MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Scuba diving advice

Scuba diving advice - Forums [Biker Match] Scuba diving advice - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Scuba diving advice

I know that there are a lot of divers in BM, so I thought I would ask on here.

Whats the best way of drying wet boots? I have managed to get all the other stuff dry by hanging it on coat hangers on the shower rail. But the wet boots are being stubborn. I have until Saturday to get them dry before I go for lesson 2.

Alternatively, whats the best way of getting damp wet boots onto your feet?

Thanks all.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 02/02/2011 10:21  

Stuff them with old paper same as bike gear or hair dryer on low I'm a bloke what do I know

Update Reply
JP @ 03/02/2011 09:59  

Stuff them with newspaper and to help getting them on try talcum powder assuming you mean with bare feet ?

Update Reply
Big Twin @ 03/02/2011 19:34  

so sorry i only just saw this, probably too late. Yea stuff them with paper but don't hair dryer or radiator them, will mess up the neoprene. WHY do they need to be dry FFS? You're only gonna get them wet again!!! My stuff is never dry when I use it cos i dive twice a week. Getting wet is part of diving lol And good luck with the lessons. I took a mate for a trial dive on thursday and he loved it. It's one of the best sports/hobbies you can do.

Update Reply
Matt @ 05/02/2011 14:28  

I agree Matt,been diving for twenty years,and never had mi stuff dry! Talc is a diving must have.

Update Reply
bikerbitch @ 06/02/2011 00:09  

It's just for storing them. I don't particularly need them dry as I am diving every week. But if I have a break for a couple of weeks due to other commitments I don't want them to get damaged by storing wet and I only have a small flat so leaving them hung up isn't an option.

I will be having a 3 week break at beginning of march between confined water and open water dives. I am away then my instructor is away. Will do a confined water refresher dive before going up to Capern Wray.

The training is going ok so far. We are struggling with trimming the weights and tank position. If the tank is low enough for me to lift my head then it flips me onto my back when I am trying to snorkel. We added extra weight at the front to temporarily solve this problem for training, but it is too much for diving.

Aaaargh!

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 06/02/2011 12:42  

Hey, my daughter is going for a try dive at capenwray this saturday!

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 09/02/2011 01:06  

Never thought to ask on here but if anyone has a wet suit ladies size 6 or 8 they want to sell give us a shout yes, my offspring is size 6 / 8....not sure how that happened...hmmm think I must have brought the wrong baby home from the maternity hospital lol

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 09/02/2011 01:10  

Best of luck with the diving. When you get sorted you have go to go to the red sea - amazing. Paper is the way to go to dry them. The trick for getting wet gear on is to use plastic carrier bags - epspecially getting a wet suit on - plastic bag on the leg - straight in. You will enjoy capenwray - dont get lost lol Best wishes Martin

Update Reply
Fatbob16 @ 09/02/2011 03:22  

Use a smaller tank in the pool, urs clearly you heavy for u.

oh and in the sea u will need more weigh anyhow coz of the salt in the water.

Update Reply
Matt @ 11/02/2011 10:58  

It was only a 10L steel tank, so that's pretty much a standard size for us girlies.

Problem sorted anyhow, I had a chat with my instructor. There are two of us doing our OW course, and the other lad was falling behind, he seems to be a slower learner and needs to do skills over and over before he can do them successfully.

The instructor put me with a divemaster in the pool whilst he brought the other lad up to speed. Trevor (dm) and I messed around with tank position, weights etc and did some buoyancy work until we got it sorted out. Then spent about half an hour dicking about on the bottom of the pool playing maneuvering games.

I am currently using 2x 1kg weights on my belt and ankle weights for trimming purposes. I know that I will need more in salt water, and also when I get into the dry suit.

Thanks for the advice tho.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 13/02/2011 22:40  

ankle weights?? Why?? Just put all the weights at the front of your belt if the tank is too heavy on your back. I use a 15L steel tank and i have the same trouble with spinning around sometimes in the pool. So I always put on a wet suit and 2 weights at the front. Think I had 3x the weight in salt water though. Shout me if you need anything, but an instructor and dive master are probably looking after you well. One thing about the dive community is that it's just like biking - everyone wants to help you get started successfully and safely

Update Reply
Matt @ 14/02/2011 01:39  

might be going to Egypt in April. Let me know when you're ready to come dive with sharks and dolphins with me!

Update Reply
Matt @ 14/02/2011 01:40  

Women and men are built differently, so we need to be weighted differently.

Like a lot of women, I have light legs, so to enable me to stay level in the water, I need to put weight on my legs, or they float

I am doing Red Sea in October. 7 days live aboard. Hopefully by then I will have got some deep diving experience.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 14/02/2011 20:53  

ah deep isn't such a bad thing, just don't go deeper than 30m on normal air (21% Oxygen). Go south of Egypt or even Sudan for the big fishies!

Update Reply
Matt @ 15/02/2011 16:45  

Apparently, the live aboard is south Red Sea.

Plan is to get dry suit specialty, needed here in the UK. Nitrox specialty. and then probably deep diving, night diving and wreck diving. and AOW as well of course

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 15/02/2011 21:34  

Do night diving!!! It's ace!! Deep diving is the same as normal diving in my opinion, i never feel the nitrogen narcosis kicking in and I've done a few deep dives. Just less to see the deeper you go I think (far more colourful things at the surface). I want Nitrox next also, will do it in Egypt. In Egypt just use a shortie or 3mm suit.

Update Reply
Matt @ 16/02/2011 13:59  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email