MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Santa Claus, an engineer's perspective

Santa Claus, an engineer's perspective - Forums [Biker Match] Santa Claus, an engineer's perspective - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Santa Claus, an engineer's perspective

SANTA CLAUS<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p> AN ENGINEERS PERSPECTIVE<o:p></o:p> 1. There are approximately two billion children (persons under 18) in the world, however, since Santa does not visit children of Hindu, Muslim, Jewish or Buddhist regions, this reduces the workload for Christmas night to 15% of the total, or 378 million. ( according to the population bureau). At an average rate of 3.5 children per household, that comes to 108 million homes, presuming that there is at least one good child in each home<o:p></o:p> 2. Santa has 31 hours of Christmas to work with, thanks to different time zones and the rotation of the Earth, assuming he works East to West which seems logical. This works out to 967.7 visits per second. That is to say, for every Christian household with a good child, Santa has 1/1000 of a second to park the sleigh, hop out, jump down the chimney, fill the stockings, distribute the remaining presents under the tree, eat whatever snacks have been left for him, get back up the chimney, jump on the sleigh and get on to the next house. Assuming that each of these 108 million stops is evenly distributed around the Earth (which of course, we know to be false, but will accept for the purpose of our calculations). We are talking about 1.25 Km per household, a total of 120.8 million Km, not counting bathroom stops or breaks. This means that Santa’s sleigh is travelling at 1040 Km per second ........ 3000 times the speed of sound !!! For purposes of comparison, the fastest man made vehicle, (excluding my bike of course) the Ulysses space probe, moves at a pokey 43.8 Km per second, and a conventional Reindeer can run, at best, 25 Km per hour.<o:p></o:p> 3. The pay load of the sleigh adds another interesting element. Assuming that each child gets nothing more than a medium Lego set at two pounds weight, the sleigh is carrying over 500 thousand tons, not counting Santa himself. On land, a conventional Reindeer can pull no more than 300 pounds, even granted that the ‘’flying’’ reindeer could pull ten times the normal amount, the job cannot be done with even Eight or Nine of them... Santa would need 360,000 of them. This increases the payload, not counting the weight of the sleigh, another 54,000 tons. That is roughly seven times the weight of the Queen Elizabeth (the ship, not the Monarch).<o:p></o:p> 4. 600,000 tons travelling at 1040 Km per second creates enormous air resistance, this would heat up the leading Reindeer in the same fashion as a space shuttle re-entering the Earth’s atmosphere. The lead pair of reindeer would absorb 14.3 quintillion joules of energy per second each. In short, they would burst into flames almost instantaneously, exposing the reindeer behind them and creating deafening sonic booms in their wake. The entire Reindeer team would be vaporised within 4.26 thousands of a second, or about the time that Santa reaches the fifth house on his trip. Not that it matters, however, since Santa, as a result of accelerating from a dead stop to 1040 Km per second in just .001 seconds, would be subjected to centrifugal forces of 17,500 G’s. A 250 Lb Santa (which seems ludicrously slim) would be pinned to back of the sleigh by 4,315,015 pounds of force, instantly crushing his bones and organs and reducing him to a quivering blob of pink goo.<o:p></o:p> 5. Therefore, if Santa did exist, he is dead now.<o:p></o:p> <o:p> </o:p> MERRY CHRISTMAS<o:p></o:p> Ha, Bumhug !!!<o:p></o:p>

Update Reply
GreasyTony @ 23/12/2010 14:23  

Hmm,... and exactly HOW bored were you to figure all that out? Saying that, at this time of year,.. probably the same as me!!

Update Reply
Paj1369 @ 23/12/2010 14:50  

Brilliant!

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 23/12/2010 15:25  

Wasn't bored paj .. .. just led up with flu bug. Gotta keep mind occupied, so worked that lot out ........... Yeah right !!!!!!!!! Cheers WB

Update Reply
GreasyTony @ 23/12/2010 19:20  

..but everyone knows it's magic, GT!! Tho I guess it explains why Rudolph has a red nose !!

Update Reply
Alice2 @ 23/12/2010 19:39  

Funny enough,When I happened to look up at the night sky a couple of weeks ago I saw what was probably the first team of reindeer burning up through the atmosphere..whoooosh!

Update Reply
Wraith750 @ 23/12/2010 20:11  

The reindeers do get a brief respite though when they go Down Under.... Due to the heat he breaks out 6 white Boomers.

For those of you who don't know what a boomer is .... Its a rather large Kangaroo.

Update Reply
jabecs @ 23/12/2010 20:39  

thanks for shattering that illusion! Santa is really pink goo!

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 23/12/2010 21:04  

Just ran this past a Cambridge computer boffin chum. His reply is as follows (and yes, he likes his capital letters!):

William
I¹m far from CONVINCED ;=)

An adjustment is needed for the Christians who SHUN the PAGAN excesses unrelated to the Nativity Gospels.

Also the assumption about GOOD-CHILD distribution lacks both EMPIRICAL and THEOLOGICAL EVIDENCE! Google ORIGINAL SIN!

Major flaws though: SAINTS DEFY the puny LAWS of human ENGINEERS. In particular, NO TRAVELING in spacetime is needed for OMNIPRESENT entities.

Just in: Santa Claus Inc. OUTSOURCES to AMAZON and DHL.

PS: SAINTS NEVER DIE.

Update Reply
Wills @ 23/12/2010 21:18  

LMAO ... love the thread & Wills' friends reply

It does prove one thing tho .... even a geek never grows up & still loves Xmas

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 23/12/2010 21:21  

The workload would be less as he doesn't visit Jehovah Witnesses either. Instead they just visit everyone else.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 23/12/2010 22:41  

hahahhahaha @ricdude!! thats about right.

Update Reply
Boodyblues @ 24/12/2010 13:50  

Wills you beat me to it! Couldn't have put it better myself.

Update Reply
yamahama @ 24/12/2010 20:06  

Please don't post CAPS in forum subjects BECAUSE IT LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE SHOUTING. Thanks

Update Reply
Matt @ 25/12/2010 11:02  

so SHOUTING AT THE SCREEN OK? what if we are turned away from it? surely as they are alegedly all female reindeer (malesat this time of year have lost their antelers) they would have more sense than to pull a dangerously un engineered craft? so q.e.d. it must be possible, therfore true? my neice says santa is just cool.

Update Reply
oldyeti @ 25/12/2010 19:31  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email