MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

honda cb 450 dx

honda cb 450 dx - Forums [Biker Match] honda cb 450 dx - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

honda cb 450 dx

has anyone ever had problems with the float settings or fuel levels on the carbs on a cb 450 dx . spark plugs keep sooting up. the floats have no adjustment on them. is this a common problem on the cb hondas late eightys models....... cheers

Update Reply
firebladejohn @ 12/04/2011 02:14  

The length of time this post has been here without reply says it all about this model of bike. I have one which is now knackered and getting any info or a workshop manual is almost impossible. All I can say is that I never had any fuel or carb problems with mine when it was on the road.

Update Reply
Simon66 @ 27/07/2011 01:13  

hi simon66 did you ever have problems with the ignition system on the dx ie coil , cdi unit , generator . im getting an irratic spark on the bike , have done all the checks . bought new spark plugs .....cheers

Update Reply
firebladejohn @ 27/07/2011 01:51  

any chance it could be the needle (s) in the carbs? if they're worn and causing slight overfuelling maybe?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/07/2011 01:56  

<!--6e052d28b1806771e2d163a041d4a5d4-->This might help with getting a manual for it, have a read http://hondacb450dx.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-to-get-wor...50-dx.html

Update Reply
wheelbarrow @ 27/07/2011 03:28  

Hi Firebladejohn, I had no probs of any sort until I went down the M11 at 80 mph with no oil in the sump - seld inflicted really; lol. Up until then it ran like a dream ( no pun intended ).

Update Reply
Simon66 @ 31/07/2011 03:17  

Easiest way to check float level is to attatch a peice of clear tube to the drain nipple under the float bowl then hold it up the side of the carb . To adjust float level you bend the arm that holds it .

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 31/07/2011 19:12  

hi again every1, put brand new plugs and coil on got a very good blue spark on both plugs , but the spark is erratic it dosent stay dead centre of the plugs ..................could it be a bad earth wire on the generater . what could cause this problem ...................cheers

Update Reply
firebladejohn @ 01/08/2011 21:35  

Have you set the gaps correctly ?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/08/2011 23:06  

brand new pre set spark plugs

Update Reply
firebladejohn @ 03/08/2011 19:27  

Well its normal for it to move about the electrode a bit .If the spark is strong and constant its good . Think lightning never strikes the same place twice . Ride it for a bit then check the state of the plugs in a week see how they doing . If they are still sooting up it probably a fueling/air issue .

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/08/2011 02:11  

hi again every1 , theres no adjustment on the floats they are in good condition ive done the clear tube test the levels are at least a cm to high is there any other way of getting the float levels down

Update Reply
firebladejohn @ 31/08/2011 00:59  

should be able to bend the arm to wich the neddle sits thats the usual way of adjusting float levels .
if it sooting up then surlely that sugests its running rich
worn jets / needle could corse this
or blocked or badly adjusted air screew back it out half a turn and try that , allso make sure the air filter is clean as that will make it suck more fuel through the carb due to restricted intake flow .
even a blocked exhurst pipe or baffle will cause an engines to run rich so dont just concentrate on the carb check other side of things too !
good luck

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 31/08/2011 17:18  

hi every1 the cb 450 runs a lot better with no air filter in , mixture screw backed off and with the choke fully on( the back plates completely shut ) . ............ is it possible for the engine to be down on compression and its not drawing enough fuel through the carbs thus sooting the plugs

Update Reply
firebladejohn @ 02/10/2011 21:49  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email