MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

New Tyres

New Tyres - Forums [Biker Match] New Tyres - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

New Tyres

I've had to have new tyres on my bike and was told they need 'scrubbing in on dry roads'. Can anyone interpret please, how long do I have to be a scrubber for?

Update Reply
6ypsy @ 06/02/2011 20:43  

New tyres are really slippy, too much power and a bit of wet and off you go , more so if you have two new tyres at the same time, hence the need for dry road rather than wet/damp ones (increases the risk of an off) Scrubbing in just means taking the shine off your tyres, so 50 mile or so nice and easy on dry roads

Update Reply
feistygirl @ 06/02/2011 20:50  

dealers normally recommend around 100 miles, just take your time on corners, your basically just "scrubbing" the shine off the tyres etc, so dont lean right over at first just a bit at a time etc, work them in

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/02/2011 20:55  

50 miles of dry roads, but I live in Brittain lol. On the bright side I only ever do nice and easy so I'm ok there. Cheers Feisty Ian - lean?

Update Reply
6ypsy @ 06/02/2011 20:57  

i would say around 100, i have a friend that owns tyremedics in Barwell, he has fitted tyres for me 6ypsy, and he says around 100 miles, but if you just want to do 50 thats up to you .

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/02/2011 20:59  

Continentals don't need scrubbing in because they don't use release agents in their moulds. Don't worry about it jac just ride with caution and to the road conditions. You'll be fine.

Update Reply
yamahama @ 06/02/2011 22:03  

http://www.cameronautotech.co.uk/tyres%20text.htm

Also says about 100 miles to clean off the residue that is left from the releasing agent, taking it easy, there will be dry days ... At some point lol

Reading continentals web site, some of thier tyres do need to be scrubbed in still so I would say ... If in doubt, do the 100 miles

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 07/02/2011 13:27  

Do take it easy for a good 100 miles if poss on nice dry roads and then grad increase lean angle etc,def do not go out in the wet with new tyres!

Update Reply
julie j @ 07/02/2011 17:25  

Jac just relax, you'll have more trouble being tense. Don't ride like a lunatic but you don't anyway no prob

Update Reply
yamahama @ 07/02/2011 17:32  

I fully agree with yamahama just take it steady and you will be fine most probs start with going into islands fast with hard braking same on corners just relax and stay off the white lines

Update Reply
JP @ 07/02/2011 17:41  

No probs with not braking hard, I don't go fast enough for that. Thanks all for your info, I'm hoping we get some dry (and calm) time on Sunday or more likely Monday so I can get scrubbing. Clay Cross to Matlock Bath and back 5 times should just about do 100 mile lol.

Update Reply
6ypsy @ 08/02/2011 01:40  

well ive just been out on my new harley and booootiful she is - i have two new tyres and i didnt realise that it had to be dry roads!! anyhow i managed to scrape footpeg going round a roundabout so i think i need to be a bit more steady when go out tmrw as it wstoday in raind!! its been rainign today all day - so my tyres probs aint even begun to scrub in yet!!! strong note to self - dont keg it over or you may be over! till tyres are scrubbed in on DRY roads !!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/03/2011 20:04  

No knee down or your arse will follow, for 100 or so miles.

Update Reply
Contradiction @ 07/03/2011 18:41  

wet or dry i think means just take it easy for 100 miles

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/05/2011 23:21  

You can scrub them in in quite a short mileage really, the 100 mile bit is no maxing on speed keep the heat down, when the tyres are made a bit of air can be trapped in the compound, too hot to fast means possible distortion. Thats what the tyre bloke told me yonks ago.

Update Reply
harry worth @ 13/05/2011 00:00  

Gotta agree with Harry here, it isn't just getting the realease agent off new tyres it's building up heat cooling cycle that also makes them work properly and consiquently grip better.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/07/2011 22:03  

first post on here , so hi to everyone. new tyres release an agent out of them so scrubbing in is the wrong word as some people say to use sandpaper or a file on them ( does not work )you do need be carefull but i tend to find a couple of laps ( do track days )wet or dry and tyres are fine , as for road use , use as normal and it will be fine , 23 years of riding and never come of due to new tyres ...

Update Reply
snowman701 @ 14/07/2011 00:12  

i was a bike dispatch rider for a while new rubber was a regular thing we used to rub the shine off with sand paper just enough to do the job we were far to busey to take it easy for a 100 miles

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/07/2011 01:44  

as i have said before sandpaper and yes it does work for me

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 14/07/2011 02:25  

ready Greasy Tony post on page 3 of the: Scrubbing in new tyres :topic

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 14/07/2011 02:50  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email