MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Filtering

Filtering (5) - Forums [Biker Match] Filtering (5) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Filtering

Regarding what the police advise re filtering, I was filtering down the middle of cars on the M5 and 2 police bikes had a word and advised that as long as it was under 20 mph I could "fill my boots" over that it was a no no.

And whoever said it was just the North East where they try and impede you??? Nah, they do it all over the place, had the blocking technique done on me all over the country, although not THAT much, most of the time they just don't see you (despite headlights on main beam) until you are on their arse and blipping the throttle. Plus quite often you are in the blind spots as they don't have the inside mirror adjusted correctly.

Please note in this thread I have not been arsey or confrontational ........ I'm not well you know

Oh and Geoff, I think you are wrong with what you put, but I'll defend your right to say it

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/01/2011 12:26  

Get well soon Shadow...swine or man flu ? As there doesn't seem to be any cast in stone highway code (haven't read it since riding out of the test centre) for filtering it's applied differently depending on the officer who pulls you over. I've got to say the traffic and bike cops in my neck of the woods are pretty reasonable to be honest but will feel your collar if you take the p*ss and hoon around especially after bike nights at Poole Quay on Tuesdays in the summer.

Update Reply
Smarty_UK @ 08/01/2011 12:46  

Please note in this thread I have not been arsey or confrontational ........ I'm not well you know SF - Are you saying that's the reason you haven't been arsey or the reason you usually are . I agree, everyone has the right to say owt (almost) and at least when it's controversial it get's us all tapping, but Geoff, aren't you now implying that you didn't mean he deserved what he got rather that has to accept liaibility. If it's the former and I'm defending you because I've misunderstood then please note - I think you deserve plague, pestulence, a bop on the head with a big stick and a slow painful lingering death for being such a meanie - ok. Re filtering, when I was knocked off, the police attended (not the one who was about 5 cars back in the queue of traffic, he buggered off), and I naturally asked if I was in anyway at fault. I was told that there is no specific reference to filtering in any legislation. I would deduce from that therefore that there cannot be any reference to an acceptable speed for filtering, however depending on your behaviour I would also guess that you could of course, always be guilty of careless/reckless driving (riding in our case). I also remember something from a post a good few months ago (may even have been last year) saying that when approaching a pedestrian crossing, you can't pass a vehicle once you are in the zig-zag zone (I doubt if that's the legal term but you know what I mean)so technically, if traffic is crap, you can only legally 'filter' until the zig-zags start. Bit daft really, but as they say, the law is an ass! Quite apt that, I'm watching Shrek at the mo, I'm not very well either SF

Update Reply
6ypsy @ 08/01/2011 13:14  

Ps. My words have been misconstrued all my life, I do hope you all realise I'm joking! Shall I get me coat?

Update Reply
6ypsy @ 08/01/2011 15:07  

pmsl @ SF, you must be really ill mate

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/01/2011 15:18  

6YPSY your right with a crossing as the ziz zag is a no overtaking zone you would be braking the law I think the same applys to the lead car at traffic lights

Update Reply
JP @ 08/01/2011 15:31  

i must break the law every time i get on the bike then because if theres room i always pull down the side at the lights right to the front.....i certainly wouldnt overtake near a pelican or zebra crossing and i wouldnt filter if the lights were on green especially if the traffic wasnt moving. and SF is right - car drivers try to impede you everywhere not just the NE.....i find bending their mirrors works quite well if they get too arsey!

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 08/01/2011 15:49  

Are they native to Ireland. i've never come across a pelican or a zebra crossing the road?

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 08/01/2011 16:12  

I do believe you're right JP, you've jogged my memory, that was also mentioned. Remembering must be what you are perfect at! But I think a slap just for good measure may be in order... Good lady, how are you fixed? No pelicans or zebras crossing here, plenty of sloths and boars...

Update Reply
6ypsy @ 08/01/2011 16:31  

If I recall correctly, the actual legal aspects of zig zags are two fold.

Firstly, you're not allowed to overtake the vehicle at the stop line and secondly you're not allowed to overtake any other vehicle that is still moving within the zig zag area.

I'm not sure about ordinary traffic lights. I thought it was ok to filter to the front, but I could be wrong.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 08/01/2011 17:03  

its the leprechauns you really have to watch for...they nip your ankles when you try to run them over!

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 08/01/2011 17:11  

Just read through all of this and WOW!!
Can't really commment on the right or wrong way to filter, it used to scare the out of me when I did it, so only did it when traffic was stopped and me doing about 10 - 15 mph through it. Maybe being scared made me more aware and cautious, maybe I was just lucky?? Who knows??
Anyway people lets feel the love again please and wish everyone who filters - safe filtering!

Update Reply
mandi jay @ 08/01/2011 17:34  

6yp ... try telling your insurance co this ...

http://www.motorbikestoday.com/news/Articles/filtering_...ng_law.htm

the interesting part being ....

In the article it states that the president has been set (2006 with Davis vs Shrogin) in this case for in slow or standing traffic the car driver to be responsible ... its a grey area if traffic is moving above a crawl ... and once things are moving properly, your breaking the law ...

wonder what the definition of properly is?

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 08/01/2011 17:47  

Highway code .. .. Pedestrian crossings .. .. rule 191 You MUST NOT park on a crossing or in the area covered by the zig-zag lines. You MUST NOT overtake the moving vehicle nearest the crossing or the vehicle nearest the crossing which has stopped to give way to pedestrians. [Laws ZPPPCRGD regs 18, 20 & 24, RTRA sect 25(5) & TSRGD regs 10, 27 & 28] Another thing I found whilst looking for any info regarding filtering at traffic lights was this ... .. Do you have a crystal ball JP ?... coz it appears you need one to tell you when the light is gonna turn red !!!! I drive an articulated vehicle. Quite often, when I approach the lights they are green, but by the time by vehicle is through, they have changed to red. There is nothing I can do because of the length of the vehicle. Why should I be prosecuted? If the red light is not showing when the front of the vehicle crosses the line, but is illuminated before the rest of the vehicle has passed, an offence is committed. The rules state that it is your obligation as a driver to ensure that the whole of the vehicle can pass on green. If it cannot, you should not proceed. Feel the lurve and happy filtering

Update Reply
GreasyTony @ 08/01/2011 18:43  

would you get a fixed penalty and 3 points for using your crystal ball whilst driving!?

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 08/01/2011 18:48  

Is playing with your balls prohibited then?

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 08/01/2011 18:54  

'Hands free' balls playing would prob be ok & I'm gonna stop there .........................................................

Update Reply
GreasyTony @ 08/01/2011 19:02  

GreasyTony I know the traffic light one only too well as you say front clears on green some 40+feet later my tlr axle trips the sensor bingo Im a winner £60.00 and 3 points what really pisses me off is if I go to court and win it will cost me min £250.00 in lost pay so just take the points and run

Update Reply
JP @ 08/01/2011 19:25  

At last...Feeling the lurve 'filtering' through

Update Reply
old red @ 08/01/2011 19:31  

Not much luurve being felt here Red. I've just read your article Tony and Shell, same article but thanks to you both. I've re read my letter from my insurance co, and the reason for their advice is because the drivers claim that he was indicating, and my witness can't say who is at fault. I didn't see any indicator, but never said he wasn't, just that I never saw him doing so. He proof is that the oncoming driver flashed to him to turn. But the oncoming driver is my witness, she says she never flashed him, didn't see him indicating and that she was too far away to have seen it. It's not possible that he's referring to a different oncoming driver because if anyone had been in front of her they would have run me and my bike over. So as far as I'm concerned that proves he is lying doesn't it, and anyway, as I said to ebike, isn't it down to the insurance company or the court to say who's at fault and the witnesses just give evidence? Thanks gang, I'll let you know how I get on...

Update Reply
6ypsy @ 08/01/2011 20:34  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email