MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Is it just me?

Is it just me? (4) - Forums [Biker Match] Is it just me? (4) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Is it just me?

Read all the way through this thread and want to second axomoxia`s comments. The French cop`s have got it. If you dont want hurt on a bike staying on is no.1. Yes, scooter riders are as senseless as the yamaha fs1e riders when we were young. 30 years from now they`l be wearing protection on there bike, just like most of us. Thats if the death toll of invincible,leather clad suedo racers has`nt brought a complete ban by then.

Update Reply
erchee @ 29/03/2011 18:59  

having (re) read this thread from start to finnish again, it`s always going to be hotly discussed! i used to be totally anti- wearing anything less than total protection was just stupid. however, i ride to work (3 miles, 30 limit) on either bike or push bike, at aproximatly the same speed, leathers n full kit on bike, shorts on push bike, am i wrong? also traveling in spain/italy/ hot europe, BEFORE i getonto bike if i`m in full kit, i just cannot function, let alone ride the bike, i used to just get going and try to cool down, riding fast enough to do so, whilst unable to think properly? now i`ve tempered my view somewhat, mixing thick leathers/cordura winter times, vented full leathers spring,autum warm summers, thinner less armoured looser leathers, shorter gloves, shorter lighter boots hot sunny days /hols. seen lots of "aftermath" through work, what gets my goat is power ranger on bike with pillion with hardly any protective kit? why? do they not like the girl (boy)? if they need kit does the pilli not need (at least) the same level of protection? i have a set of leathers /boots/gloves /helmet for pilli`s just in case any girls have some comunity service they have to work off, and have to be seen in the company of an ugly old brocken bike riding grumpy man.

Update Reply
oldyeti @ 29/03/2011 20:57  

It is luck off the draw at the end of the day ive come off bikes doing daft things with just jeans and leather jacket on and not got hurt , but then ive also lost a good mate who was wearing full leather suit ! . so its down to persnal choice and how you ride really i tend to wear full kit if going for a long run but jeans if its short ride i leave the shorts and T shirt's for when im in Florida but im normalyin a hire car so it dosent count really !

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 29/03/2011 21:56  

What i don't like about topics like this in forums is that some folk think that just because you don't conform to there view you must be a moron, a lesser person than them.
I thought all bikers stick together, but we are more divided than ever.
I ride a sports bike fast and when i do i wear full kit. Take a look how many folk hate me for doing so.
In Spain on a Harley, (hired) i wore jeans, light weight jacket and gloves, boots but not bike boots. Some hate me for that.
PS they must also hate Spanish riders coz that is what most of them wear.
So no matter what i wear, ride some body hates me lol.

Update Reply
acrazybiker @ 29/03/2011 22:35  

From the photos on this thread I'd guess that most of us that choose to use protection do so because we are mature and have accumulated wisdom. Those that make the wrong (from our point of view) choices clearly haven't.
This problem is not limited to bikers; while hillwalking and caving I have met people clearly not prepared or equipped for what they were doing. Memorably, while descending from 'bagging a Munro' I met a young lady wearing a bikini and trainers on her way up the mountain. Her companion was wearing a vest, shorts and trainers. Their supplies and equipment appeared to be a small bottle of coke and twenty embassy. It was a sunny day, warm at sea level but on the tops there was a cold wind and laying snow. I wanted to berate them for their stupidity but they were adults and should make their own decisions.
I think it has to be that way because once we let 'them' compel us to do things 'for our own good' where does it stop? Will they ban bikes entirely, will I have to pass exams, carry approved safety equipment and submit a risk assessment before I'm allowed in the hills? What about other stuff that may not be completely safe; drinking, horse riding, hang-gliding...
I also suspect that for a large percentage of the 'born again' crotch-rocket riders in their power ranger outfits bikes are toys that they bought because their mate got one and the attraction soon wears off. I was staggered when I bought my latest bike to find dealers full of 1 or 2 year old bikes with less than 3000 miles on the clock.

Update Reply
ItsMrToYouSonny @ 29/03/2011 22:44  

I have put a stone on and had to put a belt on to hold up my bike pants last weekend , wasn't tempted to say 'sod it' and wear my comfy jeans, am desperately looking for a new pair now

Update Reply
anneka56 @ 29/03/2011 22:59  

Each to their own. Everyone's choice (so far) before the biker gear police come into force. Do whatever you want and take the consequences of your own actions .....

Update Reply
suzyamki @ 29/03/2011 23:48  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email