MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Honda CBF1000 comments please

Honda CBF1000 comments please - Forums [Biker Match] Honda CBF1000 comments please - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Honda CBF1000 comments please

I am thinking about buying a 2006 Honda CBF1000 on 33,000 miles, those of you out there that has or had one, would like to know your comments on these bikes. How did you get on with it, and any common probems i should be made aware of ??? Best regards Brat.

Update Reply
Brathu @ 08/11/2010 17:36  

It's a Honda it does what you want for a 1000 cc in that style, link brakes are good, it's smooth with the gear change and all round , comfyish bike with smooth linear power.
The bike i rode was a 59 plate about 4 months ago that was an insurance loaner, as two up goes i don't know.
I can't say it was dynamic in any way but if you don't want to go for a FZ1 or Triumph ST it might be for you but test ride one first if you can.
My money would go if it was a Honda on the VFR800 or if you can stretch to a new one go for the Z1000sx.

Update Reply
sdv9r @ 08/11/2010 23:54  

Cheers sdv9r, have tried, and liked. Tick's all the boxes for what i intend to use it for, commute, long trips, general workhorse sorta thing. Just wondered if there were any common faults, though they do seem to have a good reputation (being a Honda, tis only natural). Regards Brat.

Update Reply
Brathu @ 10/11/2010 19:56  

Hi Brat I find mine smooth, plenty torque. two ups still pulls well, i have done a few big runs up with pillion, nae probs. Took it all over europe loaded up with luggage, i got a full honda hard luggage and its fab, also use a tail pack and have a single rack for its as well if I dont want to take a full set luggage, handled well, always enough power, no bad size tank, depending how hard you hammer it up to 160- 170 miles to tank... i get a little less :) No petrol warning light so I always fuel up at around 140 ish Comfy seat, good riding position ( well for me) and 3 height adjustments, so suits short arses like me.... or bigger blokes like you. Karen.x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/11/2010 16:33  

I know i'm going to upset people who have one of these, Goes well in a straight line but don't do it if you like bikes which go round corners and don't handle like a shopping trolley, I had one lent to me fairy recently and couldn't wait to give it back. sorry

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/12/2010 22:01  

Hi Star, thank's for that have ridden them, and liked, so yeah soon i'll be buying one me think's. Hey Blade, that's your opinion mate, i test rode one a little while ago, and liked the way it turned, though it did feel like it tucked in a little compared to my Ducati, all the best, and watch out for that Fairy, lol. Regards Brat.

Update Reply
Brathu @ 20/12/2010 17:00  

Hi Blade I live not far from perthshire and the highlands...some of the best twisties in scotland, I do give it some and never had a problem with cbf yet.... ok shes not a sports bike and handles differently, but when you get used to the way she runs and corners, its no problem... I aint got chicken strips on my rubber.... :) so she cant be that bad ... Star .. :)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/12/2010 11:48  

My mate rides one really likes it but the build quality is not as good as Hondas once were and its on its second generator a known fault think he has done about 25k on it, its an 06 plate

Update Reply
mr t @ 21/12/2010 15:57  

My mate rides one really likes it but the build quality is not as good as Hondas once were and its on its second generator a known fault think he has done about 25k on it, its an 06 plate

Update Reply
mr t @ 21/12/2010 15:57  

mmm must need a drink !!

Update Reply
mr t @ 21/12/2010 15:58  

Not had any problems touch wood, mine is 57 plate and done 17000 miles since i got it .... althought got mine 2nd hand with 170 miles on the clock in early 2008 as the guy did not like it :) Fingers crossed xxxxxxxx eeeek :)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/12/2010 16:07  

Not had any problems touch wood, mine is 57 plate and done 17000 miles since i got it .... althought got mine 2nd hand with 170 miles on the clock in early 2008 as the guy did not like it :) Fingers crossed xxxxxxxx eeeek :)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/12/2010 16:07  

It was not me it was the site that did it :)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/12/2010 16:08  

Oh yer think i will use that excuse too !!!!

Update Reply
mr t @ 21/12/2010 16:20  

Hi Star & Brat, Perhaps i just had a bad example, it was almost 3 years old after all, But having heard good thing's i was hugly disapointed by the bike, i had it for about 2 weeks, when the SP was at the doctors and i really tried to like it, as was thinking about getting one for touring duties, being a bit of a Hondaman, It's a lovely comfortable bike and in a straight line it was decently quick, but on my commute into work keeping the speeds to sensible levels, the suspension was way too soft especially at the back, it was bucking and weaving like a mad thing,

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/12/2010 17:17  

I've just been given a few days free membership, so whilst I can, I'll add my two-penneth-worth although starstaff has said most of it........

Firstly - no bike is perfect and there will be different opinions on everything. It depends on what the the rider wants from a bike, their riding ability and what they are comparing it to.

I've been riding almost 30 yrs and ridden mostly Guzzi's so getting a Honda 4 was quite a difference!

I've owned my CBF1000 since May and absolutely love it. It's not a lightweight sports bike and the build is relatively cheap, so handling is different. But as an overall bike, it's brilliant.

Setting up the suspension for the rider (or buy Ohlins) & getting the right tyres (standard BT57s are awful) will make a difference.

There is a cbf1000.com forum which has lots of information and the occasional bike for sale.

Common faults seem to be:
1. Failure of the alternator, but there seems to be no definitive point when or if that fails.
2. Shaking handlebars - but only noticable if you remove both hands from the bars.

My bike, when unloaded (except me) will ride perfectly straight when I ride hands-free at low speeds. But when loaded up the handlebars wobble at an alarming level. It does not worry me - I've had worse handling bikes than that! lol

Fuel consumption is debatable - 180 on a good day, 140 on a brisk ride. The problem is, it's so easy to ride, 140 starts to become the norm.... LOL

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/12/2010 19:22  

Hey guy's thanks again for all the feed- back. Been warned bye a (2nd hand) bike dealer to watch out for chain and sprocket wear ??? Is this an issue, or just the fact he wanted to sell me a Deuville (shaft drive) ???????? lol. Brat.

Update Reply
Brathu @ 24/12/2010 12:24  

Beware it's a Honda

Update Reply
yamahama @ 24/12/2010 22:34  

DOH, all bikes have chain and sprocket wear and that sort of bike and power will always have "wear"

A dullville as an alternative????

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/12/2010 00:18  

Hey, Yamahama, you must be the only person i have known to put the word's "beware" and "Honda" in the same sentance, lol. Cheer's Shadowfax, s'pose i was more having a stab at the dealer ;-) and, to be honest, if the bike didn't look so un-inspiring, i would buy a Dullville, lol. All the best. Brat. ps, Merry Christmas.

Update Reply
Brathu @ 25/12/2010 14:39  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email