MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Price of Fuel

Price of Fuel (4) - Forums [Biker Match] Price of Fuel (4) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Price of Fuel

As with all things you have to look into it and do the sums. Gas and chip fat are well known but what about alternatives? There must be some bright sparkes on here with ideas. It's ok moaning and poo pooing lpg but it must be worth it if you buy a car thats allready been converted. Anybody Know the legal requirements of electric bikes, registering taxing etc.? Culd be cheap for commuting.

Update Reply
yamahama @ 09/01/2011 19:58  

buy them on ebay for a grand if they last 2 years i'v got my money back and never had any problem finding a filling station, tank goes in spare wheel hole and carry emergence thin spare which takes up hardly any room

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 09/01/2011 20:02  

@yamahama - http://www.oilgae.com/energy/sou/ae/re/be/bd/po/rap/rap.html

@Bikeabill, I could be wrong here, but I think its a legal requirement to have a spare wheel/tyre in a car.

Update Reply
DynaToon @ 09/01/2011 20:34  

Its not, some cars come with a repair kit now. Honda Civic, Mazda RX8....

Update Reply
yamahama @ 09/01/2011 20:37  

Only legal reqirement for the spare is if you sell the car it must be useable and legal

Update Reply
JP @ 09/01/2011 21:05  

Oh course the reason that petrol keeps going up and road tax likewise is that the governemnt don't want us riding/driving around in huge engined vehicles. That why the road tax on a 1 litre car is nothing or next to nothing and why i pay £245 a year for my 2litre car, it's to incentify us to buy smaller engined vehicles, and i for say B******* to that, I'm not being bullied into something i don't want to do and having to drive around in a hire car with about 50bhp for the past 3 weeks while mine is in hospital, is doing my head in, Ok so the fuel consumption is almost twice what i get from my 2litre, but it's doesn't have any get up and go, trying to over take a milkfloat is almost a life threatening task in it's self I can't wait to get my car back, just in time for the tax to run out so another £245 and the weather to improve and i can use the bike again i expect...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/01/2011 17:23  

Little bit of fun for you......
Work out how much UK fuel tax you are paying.

Press ctrl + D to book mark this UK fuel tax Calculator. It certainly suprised us how much taxation we are paying on our fuel. The UK has one of the highest fuel duty rates in the world.
Enter Mileage and Fuel used since last fill-up:
Use your trip counter and reset when you fill up ensuring that the tank is full then when empty fill up to full again noting the mileage covered. Then insert your annual mileage to get your annual tax costs

Click on the link below.....

http://www.torquecars.com/tools/Fuel-tax-calculator...r.php

This is what mine worked out at (roughly)

Your fuel consumption
( MPG) ( Km per litre)( litre per 100Km)
Averaging pence per mile
So (Change this figure to recalculate). miles would cost
Fuel Duty VAT**

= Total UK Fuel Tax paid per year

These fuel duty rates are correct as at 01/09/09. ** VAT is charged on top of the Fuel Duty!

So Next time you ride over one of the many potholes that are now showing up, think...Where does all my tax go to?

Update Reply
DynaToon @ 12/01/2011 18:20  

Thanks for that Dyna, I'm very scared right now, my car is only doing 24mpg Heres my calculations UK Fuel Tax calculator Distance covered (since last fill up):- miles Litres of fuel used :- litres @ cost per litre (pence) Choose Fuel Type Petrol Diesel Bio Diesel Bio Ethanol LPG

Your fuel consumption( MPG) ( Km per litre)( litre per 100Km)Averaging pence per mile So (Change this figure to recalculate). miles would cost Fuel Duty VAT**
= Total UK Fuel Tax paid per year These fuel duty rates are correct as at 01/09/09. ** VAT is charged on top of the Fuel Duty!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/01/2011 18:33  

OMG thats scarey - mine's more than i pay in income tax a year!!!!

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 12/01/2011 18:37  

OMG ... now I KNOW I have to get a job closer to home !! Either that or get my ickle car back lol

& Yeah I do 1000 a month just going to work & back never mind anything else not for much longer tho

Your fuel consumption
( 36.37 MPG) (12.87 Km per litre)( 7.770007 litre per 100Km)
Averaging 15.86 pence per mile
So (Change this figure to recalculate). 15,000 miles would cost £2,379.00
Fuel Duty £1,053.40 VAT** £310.30= Total UK Fuel Tax paid per year £1,363.70

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 13/01/2011 19:21  

Fuel duty rates 01/09/09 The vat has gone up 20% and fuel duty is higher think you should just double your tax

Update Reply
JP @ 13/01/2011 19:36  

heard today that there are plans for fuel duty to go up again in april

Update Reply
yamahama @ 13/01/2011 19:44  

Will be paying £1.40 by may then £1.50 july/aug due to folk not going abroad for holls so big fuel tax to be had

Update Reply
JP @ 13/01/2011 20:13  

Yup ... last year I did 20,000 miles between the bike and the car thankfully I get about 55mpg on the bike since it's service ... Think that will be used more this year especially if the above inflation rise goes ahead in April .

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 14/01/2011 03:12  

I have a feeling that protests across the country are coming , watch this space

Update Reply
DynaToon @ 14/01/2011 06:15  

I agree and think it will be a very big and very loud message that we have had enough of being walked over by ALL the partys

Update Reply
JP @ 14/01/2011 06:21  

This could get interesting now, the tanker drivers are talking about industral action over pay due to record profits being made

Update Reply
JP @ 15/01/2011 10:30  

dont hold your breath the apathy in the country is inbred!

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 15/01/2011 12:14  

^Bloody sure !

Its the only time I wish we were more like the French. Imagine what they would be doing, apart from burning sheep.

Update Reply
DynaToon @ 15/01/2011 12:19  

Some action groups for those that can be bothered - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2227729802 (thread) http://en-gb.connect.facebook.com/pages/Fuel-Protest-20...0934283642 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- MCN - http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/community/Forums/Cate...-id=408175 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Activist Post - http://www.activistpost.com/2011/01/prospect-of-uk-fuel...rises.html

Update Reply
DynaToon @ 15/01/2011 12:29  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email