MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

'Speeding Awareness' Course - charges to Increase

'Speeding Awareness' Course - charges to Increase - Forums [Biker Match] 'Speeding Awareness' Course - charges to Increase - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

'Speeding Awareness' Course - charges to Increase

The cost of taking part in a speeding awareness course is to rise from £60 to £100 in a bid to boost revenue to keep roadside speed cameras.Road users caught speeding at more than 10mph over the limit will be sent on the £100 one-day speed awareness courses. Police chiefs hope the increase in revenue for the will be enough to off-set recent funding cuts to camera partnerships, therefore saving camera networks across the country.Under new rules offenders will have to be going at 10 per cent plus 9mph over the limit before they are given an automatic fine. This means a road user could be clocked at 42mph in a 30 zone before an automatic fine is issued.Offenders will be offered the chance to go on the awareness course under the new proposals, or accept a fine and points. Those caught breaking the limit more than once will automatically be issued points and a fine, with no second chance for an awareness course.Police Forces in the Thames Valley, Cambridgeshire, Northumbria, Devon and Cornwall, Bedfordshire, Suffolk, Dorset, Essex, Avon and Somerset and Norfolk have all backed the proposals.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 03/01/2011 16:57  

Has the 'rules' changed from the 10% plus 2mph over the speed limit that was the old ruling then? In most counties of the UK if you were speeding in a 30mph zone you wouldn't be booked unless you were clocked at 35mph (30mph + 10% =33mph + 2mph = 35mph) (50mph + 10% =55mph + 2mph = 57mph) (70mph + 10% =77mph + 2mph = 79mph)

Update Reply
Rattay @ 03/01/2011 17:08  

Has the 'rules' changed Looks that way.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 03/01/2011 17:28  

KERCHING !!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/01/2011 05:29  

It may be better to pay the fine and take the points to cut off their source of revenue as well as being cheaper if you have a clean licence. Maybe Captain Gatso and his pals will make cameras too expensive for the so-called Safety Camera Partnerships.

Update Reply
Cataraptor @ 04/01/2011 07:14  

dont get caught!

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 06/01/2011 17:28  

I have done a speed awareness course in Dec 2009.

I personally didnt find it that useful infact i got into a heated debate with the guy running the course because the whole thing is based on scenarios and every scenario contains a child that dies which in itself is a terrible thing. but IMO if you use that all the time folk get hardened to it and it becomes less meanigful.

On the other hand when the eldery lady who was 79 years young explained on her turn that the reason she was speeding was ' because when you get to my age you have to make yor own excitement' i couldnt stop laughing :)

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 07/01/2011 12:56  

...lady who was 79 years young explained on her turn that the reason she was speeding was ' because when you get to my age you have to make yor own excitement' LMHO @ the old gal, nice one.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 07/01/2011 15:07  

Jackie ... You have to cause chaos wherever you go?

But I agree ... go grandma !!!!

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 08/01/2011 06:06  

Jackie ... You have to cause chaos wherever you go?

Isnt that the law lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 08/01/2011 11:14  

How many car drivers in German cars do they catch. Speed alone does not kill. It's speed in relation to inanimate objects that kills. Inanimate objects like speed cameras, traffic islands and lamp posts. The law should be like Germany, if you leave inadequate braking distance they fine your arse off on the spot. Same for middle lane cruising and for not filtering down into the inside lane before the traffic congestion starts at road works.

Update Reply
webonnielad @ 10/01/2011 20:06  

And instant fines for people who just pull into the outside lane to overtake another vehicle and then do 1mph more than the thing their trying to overtake

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/01/2011 14:31  

If thats the rule change then its better. Instead of 10% +2, its now going to be 10% plus 9 ? I'd be happier with that if, that is the case.

Update Reply
DriftnSlide @ 18/01/2011 00:00  

I have to do this course very soon. I was traveling at 36mph on a urban dual carriageway. The road was not one where pedestrians go. OK I am guilty but there are other dual carriageways in London where the speed limit is 40 MPH and there are pedestrians. It doesn't always make sense. I would rather do the course at £97 than get the points plus £60 fine. What ever we do, it is all about revenue in the end.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 09/03/2013 22:24  

Bear in mind some insurance companies now ask if you have been on one of these courses then load the premium if you have, kind of makes them pointless (no pun intended)

Update Reply
Sprint900 @ 10/03/2013 10:49  

i did a course last year. it raised some interesting points on braking distances and the rate at which speed is shed. most of the course was just boring but as an attempt to educate on why inappropriate speed is dangerous to yourself and others it is still in my head. i still speed (only joking ociffer) but i leave a much longer gap with the car in front now.

Update Reply
xj @ 10/03/2013 21:26  

I done a course in Feb, I got caught doing 35 on a 30 road, it also was a duel carriageway and thought it was a 40 road. My own fault for not taking as much notice as i should of done to the speed signs. I now drive/ride 30 unless I see signs that say otherwise

Update Reply
drobess @ 10/03/2013 21:37  

I would actually recommend the course I took 2 years ago to all drivers. It was informative and interesting, and showed just how Ill informed and ignorant most road users are of road conditions and of reading the road ahead !
The 2 guys taking the course actually praised the majority of motorcyclists, normally being more aware of conditions and reading the road, mainly because our lives depend on it !
I honestly think that a general motoring course, taken every 5 years or so, would benefit us all.
Oh and the main man on the speeding course congratulated me on my contribution to the day, but realised it would have no affect on my speed, sensible bloke lol.

Update Reply
Fatbob16 @ 13/03/2013 16:59  

I'll agree with Bandito on this..i got zapped last July and thought the course was quite good and even made me more aware of the road in general....but surprisingly i found that i was the worst offender there...43 in a 30 zone...a truckie zapped at 42 was also a biker....oops. Personally i blame Wenders for organising a bike meet at a pub right next to a bloody camera...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/03/2013 20:53  

I cocked up on mine, got up too late. I had to re-book it and pay the full amount again. Total cost to date £194

Update Reply
davidneale @ 27/03/2013 21:08  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email