MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

2 or 4 Stroke?

2 or 4 Stroke? - Forums [Biker Match] 2 or 4 Stroke? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

2 or 4 Stroke?

I was just talking to Alex (Rockchick123) and she put a thought in my head that I just have to ask everyone? Which do you prefer... 2 stroke or 4 stroke??? I'm a total 2 stroke freak, the smell, the sound, how they work, everything about them i love. (including the way they blow up everyother day lol) As an instructor i do believe that we should teach on 2 strokes, mainly because i believe they teach you more. 4 strokes are too easy to ride, what with engine braking and low down torque. You have to use the brakes and the gears on a 2 stroke, but if you use a 4 stroke like you would a 2, oh the fun you can have hehehehehe. so opinions people, for or against!!! Rattz

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/01/2011 12:37  

Hmmm ... ok, you have a good point (I hate saying that...lol)

I have to agree, when learning, a 2 stroke
However ... THAT noise! lol

Id say, learn on a 2 stroke ... and ... get your butt on a 4 stroke when you feel confident enough to ride one .. meantime, I suggest ... ear plugs! lol

Alex

Update Reply
rockchick123 @ 09/01/2011 12:42  

As an owner of both, a ZZR1400 and a RD350 ........ love them both for different reasons.

The smell of a 2 stroke ...... AHHHHHH

I think its a good thing that learners use 4 strokes, they have enough to worry about without making it harder to ride them. As there aren't any new large 2 strokes around these days, they are best left to the more experienced riders or Sad Old Gits like me that learnt on them.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/01/2011 12:46  

Other people's 2 Strokes, im addicted to Castrol R. can follow 2 strokes for miles just for the smell.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/01/2011 15:03  

is there much in the 2 stroke market now

Update Reply
JP @ 09/01/2011 16:16  

not much new but loads of old stuff there brill kwak kr1 s

Update Reply
yamahama @ 09/01/2011 16:19  

one of the only 2 strokes i've never ridden, and no one will let me is a TZ 750, i wanna ride one, please please please please let me ride one, i wanna, i wanna!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
totally agree on following 2 strokes, man you have to love that smell!!!!!!!! I so totally addicted to that power band, rode a Gamma/RD 500 hybrid once!!! OMG the kick of that rd 500 engine when it hit 7500rpm, the biggest smile i've ever had, and plus with the suzuki running gear you could actually use the front brakes!!! lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/01/2011 17:30  

RG500 please allways wanted one but never had the funds

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 09/01/2011 18:21  

i love riding 2strokes as well

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 09/01/2011 18:31  

still racing strokers here....love the smell and the sounds "wasps in a jam jar"! a few of the bigger ones still running in the classics too they're just not reliable enough to ride regularly all year round on the roads unless your a mechanic and have long pockets!

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 09/01/2011 19:22  

Learn to ride on the road with a stroker, lighter to pick up too just in case. Then learn to ride off road with one, you can learn a few things which will help you stay alive while on the road. After a while get a WR450F Yam, (thumper), ride it like a 2 stroke (off-road again), and spend the rest of the month grinning!! My personnal preferance would be a 4 stroke now,.. more grunt to carry me bulk about. The biggest, and by far the most worrying 2 stroke I ever had, was a supermoto KX500!

Update Reply
Paj1369 @ 09/01/2011 19:24  

Other people's 2 Strokes, im addicted to Castrol R. can follow 2 strokes for miles just for the smell. I'm with Actdaft - addicted to the smell - love watching the roadracing just so's I can smell em when they all go past!! :o))

Update Reply
46Rossi @ 09/01/2011 20:04  

Whats this reliability problem you lot keep going on about? I've had loads of them over the years and only broken the ones with poor set up's, thats a maintenance issue. Had a Kawasaki H2 750 no probs at all, rode it as everyday bike commuting and all. long live strokers

Update Reply
yamahama @ 09/01/2011 20:05  

omg how many 2 stroke freaks are coming outta the closet!!!!! hehehehehehehe

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/01/2011 20:07  

yamahama - you even put up with the liqorice frame lol the only reliability problem i ever had, was i couldn't leave them standard, had to get the most outta that lovely little engine hehehehe Rd 200dx with 400 pots and pistons, 200 crank, went great for about 300yrds then snapped the crank hehehehehehehe but those 300yrds were AWESOME!!!!! hehehehe

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/01/2011 20:10  

I've had a few 2 strokes over time too ... but I left them standard, other than the LC I raced, and that lasted nearly 2 seasons

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/01/2011 20:20  

Can't wait to get the KR going. Will be a right laugh this year putting all those bigger bikes to shame lol

Update Reply
yamahama @ 09/01/2011 20:35  

The only trouble I've had with a stroker was a crank seal perishing on a DTR that had been stood for a long while. With thumpers, a couple of DRZ400's that chewed up their output shaft seals, then dumped their oil and yet another (a SM model) that dropped a valve. And a WR250F that I flipped on a hill climb and it landed on the de-comp lever, bending a valve.

Update Reply
Paj1369 @ 09/01/2011 20:50  

bloody nuisance them valves better off without them

Update Reply
yamahama @ 09/01/2011 21:04  

To the OP, bloody great question and glad you asked. I love the smell of 2 stroke Castrol TTS, love the tunability of them, love that awesome powerband, enjoy that sweet ring ting ting ting noise, their simplicity, thier weight to power ratio and best of all they beat the arse of most bigger bikes or at least give em a good run for thier money.

Long live 2 strokes, cant wait to buy another RS125 or my favourite the RS250 and own that road to Weymouth! I will be literally buzzing with excitement, words dont come close to describing how much i am looking forward to adding a 2T to my collection and i am gutted i sold my last ones.

Im a fan if you had guessed and I ride my ZX6R like a 2T, muchos fun!!

Update Reply
coster83 @ 09/01/2011 21:18  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email