MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle Events & Rides Out

Off to Italy any tips

Off to Italy any tips  - Forums [Biker Match] Off to Italy any tips  - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle Events & Rides Out /

Off to Italy any tips

I'm riding to the Ducati factory in July so it's Dover to Calais then via Monaco Mont Blanc and Lake Garda roughly at this point so as I have not been through Switzerland (sp) before any tips gratefully received Twin

Update Reply
Big Twin @ 30/01/2011 17:38  

Ride safe & have plenty of breaks

Sorry I cannot offer more than that I have only been to France

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 31/01/2011 11:03  

Hope you like pasta, and stay away from "family" affairs?

Update Reply
aussiegeezer @ 31/01/2011 12:54  

sounds a good trip :) I can't offer any advice, but it's the kinda route I was thinking for Late spring/ Early Summer... John

Update Reply
johng1974 @ 31/01/2011 13:15  

Bring plenty of money !!!

Update Reply
DriftnSlide @ 31/01/2011 14:22  

Switzerland don't tolerate speeding bikers so be aware, they have extremely steep fines if you get caught by a pissy copper.

In terms of actually riding through the country itself it is just stunning and the people very friendly. The hardest part you will have is trying to keep your eye on the road and look at the countryside at same time.

The little villages also are postcard affairs and lovely to sit and have lunch in. Most places have local restaurants and the food is good.

Madz

Update Reply
madscots @ 31/01/2011 17:27  

Yup, take me with you...

Update Reply
gatvol @ 31/01/2011 18:04  

........and send us a postcard.

Update Reply
DriftnSlide @ 31/01/2011 20:17  

sun block and dont chase the local wenches,, specialy if there dad is called Don

Update Reply
Boodyblues @ 31/01/2011 20:24  

do not go to switzerland... it's crap. The people are odd, drive like sunday drivers everywhere, you can't enjoy the roads at all! Get straight to Italy and go right up into the Alps. Avoid all the cities. The people in the Alps there are amazing and the roads are phenominal! See my event photos (all the nice one in the mountains are Italy)... http://www.bikermatch.co.uk/sites/bm/events/gallery/gal...ent_id=160 I can't recommend it enough! If you need the details of a fantastic hotel (family run, stuff you with local food, treat you like family) then let me know. Cheap as chips too. And get some local ice cream in the mountains, wow.

Update Reply
Matt @ 02/02/2011 00:41  

my youngest bro lives in italy (north east, trieste) so i`ve traveled that way prob 8 or 9 times the last 2 years, plus maybe 4 times previous to that holidaying, i`ve found.... hull roterdam is actually the shortest way to acces northern italy, (and cheapest if you factor in 2 overnights which you will avoid then) dover by ferry is most convienient if you need flexability, as changing ferry costs £10 if your lucky enough to be early, tunnel is lots less flexable, and terrible by bike if you want a rest/toilet stop/food. riding across france into belgium/switzerland or germany/austria is shorter, and HORRIBLE, i much prefer france towards geneva (usually hitting payage to make up time tho the route nationals are great if you have more time (i do them on way home, as i prefer to get al the way across 1st day,then i have lots of time for return trip) and either st omer/st quentin/ reims/st dizier...then... either chaumont 1/ dijon/dole/besancon/geneva and on into italy via chamonix n mount blanc tunnel 2/ head from st dizier /strasbourg / frieburg/ basil/ and across into germany then the top of italy (this is a nice way back if you fancy a day in the black forest in good weather ,not rain!!!!) always have your documents on you. have a credit card in your tak bag, in a seperate zip pocket, soley for tole tickets. (or an easily assesible pocket if no tank bag?) do not argue with female police on bikes (with machine guns) in italy, at the head of que you have just overtaken. carry your camera in tank bag. have a full fuel tank at the end of EVERY sat night, sundays are definatly rest days in italy. have at least 2 dif credit cards with "chips" to access fuel pumps. keep all reciepts for fuel or food you buy (this is law in italy, to prove you paid and also the person you bought from accepted your money) ride with lights on if not as standard on your bike. but a map with post codes/area codes on if your using sat nav. as lots of places are called the same, so you need to know area!! eat the plat de jour in france, and drink only red wine from north east italy. don`t put your feet down in switzerland! carry 2 visors. and al the normal hol stuff. it can snow in alps any time of year!! have a good time, sorry to waffle on, pm if any thing not clear!

Update Reply
oldyeti @ 02/02/2011 14:20  

Ride on the right sorry all I can add

Update Reply
JP @ 02/02/2011 15:13  

i've driven loads in switzerland and wouldn't agree with what matt says at all. If you fancy a route that includes switzerland do it cos it.s awesome. And bikes everywhere too

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 02/02/2011 17:06  

i must have got the wrong roads in switzerland then (heard good things and i expected a lot more). It was absolutely nothing compared to Italy!

Update Reply
Matt @ 02/02/2011 17:54  

Old yeti many thanks

Update Reply
Big Twin @ 02/02/2011 18:58  

Here's my two pennorth for what it's worth. I drove to Venice in 2009 and this is my dream route to northern Italy. I'd follow Old Yeti's suggestions for getting to Switzerland. From Basle/ Mulhouse I would deviate from the logical route & head to Thun. If the weather is clear you see the vista of the Bearnese Oberland and the Eiger wall, Junfrau & Joch mountains opening up in front of you and it's breathtaking. Go along the shore of Thunersee to Interlaken & if you have time detour south up the valley to Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen. If you adore mountains & glaciated valleys you won't be disappointed. The hanging valley is like something out of Jurassic park. Back to Interlaken and head east to Meiringen and over the grimsel and susten passes to Innertkirchen. This road passes the source / snout of the Rhone glacier and the cafe is a big biking place. Heading towards Andermatt you see the trucks thundering towards the gotthard tunnel below but I prefer to leave the dark, the horrible noise and fumes to them and stay up on the roof of Europe. Then on to Davos and from there head towards Italy via the Stelvio pass to Bormio and the descent through the Italian Tyrol to Bologna The tips about being prepared for any weather are sound. I've been in a blizzard on 1 August & seen people helicoptered off with third degree sunburn the same week. Please toast me when you are sat with the chianti classico and bolognese...bellissimo! ciao

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 02/02/2011 21:29  

Valpolicella P.S Minnie - hooray - you said two pennoth not two pennoth worth - I hate that misabbreviation

Update Reply
6ypsy @ 04/02/2011 00:55  

Thanks Minnie lots to think about my lounge floor is now covered with maps ( at least I can't see the clothes now )

Update Reply
Big Twin @ 04/02/2011 14:34  

have a few recomended roads from the last 20 or 30,000 miles around the dolimites/alps if needed, (i understand i can go on a bit) i tend to look for twisty, mountain roads with good tarmac, two sided, nice cafe`s, less traffic, not sure if this would be of use?

Update Reply
oldyeti @ 04/02/2011 15:52  

Yeh - wot she said (Minnie). Stunning route. Don't listen to Matt (On this occasion!) I think he's got too used to flat roads!!
Switzerland is wonderful biking country, but do stick to the limits unless you are very rich. (Actually, you need to be pretty rich to buy anything there). Beware vicious unmarked speed humps in absurd places in villages. ALSO, GPS with speed trap warning capability are illegal, and can be confiscated.
Around the large cities, especially in the low country, traffic can be very slow and the roads very dull.
Allow MUCH more time for your journey than it looks like on the map, unless you use the motorways. For which you need a "Vignette". I think you have to shell out for 12 months, which makes it an expensive proposition, especially as there's no discount for bikes. I've never done it myself though - can't see the point of going to the Alps and driving on an M25 clone.
If you go via Austria - and why would you not? - note that many passes charge a toll, which means you have to pay to get into the country! But it's brilliant when you get there. (Google "Grossglockner")
Italian traffic is totally insane. I hate it. My mate Graham thinks it's wild fun! Expect to be overtaken by Vespas and Fiat 500's going flat out around blind bends. There is a speed limit on Italian motorways, but if you stick to it, you'll be forced off the road. "Stopping Distance" in Italy is about 4" from your rear wheel. (Must have different Physics there). I had my foot driven over in an autostrada traffic jam by a Mercedes driver who's virility would have evaporated if he didn't get half a metre further forward. I wasn't filtering; he was! (well, trying to).
I could go on, but I should be working.
Have fun!!

Update Reply
manhill @ 04/02/2011 16:22  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email