MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Panniers and tank bags

Panniers and tank bags - Forums [Biker Match] Panniers and tank bags - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Panniers and tank bags

I'm doing a good few weekend rallies this year and also I'm doing a month touring and camping in North Spain and North Portugal. I want to buy some throwover panniers that will hold quite a bit of gear, can anyone suggest a sensible size and decent make? It's for my naked 94 Trident. I will be putting the tent and some other stuff across the pillion seat which worked well last year but the throwovers I used were borrowed and not too brill. I also want a fair sized magnetic tank bag any suggestions on capacity without going too top heavy and makes? Lastly I want to buy second hand if feasable, ebay for instance as I'm hoping to spend about £100 on the two items. Am I being optimistic, or would you splash out and go for new?

Update Reply
Rattay @ 19/02/2011 11:21  

TBH you get what you pay for, and you aint gonna get a lot for a £100,

i invested in a Baglux tank cover and bag brilliant, had them over ten years now, and they are still going strong,

bought a set of Diablo panniers second hand, was a bit unsure as i had never heard of the make, until i saw the quality of them.

Update Reply
marsey @ 19/02/2011 22:19  

Yes you can ... I got a set of Oxford sport throw over panniers, lifetime guarantee off eBay

They do 2 sport types, the ones I have unzip all the way round to expand and almost double thier size, so always ask the seller if the ones that are being sold expand all the way round or just top a d sides ... I paid £40 for a £130 pannier set.

Just looked in eBay you will need to ask but these look like my set (mine are silver) so ask. The way to tell usually is that one of the panniers side panels is split into 2 cos one unzips from the pannier to become a bum bag lol There is also a tank bag with this item

Item number: 290533600778

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 20/02/2011 07:25  

Cheers for that info. I would rather buy second hand good quality for the same price as new lower quality items. I looked at your suggested ebay item number Shell and have asked the seller if they are the fully expandable ones - thanks for that info, I will keep looking until I have gathered more facts! Ratty

Update Reply
Rattay @ 20/02/2011 10:56  

No probs hon, the main key is if it unzips all the way round, the last ones I had only expanded 3/4 of way round and I was surprised how much extra I can fit in these new ones :-)

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 20/02/2011 12:26  

Just had a look Ratty ... I see the ebay seller now has pics of them expanded ... you can see the difference it makes ,.

New or 2nd hand ... I always put my stuff in bin bags inside ... lol just in case

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 20/02/2011 18:47  

Rattay, have pm'd re tank bag.

Update Reply
6ypsy @ 20/02/2011 20:51  

I didn't bid on those panniers and tank bag as I wanted a magnetic tank bag as they're easier for petrol fillups! So, I bid on a givi tankbag and got it for £34 inc p&p. The guy said he bought it new and didn't use it as his tank was plastic (he didn't know!) Looks like the new price was £65 so I should have a good deal there. Just after panniers now then, so will keep looking. Thanks for the help and advice all.

Update Reply
Rattay @ 21/02/2011 15:08  

JnS had an offef on a few weeks ago got a set of buffalo throwover panniers expanding ones and tank bag for 50 quid dont no if they still got any

Update Reply
laimdan @ 22/02/2011 00:28  

Cheers for that. I'm watching a set of panniers on ebay and may bid on them. They are 'Endurance Cargo'. Anyone got them or know anything about them?

Update Reply
Rattay @ 22/02/2011 10:50  

Hi, toured northern france & Guernsey last year for a month, got everything I needed in Kriega soft luggage, it's a modular system. Bags come in 10,20 & 30ltrs. They can be mounted on rear of the bike or tank (via tank pad), 100% waterproof and tough. Check my profile pics to see Triumph loaded. Expensive but highly recommended. There are also a range of rider specific rucksacs if you want to carry anything on your back. Enjoy your trips.

Update Reply
triple1 @ 23/02/2011 12:46  

Givi tank bag arrived It's a nicely made piece of kit and it's brand new! I'm well chuffed Just deciding now whether to bid on the Endurance Cargo panniers?

Update Reply
Rattay @ 24/02/2011 10:43  

I won the Cargo panniers as well last night. Seems to be my lucky week maybe I'll have a go on the lottery? Had our club meet last night so I had to put the bid on an hour before the finish, put a £35 max on and won them for£17. It was a 'collect only' so maybe that's why bids were low? Just a 20 mile trip to Leicester for me though and the M69 is usually a great little motorway. (Not busy and few old bill if any!)

Update Reply
Rattay @ 25/02/2011 10:06  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email