MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

The bikers nod

The bikers nod - Forums [Biker Match] The bikers nod - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

The bikers nod

In Europe people tend to wave with their left hand, which is more relaxed and obvious than nodding. It doesn't work very well in the UK so we nod instead.But,what is the significance? and do you give the nod?

Update Reply
bikerbitch @ 30/01/2011 15:09  

I sometimes drag my leg a la Europe it saves getting a bad neck if there are several riders aproachingl

Update Reply
Big Twin @ 30/01/2011 19:02  

drag ya leg?? i stick me leg out if im tellin bike behind to go past well not right out or i might knock em orf ....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/01/2011 19:57  

easier to wave abroad due to them riding on the wrong side

I think a lot of it is more down to the type of bike u ride..

Sports bikers nod as it's easier to do that when couched over their bikes

Tourers/Cruisers etc will wave as we have a more relaxed riding position on our bikes so makes it easy to do so.

The leg wave is mostly a German thing to do and I've never worked it out. Yanks will wave and show a peace sign as they have one of the best laid back approaches to biking

The only exception to all that are most Harley riders (not all) or HOG members (Scottish lot are terrible they don't even like each other never mind other bikers) as they have delusion of grandeur me thinks.

Update Reply
madscots @ 30/01/2011 20:38  

if i nodded to all the bikers i pass while riding around London, I could get myself part time job as a nodding dog. On a motorway I'll wave or nod depening on my mood.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 01/02/2011 13:48  

you may find answers here: http://www.bikermatch.co.uk/sites/bm/forum/posts.asp?to...amp;page=1 perhaps Matt could combine the threads?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/02/2011 17:11  

I always nod, would feel very rude if I didnt !!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/02/2011 09:53  

Probably won't nod at everyone - just as I wouldn't say hello to every single biker in person.
If I recognised the bike I probably would lift a couple of fingers.....

Besides I'd be too busy concentrating on what I'm doing and trying not to crash.

Update Reply
gatvol @ 02/02/2011 15:56  

I must admit that after recently passing my test i wondered what the other bikers were upto! now i nod at anything that goes past, although there was a point when i wouldnt nod at scooters....but were all bikers right???

Update Reply
yetanotherdave2 @ 13/03/2011 23:31  

Dave .. Congrats on passing

Wait till you have done couple of weeks riding solid then get into a car ... And find you still nod at a bike coming towards you lol

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 14/03/2011 07:14  

I think there's a hierarchy going on. One time most bikers nodded at each other. The Harley riders dont nod at anyone but their own, the sports bike riders generally don't nod at cruisers, and hardly anyone nods at scooter riders.

Update Reply
suzyamki @ 14/03/2011 20:07  

your right suzyamki - when i was on a cbr400 all teh sports bike riders nodded at me..... now im on a harley they dont nod!!!! seems a shame to me but hey ho so long as im smilin while im riding they can stuff it really hahahaha...still seems a shame tho as like ya say we are all bikers...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/03/2011 20:39  

It depends how fast im going x

Update Reply
pinkstorm @ 14/03/2011 21:30  

I tend to wave rather than nod. Very good reason for this ... once I nodded to another biker and my head fell off! It was very inconvenient.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 15/03/2011 13:11  

"once I nodded to another biker and my head fell off! It was very inconvenient."

Don't you just hate it when that happens!!

Update Reply
RobL @ 15/03/2011 21:27  

I nod or wave to any 2 wheeled machine riders - since I got a Harley I don't get acknowledged even though I have made the first nod lol. I admit that most Harley riders are guilty as accused - we are not all like that honest. I really me off that the majority of HD riders are so up themselves.

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 15/03/2011 22:10  

The last nod I received on here has disappeared!! How did that happen??

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/03/2011 11:09  

littlechick have a new nod to replace the lost one

Update Reply
mr t @ 17/03/2011 16:22  

awww thanks lol much appreciated... I just don't understand how it disappeared!!!.maybe these things happen if people leave the site??? I dunno

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/03/2011 22:33  

I acknowledge every bike - not always returned. Had my first ride out in the dark this week, biker coming towards me..nod /wave he aint gonna see me ;-(.. but he winked ! well flicked his indicator on..i've learnt something new ;-)

Update Reply
Honda hotlips @ 19/03/2011 09:58  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email