MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle Events & Rides Out

Bike Show NEC - 27th Nove to 5th Dec

Bike Show NEC - 27th Nove to 5th Dec (3) - Forums [Biker Match] Bike Show NEC - 27th Nove to 5th Dec (3) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle Events & Rides Out /

Bike Show NEC - 27th Nove to 5th Dec

Moonstone and I went on Saturday. We bought tickets in advance and arrived just as they opened the doors at 10:00 am. We stayed until 4:00 pm, having had a thorough look around. It was good to see all the manufacturers represented there including the Piaggio group who have been absent for several years although there's no way I'm ever likely to buy another Aprilia! The new Kawasakis - ZX-10R and Z1000SX were interesting too. Moonstone tried a few bikes for size and liked the 600 Diversion although one of the Yamaha staff didn't understand my suggestion that as the Dai version it must have been built in Wales. The show seemed to be a bit small and hard to find your way around. However, we did get some bargains including a half price Gore-Tex jacket for Moonstone. Overall, it was a good day out.

I charged my camera batteries a couple of days before so I didn't have the same problem as you, Kwak and bashed off plenty of pics. I'll try to put some of them on the site when I have time.

Update Reply
Cataraptor @ 06/12/2010 07:24  

Went on sunday Payed on the door and have got to say thay wont be getting my money again the show was small and very over priced, bikes covered in screming kids did not enhance the overall experience

Update Reply
JP @ 06/12/2010 07:41  

I charged my camera batteries a couple of days before so I didn't have the same problem as you, Kwak and bashed off plenty of pics. I'll try to put some of them on the site when I have time. My batteries were fully charged Cata, just the wrong sort for my camera, I forgot I need some Lithium, trust me to have a camera that needs expensive batteries. Well, expensive to me and can only buy them at 'Boots'. I can't seem to find them anywhere else. Altho expensive they do last a long time. I look forward to seeing your photos, Cata, thanks. I didn't think the show was small, my legs agree with me lol. Altho I'd never ride a scooter I particularly loved the different styles and colourways to the modern ones. Not usually a kid-friendly person I think the ones that were there when I was were quite well behaved considering how boring it must be for most of them. It was great to see some of the young uns (future bikers) taking up the offer to have a go on the off-road bikes tho I wasn't impressed with one of the two guys who was supposed to be supervising them, he kept looking at his mobile phone and then left the track to give a 'short interview' to some woman with a notebook. Also not impressed with them offering the show guide at extra cost, especially as it was in with the price some years ago and an extra charge to see the Motocross show didn't impress me either. Like £17 to enter and £8 (£7 if you prepay) to park a car aint enough to pay out before ya get there.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 06/12/2010 07:54  

Not looking forward to the pics from this ......................... cue the quotes ...............

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 06/12/2010 11:22  

Pics just posted. I'm fortunate (or foresighted) to have a camera which takes four AA batteries and I use rechargeable ones carrying a spare set as well.

As far as the costs were concerned, I booked in advance at £15 per ticket and £7 for car parking. Bike parking - how I usually traveled when I was on my own, is free and secure so if you're not buying tons of kit, it's the best way to get there. I did think there was limited choice and expensive catering. We limited lunch to a couple of sandwiches, a bag of crisps between us and two teas. And that was dear enough. At least it wasn't full of screaming kids clambering over the bikes on Saturday.

However, in spite of these shortcomings, we enjoyed the day and will probably go to the next one.

Update Reply
Cataraptor @ 06/12/2010 20:25  

I used to go to this show in the past,up until a few years back,but I find it way too expensive for a day out;ticket prices rapidly heading for the £20 mark plus extra charge for car parking(like,where else are you likely to go if you park there anyway?)-other shows at the NEC have free parking,so why do they have to charge for this one?Catering at events is usually overpriced too for snack sized portions of warm "food"& poor quality hot drinks.
I find that events like the Classic shows at Stafford or Stoneleigh are far better value for money,with lower ticket prices(around a tenner)& free parking.Still the same old catering,though.

Update Reply
Wraith750 @ 06/12/2010 22:30  

To be fair we had dinner there in one of the food halls and had suasage mash and onion gravy good size meal and very tasty was £6.50 ish but was very filling

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/12/2010 23:04  

Snap! rockchick1965, I had that too. I didn't have the gravy cos Ian didn't know if I wanted any, but as you say it was onion gravy I'm glad he didn't put any on my dinner It was £5.95 so perhaps the gravy was 55p? lol. You're right tho it was very tasty and filling. The baguettes were £3.95. Someone should have a word!! I mean, how can they justify their prices?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 07/12/2010 00:40  

went on saturday with ghosty,had a good look around,sat on a few,but was ready to come home after a cpl hours,enjoyed it tho,and bumped into a few friends too!

Update Reply
witchiest @ 07/12/2010 21:29  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email