider eyed zzr1400 would win - it's a kwak, what can i say lol
Oh, and it looks the dogs danglies!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/05/2011 22:49  

Well Kwak ive had my Blacbird 11 yrs now n keepin it. Maybe not the best at anything but the best at everything. Honda should of updated that instead of the VFR but heyho. Before the Blackbird i had a ZZR1100 brilliant too, both cheapish to buy now 2nd hand. Treet yasell.

Update Reply
skill @ 01/06/2011 18:26  

BMW F650 GS DAKAR any bmw really,look on adventure rider at peoples rides,also are you going to explore off the beaten track if so small and light,a good allrounder F800GS

Update Reply
sumodwarf @ 01/06/2011 20:55  

Yeah, but plan on buying an enduro bike next year to do that.
Shouldn't we all have double garages and at least 3 or 4 bikes lol.
Keep the zx6r
Blackbird for touring n camping
XR400 for dirty days
Mebbe a harley of some sort
And the mighty zephyr (after a LOT of fettling lol!)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/06/2011 23:08  

hi everyone , what is the most comfortable sports bike you have been on , even after doing over 100 miles with out stopping..............cheers

Update Reply
firebladejohn @ 04/06/2011 01:50  

Erm, tricky question
Not a sports bike in the looks dept, but will keep up with one easy is my Beemer K1200r, 150 miles per tank, comfortable riding position and loads and loads of power and torque.
Will cruise at a ton all day without breaking sweat. Even has a shaft drive so no maint either.

Update Reply
SPESH @ 04/06/2011 11:50  

Hi john, the most comfy for me was my 955i, but its case of what suits physically, and we are all different shapes

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/06/2011 20:02  

For me the best reasonably quick, if a bit heavy tourer, is the ST1300A. Good tank range, I get 240 ish going like a loon on twisties before needing to stop for a break. Good luggage, and handling, for something this heavy, and the riders seat is height adjustable. Its well capable of grinding its pegs, but can shake its head on landings and over-banding, its also heavy on the nose and can get through a dual compound front in just over 1k!. The most comfortable I've had is the R1150RT, but fitted with a service 'comfort seat',.. a couple of inches wider than than the stock one, again its height adjustable. The stoppers are better than the ST, but its not got the power, and the side-stand is too short. The tank range is a bit naff too, and the panniers arn't as good as the Pan's either, with the locks been hopeless,.. a bit like the dealers.

Update Reply
Paj1369 @ 04/06/2011 21:09  

Still cant understand how the hell you get through a front tyre in 1k .... never heard of it and I mentioned it to a couple of mates of mine who have pans, one a 1100 and the other a 1300.

They just shook their heads and went "how? there must be something wrong with the the suspension or tyre pressures".

The guy with the 1300 has scraped the plastic fins to hell going round corners though .... nutter!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/06/2011 10:08  

1000 miles and your front tyre is done....surely a defective tyre ????

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/06/2011 11:12  

Going back to the start of this thread my most comfortable bike for long rides has been the CX500. Neither the XJ900 or the Pan1100 were anywhere near as comfortable. All could probably be improved with new seating. I have friends that swear by sheepskin stretched over their seats who also have tried the gel seats and do not rate the gel seats as, as good. There last sheepskin was bought from a petshop, sold as a dog mat, for the princely sum of around £4 !!

Update Reply
Rattay @ 05/06/2011 12:25  

My most comforable tourer by far was the Triumph Trophy 900. Fully faired, with nice touring screen means you stay wind and vertually rain free. The torque of the triple engine is great, just over 200 miles to a tank, and contrary to reviews i'd read before buying it, it CAN, with a bit of practise, keep up with most things in the bends. On the down side, it is very top heavy, so you add a pilly, full luggage, and a full tank of fuel and slow manouvering can be quite tricky. . . . trying to think of any more down sides, but unless im looking back on it just remembering the good times, thats about it! The last one was built around 2001, so for the 900 or 1200 you will be looking at at least a 10 year old bike, but if its been looked after, so what?! I Forgot . . . another good thing is the physical size of the bike, loads of room = more comfort 2 up. . . I am 6ft1 and 14 stone, so you can see how big the 900 is from my profile picture <<<<<

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/06/2011 13:01  

You seem to have a large grudge against honda shell, what's to do? Watching this with interest, as I'm thinking of swopping the zx6r for something a little comfier and with a bit more touring ability, but still with some oomph and scratching ability. 2000 ish ZX9R?

Good choice the 9 after a 6 massive difference in comfort levels, if I ride tidy I get 50 to the gallon, thats over 170 to the tank. Pillion seat on the E model is a bit more comfy than the F model if that is important.

Update Reply
wheelbarrow @ 05/06/2011 16:05  

Only done one run of 200 miles+ on the XVS but found it easier than the XJ900 due to weight difference but will find out at the end off the month just how much more comfortable it is as doing France and Spain for two weeks.

Update Reply
bbbent @ 05/06/2011 16:15  

Watch this video of a sports tourer! I was on the'Dragon' the day this was filmed. It was during the Honda Hoot event in Knoxville http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

Update Reply
shooter @ 09/06/2011 20:19  

Best sports tourer is my bike...bmw k1200rs.......up to aviemore most years 400 miles with one stop 8 hours taking it steady...fresh as a daisy after a pint at other end

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/06/2011 20:34  

my old FJ was quite a tool for touring, and didn't hang about either. If you are constantly on the road, pays to have a shaft though.

Update Reply
cruiser mic @ 09/06/2011 20:42  

You cant beat a big shaft

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/06/2011 20:47  

'You cant beat a big shaft' But you can have a damn good try!

Update Reply
shooter @ 09/06/2011 21:59  

Bbent, the xvs650 in my profile pic has been used for touring all over, did 9,000 miles in 18 days, all backroads of the USA and ridden through Europe. Provide you can get the seat, handlebar and footpeg position set up for your comfort, you can make any bike great for long trips.

Update Reply
shooter @ 09/06/2011 22:03  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email