MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Single Test Coming?

Single Test Coming? - Forums [Biker Match] Single Test Coming? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Single Test Coming?

Press release from the DfT;

Plans to trial a new, single on-road motorcycle test have been published by Road Safety Minister Mike Penning.

The report from the motorcycle test review is the result of work the Department of Transport has undertaken with motorcycle groups, training organizations and others since June 2010.

Mike Penning said: “I want to make sure that we have a test which prepares bikers properly for the road so the motorcycle test review is a top priority for me.

“My goal has always been a single, on-road test which is rigorous and reflects real life conditions. By working with the industry and others we have identified a set of changes which have the potential to deliver this.

“It is also my aim that these changes will open up the test to those living in areas which are poorly served by the current network of off road test centres.

“I am grateful to all those who have given their time and expertise to the review and the focus will now be on starting trials of these proposals.”

The test is currently carried out in two parts, one on road and one off road.

The report suggests a new hazard avoidance manoeuvre which – subject to further trialing – could be carried out on the road. There is also a proposal which will be given further consideration, that slow manoeuvres such as slalom, figure of eight, and the U turn could be examined at training centres by delegated examiners ahead of the main test.

The next step will be to hold wider trials, with test level candidates, in the new year (gb edit - this year). This process will be followed by public consultation on the proposed changes.

The department hopes, subject to further work on the safety, cost and value for money, that there would be a phased introduction of on road testing moving to general adoption of the new test by the end of 2011 or early 2012. This will include on road testing in priority areas which are poorly served by the current network of off road test centres.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 07/02/2011 15:04  

The report suggests a new hazard avoidance manoeuvre which – subject to further trialing – could be carried out on the road. There is also a proposal which will be given further consideration, that slow manoeuvres such as slalom, figure of eight, and the U turn could be examined at training centres by delegated examiners ahead of the main test. so it's still gonna be a 2 part test then! only they're gonna move the hazard avoidance part to the main 'on-road' test!

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 07/02/2011 16:00  

Maybe i should wait until they decide what they want me to actually do before applying lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 07/02/2011 16:13  

Stella, sounds to me like they will put the 2 elements together ... Making 1 test say at £80 and if you fail on the slow or the avoidance , at the mo it costs £15 to redo ... you will have to pay full price to do it all again ... Screwed either way really !

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 07/02/2011 16:20  

Sounds like the lgv test you do pad work then go out on the road but as shell said will be high priced and defo make more money for the gov

Update Reply
JP @ 07/02/2011 17:53  

Well you can guarantee it will be more money. Small mercy's is hopefully learners won't have to travel miles to take a test.

Update Reply
we88yz @ 06/03/2011 05:02  

i bet they have come up with a radical new idea , where by the test exsaminer jumps out in front of the bike as you ride it round the block lol when will they learn to leave things as they are things mite be different now days but they wernt that stupid 50 years ago were they !

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 06/03/2011 09:53  

I heard that in the new test you have to go through the spped gate at exactly 49.9996787 km per hour whilst whistling the Belgian national anthem in the right key and correct pitch. Only then will you be allowed to pass

Update Reply
brad_the_impaler @ 10/04/2011 22:42  

Damn! I thought it was the Bulgarian National Anthem! no wonder I failed So, having taken and failed my Mod 1 last December, am I better off trying to do it again now, or wait untill the end of the year?

Update Reply
Karey @ 10/04/2011 22:54  

Karey do it again now honey - be too confusing when they change it .....again.

Update Reply
kazninja @ 20/04/2011 06:48  

It still is'nt a one part test is it? First you have the written test, then the practical riding part. When I took mie (back in 1977) it was a one part test. Show up at the test center, eyesight test, ride round the block, a few manouvers, questions from highway code. Simples!

Update Reply
timhall @ 23/04/2011 23:25  

...and I wish I had a pound for every time someone has said that about the bike test, I'd be a millionaire by now.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 23/04/2011 23:29  

Tim no it's not it's now a 3 part test really

1. Theory ... At a PC valid for 2 years
2. Modual 1... slow work off road ... Swerve, U turn etc Valid 2 years
3. Modual 2 ... Out on the road riding n hill starts etc. valid 2 years

If you include your CBT which is also valid for 2 years ... Can we all say hoops to jump through ...

Plus don't forget next year the 3rd European directive is supposed to be coming in for motorbikes ... You can only ride what you pass on and there will be NO automatic right to progress to a big bike after 2 years riding, if you pass on a 125 that's all you ride till you do another test, you cannot even ride restricted unless tested !!!

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 24/04/2011 05:28  

Well that will be interesting as it would be discrimination against bikes and would probley end up in the courts

Update Reply
JP @ 24/04/2011 16:52  

I think the arguement with that JP is that in a lot of things you do not automatically progress onto driving something larger just cos you have driven small for 2 years ... HGV & buses & coaches for example

And as we all know if Europe makes a rule its fair ... after all, why should bikes have to do an off road test ... cars dont ?

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 24/04/2011 16:58  

HGV and PSV tests are comptly different that is dependent to number of passengers or if articulated on HGV as the test classes have been reduced. the only change up has been on plant mobile crains you need a HGV to opperate them

Update Reply
JP @ 24/04/2011 17:16  

they have change the test this week > swerve and brake is not as one bit,,, you can now do a lap then stop ........ and the speed test has been lowered to help

Update Reply
Jack Jones @ 22/05/2011 05:36  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email