MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Handle Bars - Road King

Handle Bars - Road King - Forums [Biker Match] Handle Bars - Road King - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Handle Bars - Road King

Hi there, I am looking for some advice. I recently traded in my HD Street Bob which had ape hanger type bars, not massively high, for a Road King that has standard bars. I am finding that I have to lean down and my shoulders are achy. I really don't know much about what can be done to alleviate the situation . I would be grateful of any advice or suggestions - don't mind the odd tractor joke either

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 03/03/2011 11:42  

Bars from an Ultra should sort you Kat. Bit higher and narrower that what you have at min. PM me your reg No or tell me the 5th, 6th, and 10th digit of your VIN and I’ll identify your bike correctly for options. You may need longer brake hose & clutch cable though. Is yours 'fly by wire' throttle? Although your vin will tell me that.

Update Reply
GreasyTony @ 03/03/2011 13:30  

Mate of mine got one a few years ago Bobkat,eventually, adjusted the bars in the risers and the switch housings after getting achy wrists and arms,just thought it worth a try before forking out.I did it with the buckhorns origionally on the fxr and with the sport bars now on,just messed with them to get the best position for me instead of the shop settings Howsitgoan Tony.Alright mate

Update Reply
fxr swas @ 05/03/2011 11:36  

Thanks fxr, a few folk have suggested trying risers. One thing for sure is that a helluva lot of people seem to have had the same problem. I was used to mini apehangers, think that is part of the issue as well. Cheers

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 07/03/2011 00:08  

stretch ya arms bobs lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/03/2011 00:12  

Kate ... Risers make a hell of a difference IMO

I have an SV650sport (I know nothing like yours but same problems) and had loads of problems with my wrists and shoulders, not helped by the fact I broke my right wrist several years ago, and tore the rotator cuff muscles in my right shoulder 3 years ago, got risers, that were a simple case of yolk off bars out, risers in, leavers on new bars yolk back on, no new cables were needed for me and it's all GOOD! even tho the rise is only an inch and half up and 3/4 inch in.

Still hurts my back if I am doing 400+ miles in a day but now I can go out and do a days ride out without my shoulders and wrists hurting, will be sorry to see my bike go when I change it.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 07/03/2011 06:08  

Thanks Shell, I am going to try risers first huni, would be silly not to. The bars to change is going to cost a fortune because I need to put it into the dealers. What has been great, is advise I have had from the members on the site - this is better than any club

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 13/03/2011 12:44  

pressups, loads o them

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 13/03/2011 17:40  

Ian what will I stretch them round?

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 15/03/2011 17:50  

Brumax press ups be great for the bingo wings but won't help me reach the bars lol.

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 15/03/2011 17:56  

bingo wings, is that another harley term ?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/03/2011 20:46  

wish it was ..................

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 16/03/2011 17:44  

LOL .. so do I Kat ... (no offence to Harley riders) if they were I would not have em lol

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 16/03/2011 17:53  

i know a lady who goes to bingo,
should i ask her if she has wings

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/03/2011 18:25  

Shell if I thought getting rid of the Harley would get rid of the bingo wings................................whoosh and it's gone - hello Kawa VN1500

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 16/03/2011 18:26  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email