MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Camping, tents stuff

Camping, tents stuff - Forums [Biker Match] Camping, tents stuff - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Camping, tents stuff

Merry Christmas to you all.

I'm going to do some camping weekends and perhaps the odd week this year. I havn't camped since the kids were young & am looking for advice on types of tent suitable for short trips. Ive looked at lightweight tunnel tents but am unsure if they are fit for the job. Any advice welcome, thanks.
Jack

Update Reply
whackojacko @ 26/12/2010 21:03  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Coleman-Phad-Three-Man-Tent/dp...amp;sr=8-1 I use one of these on the bike, sits nicely across the panniers, enough room room for 2 peeps and the porch area is good for keeping boots and beer in! Paid a lot less than that though!

Update Reply
YID @ 26/12/2010 21:23  

Cheers yid, but it does seem a bit pricey. I'v bin lookin at mountain warehouse site but unsure if lightweight tents will do the job.

Update Reply
whackojacko @ 26/12/2010 21:46  

Personally I wouldn't go for a single skinned tent - that extra layer of an inner "bedroom" part plus a separate "flysheet" part makes all the difference to dryness & warmth. & get a tent that's 1-2 persons larger than you'll be using it for!

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 27/12/2010 08:36  

I agree, double-skin is a must. Go Outdoors do a good range of tents and some of the more reasonably priced ones are perfectly adequate for most trips. Go for a 3000 rated tent to make sure you're dry, and a 3 man for all the bike gear/boots etc.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/12/2010 08:55  

Little tip for anyone who is thinking of buying camping gear in 2011.
Halfords do fairly decent gear and IMO value for money too.
Well, when they change up their summer stock to autumn/winter stock they massively reduce all the camping gear, and I mean all of it.
I bought a 4 man tent before the summer which is big enough for 2 adults and 3 kids.
I was so impressed with the tent that I went back to get a 2 man tent at the end of the summer, the kind assistant told me to pop back next Saturday and BE EARLY, which I did. I bought the 2 man tent, cooker, inflatable beds, fridge and lights all for £65 which I think is way above excellent value.

Both tents are fly sheeted with internal pods/bedrooms, with built in ground sheets. They have also both endured the torrential rain and coped well.
The big plus is that I can also get my bike into the 'lounge' area of both tents

Update Reply
DynaToon @ 27/12/2010 09:44  

Thanks everybody, I'll take that all on board and start researching for best prices.

Have a guid new year one and all when it comes.

Update Reply
whackojacko @ 27/12/2010 10:24  

Double skinned tunnel tents are about the best use of space and value. I prefer a smaller sleep area and a larger porch area. If the inner and outer are erected seperately, try and get the type where the outer fly sheet is erected before the inner sheet (to keep the inner dry when erecting the tent in the wet!) If you don't intend camping in really terrible weather a lightweight cheap tent min 2000 wet rated and 3000 ground sheet rated as someone else mentioned are fine in the UK (usually!) from April to October. The higher the wet rating the dearer/better the tent Tent prices tend to rise about March time so buy now!

Update Reply
Rattay @ 27/12/2010 13:21  

I have the most amazing 4 man tent that I bought earlier in the year. Just need the 4 men to fill it!!!

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 27/12/2010 13:30  

Well BL

Cricky, it must be a large one to fit 4 men in hmmmmmm!!

Update Reply
whackojacko @ 27/12/2010 17:07  

If you want one just for the season, halfords 3 man dome double skin is ok, but buy a few spare poles...cheap tents tend to have cheap poles .... ...a tip is to get some strong black masking tape(Gaffer Tape) and wrap the ends or as close to the ends and two points equally spaces along the pole, so if it does split it will hold for the night. Duke of edinburgh award tents are a good buy and they last and are light weight and good for the bike.... oh yeah and buy an infalable matress....sod the roll mats go comfort and it doesn't take up any more room then a rool matt

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/12/2010 00:17  

Handy Hint for Camping #47. Whether your poles are cheap & cheerful or state of the art, bring them with you. *whistles innocently*

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 28/12/2010 04:33  

Hey WJ! My favorite subject... There's an earlier forum on camping stuff, have a look here:- http://www.bikermatch.co.uk/sites/bm/forum/posts.asp?to...ic_id=5219 Tentwise I recommend the geodesic designs for stability. I have a Vango Halo tent which was just over £100, I know it's pricey but it fits in a pannier and is a doddle to pitch on my own, even in wind and rain. If you're unsure whether you'll keep it up tho (fnah fnah) and don't want to spend loads this one is my reserve for when my lad and dog come along:- http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/produ...36907#dtab It's not as easy to pitch and is a bigger pack (about 2' x 6'' dia) but then if dog comes I have the trailer. It's well worth the money... Good luck with it!

Update Reply
6ypsy @ 02/01/2011 22:18  

I've just gone for a khyam explorer 400 £145 (quick and easy to put up) as we're planning more than just a weekend away this year The freelander is a bit smaller £129

Update Reply
skinnylady @ 02/01/2011 22:59  

Dont forget a good warm sleeping bag, I always take a small hot water bottle as well, def needed for early camping events! (all year really)

Update Reply
Roxie 1963 @ 02/01/2011 23:49  

Thanks for that Roxie, learnt that from the farmyard last year - had frozen feet all night LOL Hope to see you in Durham later in the year!

Update Reply
skinnylady @ 02/01/2011 23:58  

I've just had my weekly fix from Amazon and one of the offers looks like a decent lightweight tent, see the link below http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gelert-Stealth-Two-Man-Tent/dp/...mp;sr=1-19

Update Reply
6ypsy @ 10/01/2011 23:13  

Thanks to all for your guidance , just got a vango tempest 3 man, it should do the job ok. I'm taking names for foot warmer volunteers.

Update Reply
whackojacko @ 13/01/2011 16:26  

Nice looking tent and a good price Gypsy!

Update Reply
Rattay @ 13/01/2011 17:18  

Just bought that second link of yours 6ypsy, as you said its a little bigger packed, than my existing one, it doesn't go in my holdall by about an inch ...... no matter that's what black plastic sacks are for.

For £25 bargain!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 13/01/2011 20:28  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email