MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Biking and Photography

Biking and Photography - Forums [Biker Match] Biking and Photography - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Biking and Photography

Hello guys and gals :)

I know that you are all in to biking of sorts, otherwise why would you be a member of this site, but i wonder how many of you are in to photography as well (not just taking pictures when your out and about or with mates).

I've been really getting in to photography over the last few months and love it. I found that it works well with biking as well, thats what i went out and did today, got on my bike and went out and took scenic, Macro, etc. shots while at the same time enjoying riding my bike.

To me it's a great combo :)

Just thought I would ask and see what others think of this and also how you go about carrying your gear on your bike

Adz

Update Reply
ace_morgan @ 28/02/2011 00:39  

Hi Adz

I am about to start it as a serious hobby I have a lil point n shoot that's a good one at the moment and have managed some really good shots with it, saving for a canon 550D with a few lenses to start me off

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 28/02/2011 06:58  

Its been a fairly serious hobby for quite a few years now.Had all my stuff nicked some time ago and although the insurance replaced most of it,camera bodies,lenses etc.I'm still building my collection of filters and things back up. I've done a couple of mates' weddings which was satisfying but I don't think I'd want to make a living out of it,it's a very cut throat business for a start and also quite a responsibility to get it right. It took me a while to come round to the idea of digital but I took the plunge and bought a Pentax ist which was compatible with all my existing lenses and I'm really glad I did,a fairly decent printer can knock out some nice prints butr the best thing is you can download files to a dvd so no more negatives to get lost or damaged.

Update Reply
pondlife @ 28/02/2011 07:20  

Well Adz I may not have taken any photos of state events or got all the equipment a pro photographer may have but I still class my photos, taken with my little digi cam, as 'photography' and not too bad even if I do say so myself, take a look in my folders. 'My Photography' 'Cornwall 2010' 'Holiday Snaps' and 'Garden'

Update Reply
Sandi @ 01/03/2011 00:33  

im using a canon 450 , i use it with a gorilla pod on the handle bars , and use the remote to take pics while riding ...lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/03/2011 19:44  

To be fair Sandi, you can use any camera to take nice pic's and use it for photography, I guess it's just how far you want to take it and what you want to do with the photography.

Im using a Canon 500D SLR, the remote is a great thing to have though can't say iv thought about taking while on the move lol Could be something to try at a later date :P

Update Reply
ace_morgan @ 02/03/2011 00:57  

On the move whilst your riding ... Interesting! I have taken pics pilly

I have one pic that I love for it's effect tho, last year Ian and I went to France, we had gone out one day and I was pilly so I was taking pics as we went past places, we went down a road that went through woods and I took a pic, the road is in focus and looks like it's standing still but the trees either side are blured from movement,

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 02/03/2011 03:10  

I always think that the "spur of the moment"or candid shots can be better than the composed ones,you can over-complicate things at times. I've just recently combined photography with my other hobby of astronomy.Theres a bit of kit called a T2 adaptor which allows you to attach your camera to a telescope,in effect turning the telescope into a lens.Got some stunning shots of the Moon and some nice ones of Saturn although it's going to take some practice,another advantage of digital,no wasted film!

Update Reply
pondlife @ 02/03/2011 05:09  

I have a few favorite shots and they are my more simple shots that iv taken, such as close up's of a flower or like SV a moving shot where the road is looks still and the trees are blurred. Also took a picture recently at dusk and the colours are so amazing, deep reds, pinks, etc. with a tint of blue.

Pondlife, I too enjoy astronomy, have since I was young, i would love to own my own telescope but to get a half decent one costs quite a lot. Someday though i will get one wit the adapter and take some astro shots.

Do you have any of your shots online? Iv been uploading some of my photography shots to my facebook account (my practice ones anyway, which while im learning and improving is most of them lol)

Update Reply
ace_morgan @ 02/03/2011 11:22  

A decent telescope needn't cost a fortune,you can pick them up for under £50 and of course,just looking doesn't cost a penny,the greatest free show on earth! I haven't put any online yet but I will do when I get the time

Update Reply
pondlife @ 02/03/2011 13:35  

ive been taking photos for many years ,,i was the photographer for my ex husbands band,,, my camera is a fujica SLR,, its been all over with me,, got some amazing shots of wildlife on jersey with it.

Update Reply
Boodyblues @ 03/03/2011 12:05  

Come on Photographer nice to have input from a Pro, on best cameras for action shots on bikes etc: I have been playing with biker video gadgets, and hope to use em on 1/4 mile strip at Bulldog this summer. Speaking of which eclipsephotos.co.uk took photos of me at the Bulldog on friday 2010 set of pictures 6 and frames 7 and 8 The Blue X11 for those interested. I went down the the dragstrip almost sideways for first 100yds due to cold tarmac,and they wanted to charge me £10 for a 9"x 5" photo.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/03/2011 11:24  

its a hobby for me too, and goes great with biking. See my Europe tour in the events calendar (find it via my profile \ photos \ tags)

Update Reply
Matt @ 04/03/2011 16:02  

Yip another happy snapper here as well. I have the D-SLR but I am leaning towards the point and shoot more and more often. I use my wee Canon S90 all the time - dont leave home without it!!

Would love to get a range finder camera or maybe the new point and shoot such as the Olympus EP1 et al.

I am just loving the convenience of the small, compact point and shoots.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/03/2011 06:59  

got to agree with that,it's all very well if you are going out specifically to take pictures but just on a day out a compact does the job just fine

Update Reply
pondlife @ 05/03/2011 11:02  

Was a lovely day for riding and picture taking today :)

Nights out and that, small compacts do the job fine but always nice to have the option of a DSLR :) Especially if you are going to do some touring

Update Reply
ace_morgan @ 08/03/2011 02:23  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email