MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Born-again bikers blamed for dramatic rise in road accidents

Born-again bikers blamed for dramatic rise in road accidents - Forums [Biker Match] Born-again bikers blamed for dramatic rise in road accidents - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Born-again bikers blamed for dramatic rise in road accidents

This is an old article, but still fairly relevant, I think.
Bikes now compared to what alot of us rode back in the 70s/80s are alot more powerful and in most cases lighter as well.
I'm sure this doesn't just apply to men .
If you fit into this category, take heed.

Police have warned men in their 30s and 40s often with limited experience of more powerful bikes to be more cautious
Mark Macaskill Children of the motorcycle-loving 1970s are responsible for a significant rise in road accidents as they relive their youth on high-powered machines. Police and road safety campaigners say born-again bikers are largely to blame for a 30% rise in motorcycle accidents among men in their 30s and 40s in the past decade. They grew up when the motorbike was king, with stunt rider Evel Knievel at the height of his fame and British motorcyclist Barry Sheene the world 500cc champion. Ageing bikers have traded up from the relatively modest motorcycles they owned as teenagers to powerful superbikes, which are far more difficult to handle. They also tend to use their bikes for leisure trips, which means they only clock up about 3,000 miles a year, usually during the day and in good weather. As a result, they are ill-equipped to deal with more hazardous situations. In 1997, about 380 bikers aged between 30 and 49 were involved in crashes, compared with 506 in 2007. Overall, the number of motorcyclists killed or injured in Scotland rose 10% from about 950 to 1,050. While the number of people killed on Scotland’s roads fell to an all-time low of 281 in 2007 — the latest year for which figures are available — 40 motorcyclists lost their lives, an increase of 11% since 1997. The issue has provoked concern among ministers, who will launch a 10-year road safety strategy tomorrow. “Motorcycle casualties are a significant concern,” said Brian Anderson, chief superintendent, Dumfries and Galloway constabulary, and spokesman on road policing for the Association of Chief Police Officers in Scotland. “Police forces closely analyse road crash statistics and we know that the majority of people involved in motorcycle accidents are in their 30s and 40s. “We don’t want to be killjoys but the message is about safety. Of course, middle-aged men should go out on a motorcycle if they wish, but if they were last on one in their late teens, they need to be aware that modern bikes are different, they are more powerful and there are more vehicles on the roads. It is a fact that motorcyclists are more likely to be killed or seriously injured than a car driver.” Michael McDonnell, director of Road Safety Scotland, said: “Motorcycle casualties remain a significant issue in Scotland, particularly on country roads where poor speed choice often leads to loss of control, with disastrous consequences.” This month, David Weir, 43, a hotelier from Bishopbriggs near Glasgow, was killed on the A830 Fort William to Mallaig road in an accident involving his bike and two other cars. In May, a 50-year-old motorcyclist died after a collision with a car on the A835 near the Letters junction, south of Ullapool. In March, a man, 41, was killed after he lost control of his Triumph Tiger on the A82 Drymen to Glasgow road, a famous routes for bikers, and collided with a car. Motorcyclists account for one per cent of traffic but almost a fifth of all deaths on British roads.

Update Reply
DynaToon @ 27/12/2010 08:43  

buddy, you have posted in white, please edit as it cant be read !!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/12/2010 08:46  

Lol, don't know why it did that

Update Reply
DynaToon @ 27/12/2010 08:48  

cheers dyna !

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/12/2010 08:49  

Dyna, it automatically shows as white, if you copy it from another site, all you need do, before you hit 'post message', is to highlight the text and change it to black (I know it already LOOKS black) and it will show as black. HTH

Update Reply
Sandi @ 27/12/2010 09:08  

Doesn't the fact that there is much more than a 30% increase in road users, since then, and the fact that the car test has got easier, whilst the bike test has got harder, get taken into account ?
Some may have passed their bike test in the 70's and returned to bikes later on, but I reckon the price of insuring a large bike, without a no claims bonus, would put many off.
I see this as spin, another report designed to blame motorcyclists, regardless of the fact that most bike accidents involve other vehicles.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/12/2010 09:14  

I read somewhere, I can't remember where, that most bike accidents are CAUSED by other vehicles.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 27/12/2010 09:19  

@Kwak - thanks for posting info

Why doesn't that surprise me Re: causes

Update Reply
DynaToon @ 27/12/2010 09:37  

I think the most recent figures show that over 45% of motorcycle fatalities are actually single vehicle accidents.

It is true that the majority of urban accidents involve other vehicles, but rural accidents, which tend to have a larger percentage of serious and fatal injuries, involve a greater proportion of single vehicle accidents.

As such, although there may well be a greater number of bike accidents that involve another vehicle, those that result in serious or fatal injuries tend towards not doing so.

However, from what I can tell, "born again" bikers, along with female bikers, appear to be far more likely to undertake further training after passing their test. Whereas most male bikers that have ridden for ten years or more are more reluctant to do so, many even believing that it simply will not help them. An opinion I don't agree with it. An opinion I do however hold as a result of this, is that the problem of the "born again" bikers is one that does seem to be diminishing.

It has to be remembered when these things are read, that statistics can always be "utilised" to produce the results required if someone wants to do that.

I for one always chuckle slightly when I hear that more people in their 30s and 40s are involved in accidents whilst riding modern superbikes than any other age group. When you think about it, this stands to reason; people under the age of 30 are less likely to be able to afford modern superbikes and those aged 50 and above tend to move to "softer" types of bikes.

This is no different really than the "evidence" produced by Brussels in the 80s suggesting that more bike accidents involved large more powerful bikes. Those that can remember that time will also remember that the evidence was eventually ridiculed when it was discovered that the lengths of road examined were in the majority autobahns and other high speed european motorways. And that more accidents involved large bikes on these roads than 125s and scooters. No sh*t sherlock lol!

So although I do feel we need to ensure that any "evidence" produced like this is argued with if possible, I for one don't panic when I read it.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 27/12/2010 15:40  

I read somewhere, I can't remember where, that most bike accidents are CAUSED by other vehicles..............after being on the recieving end of an accident caused by a car driver not looking before she turned right at a junction i'm fully in agreement with this statement!!!

Update Reply
drobess @ 27/12/2010 15:52  

Yes very true drobess.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/12/2010 16:01  

I have to agree with Geoff on this one, every `reliable` set of statistics I have ever read points to the majority of motorcycle accidents being the result of an inexperienced rider mis judging a bend, another reason in my eyes to bring back a probation period on a relatively small bike for everyone who passes there test.

Update Reply
julie j @ 27/12/2010 16:26  

Even experienced riders can misjudge bends if they start riding on autopilot. What happens next is in the lap of the gods.

Update Reply
Wills @ 27/12/2010 16:43  

I'm in full agreement with Geoff and Julie.

Do away with direct access and hold all riders to 35hp when they pass test for 2 years to gain experience. The knock on from that would be better insurance rates for us all.

Update Reply
whackojacko @ 27/12/2010 16:48  

Agree (pretty much) entirely. Never been a fan of direct access, seems to defeat the object of creating a period of learning on a bigger bike to me.

For me the answer is a two part test with a pass resulting in a reasonable period, say two years, on a bigger bike that is restricted and that everyone should do this regardless of age.

I do think that the current restriction limit is too low and should be raised to 45bhp, but otherwise agree with WJ. Direct access should be scrapped.

I also think that the government should actively encourage additional training .. perhaps by forcing insurance companies to offer good discounts for people with RoSPA and IAM test passes.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 27/12/2010 16:58  

I wonder if invisibility has anything to do with it ..... I appear to be ...lmao

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/12/2010 17:13  

Did someone say something?

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 27/12/2010 17:17  

there is no direct access in N ireland - if you pass your test you are restricted to 33bhp for 2 years (i think). Fatalities stats for year apr 09- apr 2010 are: total fatalities on NI roads 101 - of that 16 were motorcyclists. of those 16 only 6 were single vehicle accidents the rest involved collisions with other vehicles. My own opinion is that driving standards here are lower than the UK. I dont know whether this supports the above theory about direct access. I did direct access in England before i moved here, and i have no complaints about it. I went to a ZX9r the day i passed my test but then ive never felt the need to keep up with mates and ive always been aware of my own limitations. The argument about lower insurance...sorry but thats bollox - if you dont do extra training because you want to do it you wont benefit from it...you learn more when youre interested in what youre doing!

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 27/12/2010 18:57  

Oh Kwak, you are sooo masterful.
While I agree training does not necessessarily make better riders, It does show them how to be better. If all bikers are limited for 2 years to 33horse, it gives them more time to properly learn to ride to their limitations. The natural assumption is that if young riders take longer to learn on limited bikes, they should be better riders and have less avoidable accidents. I follows that premiums would fall as a result.

Update Reply
whackojacko @ 27/12/2010 19:10  

"
For me the answer is a two part test with a pass resulting in a reasonable period, say two years, on a bigger bike that is restricted and that everyone should do this regardless of age.
"

I would love to see this enforced for car drivers

Update Reply
DynaToon @ 27/12/2010 21:13  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email