MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

views needed for Bike Riding Virgins.

views needed for Bike Riding Virgins. - Forums [Biker Match] views needed for Bike Riding Virgins. - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

views needed for Bike Riding Virgins.

So. A few questions to all those old, cold hands out there. to help our virgin riders.

a) No, not the 'what bike should I get' question - I'm not stupid - I'm gonna try to test loads and see whether I prefer a sitting/armchair position or a sports one.
More: what do you LOOK for in a second hand bike? I'm thinking 'things that have gone wrong'. You know, when you look at a car you have a view along the body to see if the chassis is skewed etc. That sort of thing.

b) Which fall is easier to deal with (ie. fewer bumps/scrapes/deaths): low-siding or high-siding (I'm not sure - can you describe either?).

c) What is the MINIMUM you'd wear for wet weather commuting ?

d) Have any of you done the Advanced rider course?

e) How many of you resent the CBTA 'fast track' thing? Or do you think it's a valid method for obtaining the ability to ride bigger bikes?

f) people speak of 'power to get out of trouble'. Could you provide an example of when one would need such 'power'?

g) general reassurance please. for the new rider.........

Update Reply
bikerbitch @ 28/01/2011 10:59  

OK here goes....
A. Look for a bike that looks like its been looked after by the previous owner. Check if it starts easily from cold, and idles when it is warmed up. Good brakes and tyres a must, no leaky forks or rear shock. No noisey rattles from the engine, no clutch slip. Good chain not worn or rusted and not too slack or tight. All electrics working, no rusty water in the coolant reservoir. Any of these is a bargaining tool or just look for something better.

B. Low siding is when you lose the front, Highsiding is when you spin the rear tyre, step the bike out sideways and it flicks you off into the air. Highsiding usually causes more injuries due to the nature of it and the height involved, lowsiding not so much unless you slide under a car, bus, lorry etc. BOTH can cause death.

C. Textiles or waterproofs. Although TBH I only wear leathers wet or dry.

D. NO. 30 years riding and a bit of racing if that counts.

E. IMO abilty to ride bigger bikes comes from experience, don't go big too soon or it'll bite you back, maybe only once. Large capacity bikes don't suffer fools.

F. Get rid of tail gaters, able to overtake safely, outrun the police. Just 3 examples

G. Get on your bike, enjoy it, the more you ride the better you'll be and don't try to do too much too soon. There is many years of biking ahead of you, if you take the time to learn (in your own time).

Update Reply
DriftnSlide @ 28/01/2011 12:48  

the minimunm i wear at all times, wet or dry is pants.
Well u did ask lol

Update Reply
yamahama @ 28/01/2011 12:52  

actually the best thing to wear or not to wear is surely nothing then you have nothing to dry out?

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 28/01/2011 14:50  

Yam....keepur kniciers dry hon xxxxxxxxxxxxx nothing wore than wet knuick kaks ,, !Q

Update Reply
kazninja @ 28/01/2011 21:38  

I think Drifty has summed it all up, ditto except for the racing.

Update Reply
marsey @ 02/02/2011 02:42  

iwear protective gear at all times tbh - never know when it may be ur unlucky day :-(

Update Reply
kazninja @ 02/02/2011 17:31  

i am one everyone will prob have a go at, summer, its t shirt gloves shorty helmet jeans shades and boots.....but i dont condone it you should always wear the full protective gear.. !! and Kaz i would question your comment , nowt wrong with wet knackers lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/02/2011 17:53  

Each to their own Ian, I just know that I would rather scrape along the road in leathers than jeans and T shirt.

Update Reply
wheelbarrow @ 02/02/2011 19:16  

I did the DAS test about 13 years ago but only got a 400, and I shadowed my X husband till I got a lot of experience!!! Then took him as my pillion till I got used to that, which was quit funny as he is a lot taller then me hehe.

Power is great to keep you out of trouble but you do need to know what to do with it.
As for clothes don't wear as much as I should uuups,, cant stand all that gear when its hot!!!!

Have fun keep safe hun

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/02/2011 19:36  

i dont intend to scrape anywhere !!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/02/2011 19:38  

I second that wheelbarrow..I think it was Geoffb on a similar topic, he pointed out that it only takes 1 metre of tarmac to take your skin right off from a 30 mph 'spill'.. But each to his/her own..

Update Reply
old red @ 02/02/2011 19:38  

i cruise around, and i only mean when its scorching, but how many cruisers do ya see in accidents...but each to there own !!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/02/2011 19:41  

If you drop a bike at 60mph you will slide along the tarmac for around six seconds so for me its all the gear all of the time

Update Reply
Big Twin @ 03/02/2011 07:19  

yeah but then i would just shake it off get back on and carry on crusing lol, joking , the jeans i wear are cammos with protection, so its not that bad, and i usually do have a jacket on tbo

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/02/2011 08:13  

Well, my view on bike riding virgins is - - Please form an orderly queue at my door. Telephone appointments may also be made.

Update Reply
GreasyTony @ 03/02/2011 11:12  

there calling at mine first tony sorry !!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/02/2011 13:44  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email