MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

it aint always fun

it aint always fun - Forums [Biker Match] it aint always fun - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

it aint always fun

Hello all, this story is a big shock to me, i met her when i toured New Zealand last month, A lovely lady, she contacted me through the kiwi biker site ( a bit like this site ) she put me up for a night, wined and dined me, she wanted to start motorcycle racing and was a very competant rider, and recently she just got her dream bike, R6, so its just a wee reminder guys and gals, take it easy, it aint always fun CHRIS SKELTON/ The Dominion Post ON THE MEND: Katie-Jane Bowen in Wellington Hospital yesterday after her motorcycle accident. She is expected to make a full recovery and is keen to get back on her bike. Facebook 'BIKING IS MY LIFE': Katie-Jane Bowen testing her new 600cc Yamaha. Relevant offers <!--start components/story/common_content--> When a motorbike crash left Katie-Jane Bowen with a broken and bloody body, her only lifeline was a cellphone running low on power. Miss Bowen, 26, has spoken from hospital about how she guided help towards her, during a dramatic 2½-hour rescue. She had owned her new 600cc Yamaha for a just few days when she came to grief in Wairarapa on Sunday night. She crashed on a sharp bend, flew down a three-metre bank, and ended up against a barbed-wire fence, suffering a broken neck and back, and a deep gash on her leg. "I was so looking forward to riding it, but all of a sudden I was lying in a ditch. All I could see was two water tanks," she said. Completely lost, she managed to call for help. The call sparked a search involving police, fire crews, ambulance and the Westpac rescue helicopter. Emergency services took turns switching on their sirens to see if Miss Bowen could hear them. "They would seem to get closer and I'd be so excited, but then they'd seem further away. I was pretty relaxed, but it was such a tease." She talked to ambulance staff on her phone, then by text, as her battery ran low. When she was finally found by the fire service, she had just one bar of power left. "All of a sudden help was everywhere. I remember saying, 'You've made my day."' Despite the pain of her injuries, Miss Bowen wanted to thank her rescuers, including friends Matt, Carla and Simone, police, firefighters, Wellington Free Ambulance and the Westpac rescue helicopter. An ambulance operator called her parents, Graeme and Sue Bowen, in Auckland, with an update every 15 minutes. "We were blown away, they were all absolutely incredible," Mr Bowen said yesterday at Wellington Hospital. Miss Bowen, from Upper Hutt, is expected to make a full recovery – and is keen to get back on her new bike. "It hasn't put me off. I really want to find out what happened, so I can avoid it happening again. Biking is my life, I've met so many wonderful friends, I'd feel so empty if I wasn't part of the scene." Her mother wasn't so keen on the biking. "But she's almost 27. We're lucky to still have her, we feel very blessed."

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/03/2011 23:47  

good post brumax wants to be in the active posts this one

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 25/03/2011 13:23  

hi WN. tried to put it in active, but only succeeded in duplicating it, cheers

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/03/2011 16:18  

OMG poor lass i hope she mends really well, and rides soon.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/03/2011 16:27  

Brum sorted for you :)

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 25/03/2011 16:42  

Cheers bj

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/03/2011 16:52  

Makes me think of last year with mitche 1st ride out on her new bike we have to be thankful there still with us but must be scary being alone after just hoping thay find you

Update Reply
JP @ 25/03/2011 17:15  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email